Kenny, please call Tampa Bay...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know the team is winning, and this front office would sooner get a root canal than consider selling anybody while the team is doing well. But Tampa just lost their starting goaltender for an undefined timeframe, and their backup has been hot garbage thus far this year:

https://www.tsn.ca/lightning-g-vasilevskiy-fractures-foot-1.1210197

I'm not saying you find a way to deal Howard, no matter what. But this is a potential opportunity, and it's just good business to at least place a phone call and gauge interest. (And if the Bolts end up sliding down the standings after a few weeks, then you have already opened communications to see if interest has gone up in the meantime.)

Reactions: avssuc

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Plenty of teams could use Howard right now. The organization said it's rebuilding. Management should deal players not part of the long-term plan regardless of the team's current hot streak.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No. Even if you were to trade Howard, you wait for them to call you
I would sooner risk losing a bit of leverage by appearing interested in moving Howard, than risk another team pulling off a deal first, and getting nothing at all.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I'm sorry, but this is just downright silly. A rebuild doesn't mean you get rid of everyone on your current roster. And what are you going to get for Howard, a third or fourth rounder? The same goes for the proposal to send Glendening somewhere,just for the heck of it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not a bad idea, but I dont think TB could fit Howard under the cap. Sure today they could, but as soon as Vasilevskiy returns they would be screwed, unless we took on Callahan's contract. Howard for Callahan and a 1st, I would do it in a heartbeat (yes I know that will never happen).

TB's best move is to go with the backup, and if he fails then look to make a trade. Even then, they are better off going after a cheaper option. I'm all for Holland making the call though, you would think Jimmy would love the opportunity for a cup. Even if he loves Detroit, he could still come back next year with him being a UFA.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm sorry, but this is just downright silly. A rebuild doesn't mean you get rid of everyone on your current roster. And what are you going to get for Howard, a third or fourth rounder? The same goes for the proposal to send Glendening somewhere,just for the heck of it.

To be fair, we do have Bernier, who is more then capable handling the duties for a rebuilding team. I dont trade Howard for a 4th or 5th rounder, but if we could package him and take back cap and gain a pick, I would do it.

Reactions: avssuc

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why would Holland trade Howard when you know damn well he thinks we could possibly make the playoffs now given this run? Zero chance he will trade Howard at this point. Hell, he might even be a BUYER at the TDL if we keep winning LOL (NOT REALLY LAUGHING :()

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
A 3rd rounder for an over 34 yr old injury prone goaltender that you could bring back if you really wanted to in about 7months seems like a good idea to me for a team that wont make the playoffs....

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
A 3rd rounder for an over 34 yr old injury prone goaltender that you could bring back if you really wanted to in about 7months seems like a good idea to me for a team that wont make the playoffs....
Who will play goal in the meantime? Oh, wait, we can call a beer leaguer or, better yet, leave it empty cause we are rebuilding.

Reactions: Lil Bert

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If we retained 50% of Howard's salary, TB could probably make it work with their LTIR.

I would not take on Callahan's contract.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Howard @ 50%
Glendening

for

Callahan
one of Stephens, Katchouk, or Raddysh
We retain 2.5 million and take on Callahan's 5.8 for the next 2 years? Can't do it. I wish we could get a Raddysh level prospect out of that type of deal, that would be incredible.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
We retain 2.5 million and take on Callahan's 5.8 for the next 2 years? Can't do it. I wish we could get a Raddysh level prospect out of that type of deal, that would be incredible.

Retain enough on Howard to make it work for both sides, doesn't have to be 50%. Tampa has a little wiggle room.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
No way is Holland going to do this. We are, what, 7-2 since our top D-man came back from injury? 3 points out of the playoffs. Howard playing very well and clearly our number 1, etc, etc. And in my opinion, we shouldn't do this either. Think about trading Howard later, but not now. There is such a thing as a culture of losing, and it bothered me a lot that we started the season so poorly, because whether or not that helps us as far as draft picks go, you're subjecting your future core to getting battered every night and your future captain to epic frustration night in and night out. We most likely aren't good enough to make the playoffs and we'll most likely be picking top 6, or at least top 10, but I think self sabotage is counter-productive.

That said, if Tampa or anybody else came in with some silly offer for Howard I'd gladly take it. But a 3rd or 4th rounder doesn't cut the mustard.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
We have enough albatross contracts currently (don't need Callahan's), so barring crazy overpayment, i.e. 1st or A-level Dman/Center prospect (extremely unlikely) we should wait til later in the season, so the kids gets some more experience in a "winning" environment, or at least not a losing environment. I say this as someone who wants Howard traded & not resigned. A 3rd/4th is highway robbery for TBL right now since Vasil is injured (we have the leverage). By the TDL some other team will want insurance or a decent starter, prices will go up & we can assess our team for the majority of the season.

Varlamov is playing well again this year, younger, not sure on cost as UFA '19, but a 4yr. deal might be worth the risk on him, though he'll likely get longer term elsewhere.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If we retained 50% of Howard's salary, TB could probably make it work with their LTIR.

I would not take on Callahan's contract.

I didnt even think about retaining salary, that could actually make it work.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guys/Gals we are a .500 team right now. I know we live in fantasy land where in EA Sports games with your team you can do whatever and do crazy things you don't actually anger guys. Larkin reaction would be interesting since he is carrying the team or send the wrong message to AA a guy who seems to finally be scratching the surface of what his talent can do in the league, but those are real world issues. You can say you sit down and talk to them, but that is a part of why people say you cannot be Buffalo or Edmonton, this is what they are getting at. Selling players playing well because you're overachieving isn't the right message in my opinion.

I know we are rebuilding, we shouldn't extend Howard this week or at all in season and if somebody insanely offered a nice prospect we better sell because you can go and explain that to a Larkin there. I would be willing to listen when our season is clearly over but it isn't right now, certainly not to the guys in the room. But you dump him for taking on Callahan's contract for the pick or some deal where you're not even saying a wow that is a huge win. Good luck selling it in the room.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Guys/Gals we are a .500 team right now. I know we live in fantasy land where in EA Sports games with your team you can do whatever and do crazy things you don't actually anger guys. Larkin reaction would be interesting since he is carrying the team or send the wrong message to AA a guy who seems to finally be scratching the surface of what his talent can do in the league, but those are real world issues. You can say you sit down and talk to them, but that is a part of why people say you cannot be Buffalo or Edmonton, this is what they are getting at. Selling players playing well because you're overachieving isn't the right message in my opinion.

I know we are rebuilding, we shouldn't extend Howard this week or at all in season and if somebody insanely offered a nice prospect we better sell because you can go and explain that to a Larkin there. I would be willing to listen when our season is clearly over but it isn't right now, certainly not to the guys in the room. But you dump him for taking on Callahan's contract for the pick or some deal where you're not even saying a wow that is a huge win. Good luck selling it in the room.

I agree with this for the most part, but if TB offered us say Callahan and a 1st for Howard, I think you have to take it.

As far as the last part, its not like we would be running with Joey MacDonald, Bernier is being paid 3x3, and is more then capable of being a decent starter for a season.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad