Kerby Rychel

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Apparently our old pal Kurt Overhardt and papa Rychel met with management to talk about his status on the team in Traverse City...

His father should know better. As far as his position in the org; tell the kid to worry about his game. In other words, beat people out.

thebus2288*

... Heck, we got Brandon Saad in a deal centering around Marko Dano. Why can't Rychel bring in a solid return as well?

Just to nitpick, it might be seen really close long term, like 60-40, but IMO the trade "centered" around Anisimov not Dano.

but if the team is going to make a serious run at a top pairing defenseman next summer, chances are they have to make a decision on whether or not they deal prospects (Rychel, Bjorkstrand, Milano, 2016 first) as part of a deal -- or they deal someone from the top-six group of forwards with the anticipation that these prospects can step into that role.

This is where some of my "hate" comes from. You're definitely not the only person whose says (or doesn't say) this type of stuff. While he isn't seen as a "prospect" to most people or a "top 6 forward" I don't get how you can mention all these guys as "trade bait" and not mention Wennberg. If an opportunity opened up to get a legit top D man, a 3rd line center could be acquired if we had to move the Swedish Great One.

Anisimov, and prospect Dano, weren't likely to ever fill that role, and had become expendable by other players on the roster.

Just go a little easy on the Dano and Anisimov hate eh. Without mentioning the fact that Nick Foligno still plays for the Columbus Blue Jackets and is a legit top line winger and "arguably" better than Saad, frankly IMO if you were to keep both and plug 1 of them (either AA or Dano) on the top line and have AA center the 3rd line or have Dano on the wing there, I really don't know if the CBJ are a better or worse team. While he is a different player, and younger, Saad is not that much better than Anisimov. There's a reason our newly touted defenseman prospect Paliotta had to be added to the trade.

I'm a big Rychel fan. I'll be a little honest, I've never understood the Rychel dissing on the board ... the guy has done nothing but quietly develop into an NHL ready prospect, arguably the most ready player in the system. I think he could step into the second or third line and be a productive player this year, but he's buried in the numbers game.

The main reason we haven't seen him dealt for another player, IMO, is because Jarmo and his staff value him too much to add much else into the deal. He's in a tough spot, but I think if he competes hard and plays his game throughout camp, he's a dark horse to be on the opening night roster.

This isn't just you, but I've seen so many posts that 'attack' his character with no stories or facts. Whats so bad about the kid?

I'm with you guys 95% on this though, but, I think I know the answer...

Apparently our old pal Kurt Overhardt and papa Rychel met with management to talk about his status on the team in Traverse City...

Puck Rakers:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
In case anyone forgot; Overhardt had a very contentious contract negotiation with the team on Rychel's ELC.

Not to mention, he was the antagonist of last year's offseason circus with Ryan Johansen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dad and agent are apparent problems. (Dad is simply a parent problem:laugh:). Nice of Jarmo and Zito to meet with them. Hopefully they told them to piss off.

Only way I see Rychel being traded is for an equally promising young D.

For those who see him as part of a package for an experienced D - realistically who trades a top 4 D man this time of year?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
While he isn't seen as a "prospect" to most people or a "top 6 forward" I don't get how you can mention all these guys as "trade bait" and not mention Wennberg. If an opportunity opened up to get a legit top D man, a 3rd line center could be acquired if we had to move the Swedish Great One.

I'm with you that I don't see Wennberg as any higher-profile player in the pecking order than those guys. But I think the explanation is a simple one, which you acknowledge. Yes, the team could acquire a third-line center (or move, say, Jenner), but the answers to fill on the spots in the organization occupied by those other players are a little more obvious, given the depth at wing.

Anyway this thread isn't about Wennberg, it's about Rychel, so I'll move off that topic.

Dad and agent are apparent problems. (Dad is simply a parent problem:laugh:). Nice of Jarmo and Zito to meet with them. Hopefully they told them to piss off.

I would think the FO would meet with any player's reps, should it be feasible to do so. I don't see that as either "nice" by Jarmo nor as necessarily a negative for Rychels' dad and agent. I realize they have a reputation, but not every meeting needs to have a nefarious back-story.

If Kerby can slot in Hartnell's spot soon, I'm all in favor. But I'd prefer he be the young version of Hartnell. If the team needs someone to replace the veteran version of Hartnell, they can go get someone who's a veteran.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
nor as necessarily a negative for Rychels' dad and agent. I realize they have a reputation, but not every meeting needs to have a nefarious back-story.

What is Rychel, 12? Your Dad doesn't meet with your boss and agent. This isn't a predraft kid. A tour at Nationwide during a game or preseason game is ok. If his Dad is discussing his place in the org? No.

You are right there is a remote chance that his agent just happened to be there with his Dad and they wanted to have a beer. Do you really believe that though?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
What is Rychel, 12? Your Dad doesn't meet with your boss and agent. This isn't a predraft kid. A tour at Nationwide during a game or preseason game is ok. If his Dad is discussing his place in the org? No.

You are right there is a remote chance that his agent just happened to be there with his Dad and they wanted to have a beer. Do you really believe that though?

Like others here, I've also heard some stuff from people I trust about his dad being a real pain in the ass from a CBJ front office perspective. This report is in line with that premise - his dad shouldn't be meeting with Zito to ask about his kid's place in the organization.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Like others here, I've also heard some stuff from people I trust about his dad being a real pain in the ass from a CBJ front office perspective. This report is in line with that premise - his dad shouldn't be meeting with Zito to ask about his kid's place in the organization.
Again, unsubstantiated, but I heard the FO was unhappy that Rychel took so long to get back from his concussion and wasn't pleased with his effort level (similar to Joey when he got sent down for the AHL playoffs).

They also basically told his dad and agent to butt out.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
no ill will towards KR...but papa and agent are not looking out for his best interests...would rather trade him now (this year) and be done with it...

what would Hartnell and Rychel get us???? :laugh:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

StanleyCup.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
no ill will towards KR...but papa and agent are not looking out for his best interests...would rather trade him now (this year) and be done with it...

I'm pretty sure Rychels interests are to start in the nhl so he can start making some serious $. There are a few teams where he would be a valuable scoring forward right now.

There's also no reason to think Warren and the agent don't have his interests at heart. If anything, we should presume that they are acting more in his interest than Kerby's bosses (jarmo and jd) are.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Only way I see Rychel being traded is for an equally promising young D.

For those who see him as part of a package for an experienced D - realistically who trades a top 4 D man this time of year?

Even if we trade him, it wouldn't be now. What's he going to do, not report to our AHL team. :laugh: he has no leverage. Also, we can't take money back in a trade.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I'm sure any message sent from WR and his agent are just echoing things Kerby has said to them behind the scenes. If Kerby disagreed with them and didn't want this meeting to happen or for them to be involved, I'm sure at least his agent would butt out.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'm sure any message sent from WR and his agent are just echoing things Kerby has said to them behind the scenes. If Kerby disagreed with them and didn't want this meeting to happen or for them to be involved, I'm sure at least his agent would butt out.

when I think of Kurt Overhardt...I think "butting out" :shakehead

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
when I think of Kurt Overhardt...I think "butting out" :shakehead

KO is just doing his job. If Kerby and Warren are unhappy and they let it known to KO, it's his job to do what his client wants

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Are not all of their best interests closely intertwined?

No, completely different. Jarmo/jd have more of an interest in minimizing kerbys contract, and in taking a slower development path if there's a sliding elc.

Kerby and Warren want to maximize the contract and get him on an nhl roster.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

...Islanders can't sign Brock Nelson......

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I want to see Rychel get a chance with the CBJ

He was a 1st round pick that could have gone higher.. a frame that could be a power forward if his skating improves... Rychel should only be traded if someone over pays for him - he's going to Syracuse to keep getting better

If I'm Rychel's Dad or his agent, I'm meeting with the FO too, just not in as pretentious a manner, i.e. no one would ever know that meeting even took place - maybe over a Hyde Parke steak and a nice scotch.

To make the meeting so deliberate probably wasn't a good thing

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
He was a 1st round pick that could have gone higher.. a frame that could be a power forward if his skating improves... Rychel should only be traded if someone over pays for him - he's going to Syracuse to keep getting better

If I'm Rychel's Dad or his agent, I'm meeting with the FO too, just not in as pretentious a manner, i.e. no one would ever know that meeting even took place - maybe over a Hyde Parke steak and a nice scotch.

To make the meeting so deliberate probably wasn't a good thing

Huh???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad