Kerby Rychel

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Profile piece:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778735

Rychel, known for his intensity and a cerebral approach to the game, says he knows that the forward side of the Jackets’ roster is full of talent and he’s ready to make his own push.

“There’s a lot of guys here and not too many spots (in Columbus),†Rychel said. “I’m going to play as hard as I can and we’ll see what happens.â€

I know we've touched in Kerby on other threads. But...

What is your thought on him in the short-term? Long-term?

I will admit he wasn't my favorite pick, and thus I've sort of held him in lesser regard as a prospect, despite the fact I know what his skill-set is and what many here think of him. I've been wrong before.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I still think he's "Most Likely Prospect Dealt In A Deal For A Top 2 Defenseman"

have liked his all around game...just in my (very) limited dealings with him, I think he has an attitude we are trying to clean up here...but the kid is talented...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ive been one of the hardest people on him and after the draft said Dano would have the same or more impact and the league which made people think i was crazy :laugh:. He has the ability to be like Jenner with a little less hitting but more goal scoring ability but he has to put in more work

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have no idea. There is a glut of F's and I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded but then again I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit in the A on and off for 2 years and then take Hartnell's spot after his deal is up or if Hartnell is traded.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think he's a top-9 ready NHL forward that's simply stuck behind those with more experience/bigger contracts. He's a prime trade asset and/or Hartnell replacement.

Personally this is what I hope happens. Id much rather trade Hartnell and let Rychel fill his shoes. We're definitely going to need the relief around the time Johansen resigns and I'd rather get something for Hartnell instead of just letting him walk for nothing.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
I think he's underrated on these boards. Early last season I came to the conclusion that Rychel and Dano were both NHL ready and Wennberg wasn't. But obviously Wennberg playing C makes him the more valuable asset. I'm still not totally sold on Wennberg and I'm upset about Dano being dealt (hopefully Saad makes me forget all about Dano after a year or two). I'm REALLY hoping that they don't deal Rychel for a D man but I can understand why that is the type of move that would make sense if another team willing to move a D man for a winger prospect.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think Rychel needs to battle hard every moment

He is in position to make himself the 1st or 2nd callup if he just plays his game.. I look forward to the day he is a mainstay in our top 9. I don't think anyone will trade for his true value.. so play him and give him the chance to earn NHL time with the CBJ.

I have been guilty of wanting to trade him for Dougie Hamilton.. some of the best trades are the ones you don't make

thebus2288*

I think he's underrated on these boards. Early last season I came to the conclusion that Rychel and Dano were both NHL ready and Wennberg wasn't. But obviously Wennberg playing C makes him the more valuable asset. I'm still not totally sold on Wennberg and I'm upset about Dano being dealt (hopefully Saad makes me forget all about Dano after a year or two). I'm REALLY hoping that they don't deal Rychel for a D man but I can understand why that is the type of move that would make sense if another team willing to move a D man for a winger prospect.

All of this.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm a big Rychel fan. I'll be a little honest, I've never understood the Rychel dissing on the board ... the guy has done nothing but quietly develop into an NHL ready prospect, arguably the most ready player in the system. I think he could step into the second or third line and be a productive player this year, but he's buried in the numbers game.

The main reason we haven't seen him dealt for another player, IMO, is because Jarmo and his staff value him too much to add much else into the deal. He's in a tough spot, but I think if he competes hard and plays his game throughout camp, he's a dark horse to be on the opening night roster.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
He has the ability to be like Jenner

:thumbu: right words. We have to keep Rychel, because..because of Jenner' spine. I like both Jenner and Rychel, IMHO they both can play but I am not sure about Boone's vertebrae, :( ( too atypical damage for young player).
What about our medical and conditioning staff, nothing happened, flourishing again as always?:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm a big Rychel fan. I'll be a little honest, I've never understood the Rychel dissing on the board ... the guy has done nothing but quietly develop into an NHL ready prospect, arguably the most ready player in the system. I think he could step into the second or third line and be a productive player this year, but he's buried in the numbers game.

The main reason we haven't seen him dealt for another player, IMO, is because Jarmo and his staff value him too much to add much else into the deal. He's in a tough spot, but I think if he competes hard and plays his game throughout camp, he's a dark horse to be on the opening night roster.

I dont think dissing is the proper word there. Ive been really hard on him, maybe its just because i see another level in him.

There were too many times id see him too tentative in board battles where he would stay back and just hope the puck gets to him instead of using his size and strength to get in there and win them or sloppy back checks. I think he started developing a couple bad habits in Windsor where he was the offense for awhile so that became more of his focus then the all around play.

I think a lot of us see the same potential with him like a good top 6 or complimentary 1st liner in the mold of Hartnell but like any young guy there are areas that need work and consistency

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I still think he's "Most Likely Prospect Dealt In A Deal For A Top 2 Defenseman"

have liked his all around game...just in my (very) limited dealings with him, I think he has an attitude we are trying to clean up here...but the kid is talented...

And how are we going to make room in the cap for this top 2 defenseman? Plus, with our cap number, we are going to have to trade or not sign a few forwards in the next couple of years and he is a perfect replacement for one of them, IMO.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I dont think dissing is the proper word there. Ive been really hard on him, maybe its just because i see another level in him.

There were too many times id see him too tentative in board battles where he would stay back and just hope the puck gets to him instead of using his size and strength to get in there and win them or sloppy back checks. I think he started developing a couple bad habits in Windsor where he was the offense for awhile so that became more of his focus then the all around play.

I think a lot of us see the same potential with him like a good top 6 or complimentary 1st liner in the mold of Hartnell but like any young guy there are areas that need work and consistency

You make some great points here, but much of what you mentioned is part of being a young player that needs to develop. I like the way he has progressed since he's been drafted, which says a lot because I wasn't too high on him when he was selected. I think dealing him away without getting an age appropriate (23-27 year old) defenseman in return is a mistake. So, I'm all for holding onto him until if/when that happens ... Heck, we got Brandon Saad in a deal centering around Marko Dano. Why can't Rychel bring in a solid return as well?

It's a tough spot since the lineup is so deep, but injuries will start to pile up. The Red Wings (hate using this analogy, but I'll do it here) have had success for a couple of decades because of this exact scenario. Nobody would have expected Gustav Nyquist to come into the lineup and produce the way he has, but there is something to be said for guys who have to bide their time and work hard for their opportunities. Rychel will learn what it takes to play in the NHL, at which point, he will come into the NHL a grittier, harder working forward.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You make some great points here, but much of what you mentioned is part of being a young player that needs to develop. I like the way he has progressed since he's been drafted, which says a lot because I wasn't too high on him when he was selected. I think dealing him away without getting an age appropriate (23-27 year old) defenseman in return is a mistake. So, I'm all for holding onto him until if/when that happens ... Heck, we got Brandon Saad in a deal centering around Marko Dano. Why can't Rychel bring in a solid return as well?

It's a tough spot since the lineup is so deep, but injuries will start to pile up. The Red Wings (hate using this analogy, but I'll do it here) have had success for a couple of decades because of this exact scenario. Nobody would have expected Gustav Nyquist to come into the lineup and produce the way he has, but there is something to be said for guys who have to bide their time and work hard for their opportunities. Rychel will learn what it takes to play in the NHL, at which point, he will come into the NHL a grittier, harder working forward.

I see him making his full time debut in 2 years after Boll and Campbell and Bourque are all gone and Hartnell has one additional year left on his deal. At that point he should have a nice blend of solid AHL experience plus some NHL experience.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I see him making his full time debut in 2 years after Boll and Campbell and Bourque are all gone and Hartnell has one additional year left on his deal. At that point he should have a nice blend of solid AHL experience plus some NHL experience.

I think he'll be there before then, but we're talking semantics either way :laugh:

I think he competes for a job seriously next fall and makes someone expendable. Not sure who that is, but if the team is going to make a serious run at a top pairing defenseman next summer, chances are they have to make a decision on whether or not they deal prospects (Rychel, Bjorkstrand, Milano, 2016 first) as part of a deal -- or they deal someone from the top-six group of forwards with the anticipation that these prospects can step into that role.

That's the next step in the evolution of this franchise ... making tough, rash decisions to improve weak areas of the lineup, by using depth and quality at other positions. We saw the tip of that iceberg when the team acquired Brandon Saad.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he'll be there before then, but we're talking semantics either way :laugh:

I think he competes for a job seriously next fall and makes someone expendable. Not sure who that is, but if the team is going to make a serious run at a top pairing defenseman next summer, chances are they have to make a decision on whether or not they deal prospects (Rychel, Bjorkstrand, Milano, 2016 first) as part of a deal -- or they deal someone from the top-six group of forwards with the anticipation that these prospects can step into that role.

That's the next step in the evolution of this franchise ... making tough, rash decisions to improve weak areas of the lineup, by using depth and quality at other positions. We saw the tip of that iceberg when the team acquired Brandon Saad.

I agree but I think you meant rational not rash decisions?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Heck, we got Brandon Saad in a deal centering around Marko Dano. Why can't Rychel bring in a solid return as well?

Because he's buried in the lineup, hasn't been able to prove himself at the highest level.

I don't think two-way 50-60 pt forwards was a weak point for us.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Because he's buried in the lineup, hasn't been able to prove himself at the highest level.

I don't think two-way 50-60 pt forwards was a weak point for us.

Your point is moot because Brandon Saad has become that at 22 years old. It's like saying that Ryan Johansen is "just a 70 point center" ... how often do 22 year old two-time Cup winning forwards become available? Particularly when they are already proven 50-60 point guys?

I think Saad, like Johansen, is only starting to scratch the surface of his potential. All it cost to get him was two guys who fit nowhere into the future of the lineup, a third line center, and a prospect who, at his absolute best, will be a 50-60 point player.

I definitely call that improving a weak point in the roster. Saad is the top line wing that the team needed to play alongside its top line center for the next half dozen years. The guys they gave up -- Tropp, Morin, Anisimov, and prospect Dano, weren't likely to ever fill that role, and had become expendable by other players on the roster. That's the exact definition of what I described.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I've heard a lot of negative things that I don't want to substantiate. But it has kind of colored my view of him.

If he starts in the AHL (especially if someone like Bjorkstrand gets a spot), hopefully he doesn't take it personally or against management.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've heard a lot of negative things that I don't want to substantiate. But it has kind of colored my view of him.

If he starts in the AHL (especially if someone like Bjorkstrand gets a spot), hopefully he doesn't take it personally or against management.

This isn't just you, but I've seen so many posts that 'attack' his character with no stories or facts. Whats so bad about the kid?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Apparently our old pal Kurt Overhardt and papa Rychel met with management to talk about his status on the team in Traverse City...

Puck Rakers:
-- An interesting meeting took place before tonight's game. Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen and assistant GM Bill Zito met with two people close to Jackets' prospect Kerby Rychel -- his father, former NHL player Warren Rychel, and his agent, Kurt Overhardt. You'll recall that Rychel's name popped up frequently in trade talks this summer -- especially in advance of the draft -- and the meeting was called to confirm Rychel's standing in the organization. Despite playing well in the NHL last season -- 0-3-3 and a plus-2 rating in five games -- Rychel spent most of the season in the AHL, settling in behind Alexander Wennberg and Marko Dano on the depth chart. Those three players were all first-round draft picks in 2013. Now there are even more forward prospects pushing toward the NHL ... Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sonny Milano, etc. Rychel is almost certain to open the season with AHL Lake Erie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad