Rumor: Kerby Rychel being offered in exchange for a D man

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why do we always swing for the fences for a guy like Jones? The odds of that happening are almost zero and we just sound silly with most of our offers.

As far as trading Rychel, who knows. I'm sure they aren't in a hurry to move him, but we're certainly loaded at forward. Really have no desire for the team to move him, but our defense needs help.

Looking at the twitter source, I'm not getting worked up either way. The whole world kind of figured we were going to look for a D, if I remember correctly JK said something about getting a D and it looking at we have Rychel is an easy guess from his "source". Not holding much stock that there is much to this rumor. We've talked about this before.

Last edited:

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
What kind of defenseman is Columbus looking for? Devils can offer up Gelinas and Merill, both LHD. Severson and Larsson are pretty much off-limits, or in short, you're likely not going to put up a reasonable offer that's fair for Columbus that the Devils would take. The rest of our prospects don't have high enough ceilings or are probably too far out for it to make sense.

That's the problem. We are pretty stacked at LHD. Murray, JJ, Tyutin, Connauton, Heatherington while at RHD we have only Savard, Prout, Goloubef and Madaisky.

Rychel + 8th for Gelinas + 6th is probably close in value but unless Jarmo and co. really like somebody I don't see that trade happening.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Mainboard thread is painfull to read. Not many good proposals there.

Only interesting and maybe realistic proposal IMO is Rychel for Ellis but I don't think Rychel is proven enough to get Ellis 1 for 1.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's the problem. We are pretty stacked at LHD. Murray, JJ, Tyutin, Connauton, Heatherington while at RHD we have only Savard, Prout, Goloubef and Madaisky.

Rychel + 8th for Gelinas + 6th is probably close in value but unless Jarmo and co. really like somebody I don't see that trade happening.

Then the Devils probably don't have anything to get Rychel. Unless Hrabrenka, Santini, or Jacobs appeals to Columbus. But it seems like Columbus is looking for NHL ready D with some potential.

Mainboard thread is painfull to read. Not many good proposals there.

Only interesting and maybe realistic proposal IMO is Rychel for Ellis but I don't think Rychel is proven enough to get Ellis 1 for 1.

When isn't it painful to read?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What kind of defenseman is Columbus looking for? Devils can offer up Gelinas and Merill, both LHD. Severson and Larsson are pretty much off-limits, or in short, you're likely not going to put up a reasonable offer that's fair for Columbus that the Devils would take. The rest of our prospects don't have high enough ceilings or are probably too far out for it to make sense.

If Columbus is looking for Provorov, maybe this will do the job?

Gelinas + #6 for Rychel + #8 + #34 or #38

If Gelinas + Provorov is redundant in that case, then maybe:

#6 + #36 for Rychel + #8 + #38

Taking the picks out of the equation -- a little riskier for both sides:

Gelinas for Rychel

If I include Merrill, I would want a little more than Rychel:

Merrill + #41 + 2016 Detroit 3rd for Rychel + Atkinson

Just spitballing here. My value could be way off. Plus I'm not even sure if Columbus is looking for something different than Merrill or Gelinas.

I don't know about the value, it may be good, but I wouldn't do any of those trades.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would think that Rychel would have to be packaged with high draft picks to get a good second pairing dman.

I hope Jarmo is shopping around for a dman. He's going to have to give up something to get something. The CBJ are solid up front and in goal (World Championship game notwithstanding:laugh:). A healthy Murray along with one more very good defenseman and who knows where this team could go? I might be looking at things through homer glasses, but a healthy CBJ with another solid dman looks every good to me as Tampa, NY Rags and the Caps. I think that we're better than Montreal.

I hope the front office doesn't fall in love with prospects and draft picks like fan bases generally do. The Jackets window for the Cup is now open and the need for a very good dman is obvious. A few of the prospects should be trade bait along with draft picks. When a team is in its window, one in hand is far superior to 2 in the bush-which is exactly what prospects and draft picks are.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
still say Wennberg for Ellis or Wennberg ++ for Seth Jones would be our best way to work something out...I dunno if Rychel and Wennberg is fair value, but its probably getting us close to him...

I would rather trade Wennberg than Rychel, for style of play and the fact we have center depth and Wennberg is horrible on the draw. I don't like trading tough players, they are hard to come by that can score too. I hope this isn't the case.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just for the hell of it -- I highly doubt this ever happens -- but what would Columbus trade for Severson if he were available.

Devils will be looking for any type of offense they can get. Higher end prospects and NHL ready guys would be like gold to the Devils right now. Right handed players and/or right wings are much needed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I would rather trade Wennberg than Rychel, for style of play and the fact we have center depth and Wennberg is horrible on the draw. I don't like trading tough players, they are hard to come by that can score too. I hope this isn't the case.

What center depth? Letestu is gone and in your hypothetical you trade Wennberg which leaves Dubi, Joey, and Arty as our centers with Boone and Foligno able to take draws. Foligno and Boone are both under 50% on draws themselves like Wennberg (but Wennberg was improving), and Arty is very hit or miss in the faceoff circle (was only 2% better than Wennberg). With Dubi, Arty, and Boone's styles of play they're likely to at least miss a few games a year. That would mean we would rely on Foligno, Johansen, Chaput, and Dano for draws. You sure you want that?

Regarding style of play. We were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL this year, I can't find team hits stats, but I bet its lower than you think. This would suggest Wennberg is the better fit than Rychel.

I don't want Rychel traded either, but keeping him for the sole purpose of toughness isn't the reason.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What center depth? Letestu is gone and in your hypothetical you trade Wennberg which leaves Dubi, Joey, and Arty as our centers with Boone and Foligno able to take draws. Foligno and Boone are both under 50% on draws themselves like Wennberg (but Wennberg was improving), and Arty is very hit or miss in the faceoff circle (was only 2% better than Wennberg). With Dubi, Arty, and Boone's styles of play they're likely to at least miss a few games a year. That would mean we would rely on Foligno, Johansen, Chaput, and Dano for draws. You sure you want that?

Regarding style of play. We were one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL this year, I can't find team hits stats, but I bet its lower than you think. This would suggest Wennberg is the better fit than Rychel.

I don't want Rychel traded either, but keeping him for the sole purpose of toughness isn't the reason.

We were 5th in the NHL in hits per game this season. I think we need to sign a FA 4th line center with some speed and toughness. I just prefer someone like Rychel's style over Wennberg, he played better towards the end and will probably be a good player but if I had to choose, I would prefer Wennberg is traded, that's all. Rychel is more built for the playoffs grind.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-hit-statistics/2014/

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We were 5th in the NHL in hits per game this season. I think we need to sign a FA 4th line center with some speed and toughness. I just prefer someone like Rychel's style over Wennberg, he played better towards the end and will probably be a good player but if I had to choose, I would prefer Wennberg is traded, that's all. Rychel is more built for the playoffs grind.

Yeah. Lovely. Means that we didn't have the puck near enough.

Final 4 teams average rank: 20th. Chicago (29), Tampa (22), NYR (19), Anaheim (10). Anaheim had the lowest goals differential of all playoff teams as well (+10). Even though they're up one game, I think Chicago will handle them.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20142015&sort=standingsGoalDifferential&type=LEA

You'll, of course, take this as meaning that I don't like checking or hard hits. You'll be wrong. I do, however, like to see winning hockey more than some stiff like Boll running some dman 2 seconds after the puck is gone when we're trailing by 2 goals.

Unfortunately, lots of hits = lots of losses. 10 of the lowest ranked 12 teams in hits made the playoffs. They had this thing called puck possession going on.

Last edited:

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
I think with this the FO is seeing what they have available to move up in the draft. we are going to make a play for hanifin, and rychel s on the table for that trade, otherwise I don t really see much use of trading him.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah. Lovely. Means that we didn't have the puck near enough.

Final 4 teams average rank: 20th. Chicago (29), Tampa (22), NYR (19), Anaheim (10). Anaheim had the lowest goals differential of all playoff teams as well (+10). Even though they're up one game, I think Chicago will handle them.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20142015&sort=standingsGoalDifferential&type=LEA

You'll, of course, take this as meaning that I don't like checking or hard hits. You'll be wrong. I do, however, like to see winning hockey more than some stiff like Boll running some dman 2 seconds after the puck is gone when we're trailing by 2 goals.

Unfortunately, lots of hits = lots of losses. 10 of the lowest ranked 12 teams in hits made the playoffs. They had this thing called puck possession going on.

I'm taking the summer off from arguing with you, have a great summer, see you in October!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
this thread has me curious, how would you rank these forward prospects?

Dano
Wennberg
Rychel
Karlsson
Bjorkstrand

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I'd take Wennberg 1,000 times over Rychel. Wennberg is on a different level if you ask me.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm taking the summer off from arguing with you, have a great summer, see you in October!

He is right though. Teams that have the puck less can obvisouly hit their opponent more. If you have the puck, you aren't hitting anyone.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
this thread has me curious, how would you rank these forward prospects?

Dano
Wennberg
Rychel
Karlsson
Bjorkstrand

In order of highest potential

Milano
Wennberg
Bjorkstrand
Dano/Rychel
Karlsson

In order of who is most likely to reach their potential

Wennberg
Rychel
Dano
Karlsson
Bjorkstrand/Milano

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Gotta agree, the way Wennberg improved from the beginning to the end of last season was dramatic. He seems to never make a bad pass, great at puck possesion, and his vision and balance are off the charts. Obviously he needs to improve his shooting touch, and have a more aggressive approach to shooting , but I think some of that is deferring to the older players on the team, as well as his confidence level.

From a potential standpoint wow, thats a tough one.

Hanifin :D

Milano

Wennberg

Bjorkstrand

Rychel

Dano

Karlsson

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Gotta agree, the way Wennberg improved from the beginning to the end of last season was dramatic. He seems to never make a bad pass, great at puck possesion, and his vision and balance are off the charts. Obviously he needs to improve his shooting touch, and have a more aggressive approach to shooting , but I think some of that is deferring to the older players on the team, as well as his confidence level.

From a potential standpoint wow, thats a tough one.

Hanifin :D

Milano

Wennberg

Bjorkstrand

Rychel

Dano

Karlsson
i like where you're heads at, except he was ranking forwards :laugh: :laugh: unless were drafting Hanafin to play forward :dunno:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Dano has a lower "ceiling" but a higher floor. Plus he's already proven he can play at the NHL level at least competently.

Have to see how Milano / Bjorkstrand play against men and away from the puck.

Rychel is unproven. Injuries derailed the 2nd half of last season.

I wonder how Karlsson impacts how the FO views Chaput (RFA). Don't really need both, but they both could end up in a top 9 role. Or take Letestu's spot and hopefully HCTR rolls 4 lines and doesn't have a designated "checking" line.

I like Milano's upside over Wennberg's, but Wennberg I think will be a solid middle 6 center for years.

For next season:
Dano
Wennberg
Karlsson
Rychel
Bjorkstrand
Milano

In 3-4 years:
Milano
Wennberg
Bjorkstrand
Dano
Rychel
Karlsson

Something like that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What is interesting is if you look at the top prospects being discussed, they all bring something different, for the most part. Milano and Bjorkstrand are probably the most similar although Bjorkstrand appears to play in all three zones effectively. What I like is that Dano, Karlsson, Wennberg and even Milano can play C or W. Flexible, skilled, smart... Rychel is a bit more unique with his physical play. There's a ton to like in that pool of players. Any could help land an upgrade on defense, none are truly top 6 ready at this point... Good potential and should be excellent long term players regardless of who stays or goes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think y'all are underrating Dano. I'd take him over Wennberg, Rychel, Milano and Bjorkstrand.

All the old scouting reports on Dano had him with limited upside - that he's already surpassed, IMO. He's shown a combination of skills this year that are well beyond what a checking line winger can do. It's time to upgrade his upside.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
max potential:

Milano - PPG
Wennberg - 65-70 points 1C
Bjorkstrand - 30+ goals/65 points 1RW
Dano - 25-30 goals/60 points 1RW
Rychel - 25-30 goals/55 points top 6 LW
Karlsson - <20 goals/35-40 points 3C

likelihood to reach max potential:

Wennberg - I feel he's taking a path similar to Johansen + needed to adjust to NA ice. Drafted highest of the listed prospects and showed big steps in development as his rookie season progressed. He's got the sense and vision necessary to be an assist machine.
Dano - he's shown the most in the NHL out of all prospects so he goes here
Rychel - his max potential IMO is relatively low in comparison to the other prospects so I think he's a safer bet to top out, especially if his concussion(s) don't plague him.. he's got NHL bloodlines to boot
Bjorkstrand - the main concern is his size but that should be easily fixable.. I want so badly to put him higher on this list but he hasn't proven anything as a professional yet, so I can't justify any higher of a placement
Karlsson - low ceiling + 1st full season on NA ice + some professional games under his belt
Milano - highest ceiling of them all and hasn't played in any professional games yet.. he's the most recently drafted of all the prospects listed above so he may surprise us next season with some regression, or he could really wow us in Lake Erie.. he's too much of an unknown and his max potential is seemingly the hardest to reach so I can't justify a higher ranking than this

DISCLAIMER - I'm an armchair GM and a fan, not a professional scout ;)

that being said, in order of who I'd trade..

Karlsson > Rychel > Milano > Dano > Bjorkstrand/Wennberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad