Rumor: Kerby Rychel being offered in exchange for a D man

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ryan Ellis is not a top pairing Dman. He is probably top 4, but not someone I would trade Kerby for. No thank you.

Now Jones is different though. He's not top pairing or top 4 yet, but he's going to be very soon. Huge potential, fits right in with our young emerging core.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why on earth would Nashville move Jones? Don't see it.

The only way I see it happening is they need offense and are probably the only team with 3 top pairing D. They know he'll get a huge pay day some day and they are tied to Weber until eternity.

I don't see it happening but there could be a trade of some sort between the teams based in the strengths of each team.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Thread discussing Elliotte Friedman's Twitter post here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1896723

Seems to be related to the Reilly situation to me. Double whammy
I don't think this is the case at all. Even if Reilly signed with Columbus, I haven't seen anything to think he would automatically get top minutes or even be penciled into the top 6

Plus, trading Rychel and other stuff would only be for a top dman, which the Jackets don't really have (Murray isn't there yet).

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
I really don't want to move Rychel. I thought he looked great when he was playing with the club. I'm still not as hot on Wennberg as everyone else seems to be. I'm sure a lot of that is just because of how bad he looked earlier in the season, first impressions can be hard to overcome. But I always though Rychel and Dano both looked better than him. I know Wennberg is a center which automatically makes him a little more valuable, but I'd honestly rather trade him for a D prospect instead of Rychel.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
if you don't think Seth Jones is worth it, I can't help you...

ellis is a stud too...

I couldn't have said it better. If your first thought on Wennberg ++ for Jones is "I'd hate to trade Wennberg", then you need to watch more Jones. He's already top 4, and would be our best RHD soon, if not immediately.

Rychel+Prout for Ellis or Rychel+Tyutin+2nd for Seth Jones? Idk how close in value these two proposals are.

The first one is close, the second one is not halfway there. There's no way Nashville takes Tyutin in a Jones deal. It would have to be something more painful like Wennberg + JJ + 1st, if not worse.

Ahead of McKinnon? No way

I thought Jones was ahead of Mackinnon on a lot of lists. But I've never heard that confirmed about the Jackets. Anyone have a source for that?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd be curious to see if "Rychel-for-defenseman" ends up being straight up for a high pick.

There's recent precedent for it. St. Louis took David Rundblad 17th overall in 2009, then traded him the very next year at the draft straight up for #16 overall; they used that pick on Tarasenko.

If I'm sitting somewhere between #7 and #13 in this year's draft, really covet a power forward type and my only option is Lawson Crouse, I'd be awfully tempted to float the pick to Columbus for Rychel. And if my team has a history of coveting power forward types like Philadelphia....

Well, wouldn't that be interesting to end up with both #7 and #8 overall?

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but then who do we draft? Provorov and Werenski? Obviously it depends on who falls and whose available. But if we come away with one of Werenski/Provorov and someone like Barzal or Rantanen ill be one happy camper.

Maybe the move Rychel and the 8oa for a top 4 pick and get Hanifin?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think that's what we're looking for, but that's the most realistic trade proposal here so far.

Murphy is around 6'3"and a RHD with offensive potential that isn't there yet. Arizona has Gormley in the wings and needs offense. Murphy certainly would be top 4 worthy and it's a better skater than Savard. Just sounded like a good option to me.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Notice this stuff starts to pop up right around the time the Reilly news hits. CBJ won't be exploring FA options at that defenseman position, the one exception was Mike Reilly, now that he is off the table, sacrifices are going to need to be made to secure a d man that likely had a shorter contract and isn't that expensive that could potentially provide decent upside still. If we move Rychel for a stop gap, I'll be miffed. Likely going to need to package other Hingis to get someone that checks all the boxes:

Young (under 28)
NHL experience
Not seen as injury prone
Is signed to team friendly deal

That will be difficult to achieve

Last edited:

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Notice this stuff starts to pop up right around the time the Reilly news hits. CBJ won't be exploring FA options at that defenseman position, the one exception was Mike Reilly, now that he is off the table, sacrifices are going to need to be made to secure a d man that likely had a shorter contract and isn't that expensive that could potentially provide decent upside still. If we move Rychel for a stop gap, I'll be miffed. Likely going to need to package other Hingis to get someone that checks all the boxes:

Young (under 28)
NHL experience
Not seen as injury prone

So OEL. Sadly, that won't happen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Young (under 28)
NHL experience
Not seen as injury prone

Martina?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Any interest in Erik Gudbranson? Or is he a bust? Or not a bust but not playing to the potential of a 3rd overall pick? Would Florida trade him/need Rychel?
For 3rd overall he's a pretty big bust. According to his HERO chart (which analyzes the past 3 seasons as a whole) he gets 3rd pairing minutes on Even Strength. He's good at generating shots (CF/60+FF/60, being borderline top 4/2 D in that regard), but he suppresses shots against like an average 3rd pairing defender. As for his individual offensive ability his SoG/60 rate is superb, absolutely top pairing material. However, his actual scoring (points/60) is significantly below the 3rd pairing threshold. Basically an AHL caliber defenseman in that regard.

You could argue that his high shots/60 and his low points/60 rates are the result of being terribly snake-bitten but this sample size includes over 170 games.

Essentially, Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing D who, on paper, is threatening offensively if he could ever actually hit the net/get some assists from rebounds.

Source: http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Florida loves Gudbranson and wouldn't even consider a deal around him and Rychel. I'd love to get him; he's the type of guy we need and fits our core.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Any interest in Erik Gudbranson? Or is he a bust? Or not a bust but not playing to the potential of a 3rd overall pick? Would Florida trade him/need Rychel?
I suspect he's still considered a valuable part of that team going forward even though he's no longer leading the charge on the blueline.

* * *​
For 3rd overall he's a pretty big bust. According to his HERO chart (which analyzes the past 3 seasons as a whole) he gets 3rd pairing minutes on Even Strength. He's good at generating shots (CF/60+FF/60, being borderline top 4/2 D in that regard), but he suppresses shots against like an average 3rd pairing defender. As for his individual offensive ability his SoG/60 rate is superb, absolutely top pairing material. However, his actual scoring (points/60) is significantly below the 3rd pairing threshold. Basically an AHL caliber defenseman in that regard.

You could argue that his high shots/60 and his low points/60 rates are the result of being terribly snake-bitten but this sample size includes over 170 games.

Essentially, Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing D who, on paper, is threatening offensively if he could ever actually hit the net/get some assists from rebounds.

Source: http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

He's consistently over 18 minutes per game this year on average, though (and had several 20 minute games towards the end), which suggests he's getting a lot of special teams time. I wouldn't write him off quite yet.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What kind of defenseman is Columbus looking for? Devils can offer up Gelinas and Merill, both LHD. Severson and Larsson are pretty much off-limits, or in short, you're likely not going to put up a reasonable offer that's fair for Columbus that the Devils would take. The rest of our prospects don't have high enough ceilings or are probably too far out for it to make sense.

If Columbus is looking for Provorov, maybe this will do the job?

Gelinas + #6 for Rychel + #8 + #34 or #38

If Gelinas + Provorov is redundant in that case, then maybe:

#6 + #36 for Rychel + #8 + #38

Taking the picks out of the equation -- a little riskier for both sides:

Gelinas for Rychel

If I include Merrill, I would want a little more than Rychel:

Merrill + #41 + 2016 Detroit 3rd for Rychel + Atkinson

Just spitballing here. My value could be way off. Plus I'm not even sure if Columbus is looking for something different than Merrill or Gelinas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad