News Article: Kerfoot work ethic Excellent...

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Kerfoot has the second-worst possession stats on the team (47.5 FF%), but unlike the two guys he's sandwiched between (Mikheyev and Engvall), he gets >50% o-zone starts probably thanks to the time he spent with Tavares.

His 5v5 scoring rates are decent and are consistent with last year, but they're also just on par with Galchenyuk, only somewhat better than Vesey and Johnsson (last year), and worse than Kapanen's. On a team with stars making top dollar, he's the kind of guy you hope to replace with ELC prospects like Robertson/Amirov and/or bargain bin UFAs.

If he goes on a tear in the playoffs, maybe he'll make a compelling case to stay.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nobody on here was saying kerfoot was the best of the three before kap or mango got traded. Just asinine levels of cognitive dissonance

Actually I did say he was the most valuable, as of the three similar talent and impact players, he was the only one that played C.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Mediocre numbers and is 38.7% at the faceoff dot for $3.5M aav. Sure as hell better hustle and forecheck doggedly.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Mediocre numbers and is 38.7% at the faceoff dot for $3.5M aav. Sure as hell better hustle and forecheck doggedly.
Keefe having him take faceoffs with Spezza and Joe out there is a complete mystery to me. I mean we bring out Spezza for PK defensive faceoffs, because he’s so good, yet he defers to the worst guy on the dot when the 4th is out. I don’t get it, Kerfoot is abysmal at faceoffs.

Reactions: justashadowof

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Most players have become overpaid because of the sudden flat cap COVID market.

He's a good player that's overpaid about 0.5m in a non flat cap COVID market.

If he hit the open market he'd likely make somewhere between 1.75-2.75m, probably somewhere a little above the middle of that. In a non flat cap COVID market guys who hit the open market are normally slightly overpaid but now it's almost as if they get a little underpaid due to there be so little money available to be spent or go around.

Moving him in the offseason once he signs his signing bonus should not be that hard at all, I'd guess that he could maybe even pull a better return than what Johnsson did (Joey Anderson).

For a cap-strapped team like the Leafs that have paid their stars handsomely, they need the rest of their roster filled out as much as possible with contracts that are either below market value or bargains.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Actually I did say he was the most valuable, as of the three similar talent and impact players, he was the only one that played C.
tongue in cheek, meant many people actually regarded him as the worst. Can see that some people took position into account. Given how numbers based you are i believe it if you say it

Reactions: zeke

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He's a fine middle-six player, but his contract is also the obvious fat that needs to be trimmed so we can stretch that money a little further.

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
Alex Kerfoot:

upload_2021-4-4_9-27-22.jpeg

He’s a decent player lol. Just Vanilla, dime a dozen imo and not an ideal bottom 6er for a skill team. Need more of a compliment and he’s more of the same.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I thought Kerfoot had a good game against Calgary tonight. His skating looked stronger than it has in some time, he dished the puck well, was defensively responsible, a fine effort. As @DarkKnight points out, when playing with Spezza it is curious that Jason doesn't take the draw. That said, I won't complain about AK's effort tonight.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I like the guy and he works hard but at that cap hit he needs to either be the perfect fit on the 2ndine wing or drive the 3rd line. He hasn't done either and a 4th liner can't be taking up that cap on this team.

But part of me thinks it'll click, maybe next year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He’s a puck hound and getting better. Someone said he dime a dozen. I don’t think he’s dime a dozen at all. Interesting nonetheless how everyone is missing the improvements in his game. He’s turning in to a really solid checking center. I trust him all situations because his defensive awareness is wayyy better than last year.

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The takes on kerfoot and Engvall this year prove that no matter how much they scream about it, leafs fans in general have no idea what being good defensively looks like.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The takes on kerfoot and Engvall this year prove that no matter how much they scream about it, leafs fans in general have no idea what being good defensively looks like.
The AAV is the issue with #15, if he was making 1.5 aav nobody would say anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad