Kenny, please call Tampa Bay...

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
There is one major reason why this won't happen, that reason is Yzerman. 'If' he is coming home next year, I don't think he'd want to be loosely connected to a deal with Detroit. Regardless of how it works out, it just looks bad... givin that most people assume his move is all but certain.

If he's headed for retirement, this move makes total sense for both sides.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If all I could get at the TDL is a 4th for Howard why wouldn't I do that? He is a UFA and we could still get him back in the summer if he want him. It's basically letting a team "borrow" him for a few months for a pick. If we are out of the playoffs then why not?

Because there is such a thing in this world as positive reinforcement and Howard has been keeping games close enough for the team to reach the W each game. A 4th has a chance of becoming a good player but you do have many youngsters on the team now and you want the to taste as much success for their work as possible.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because there is such a thing in this world as positive reinforcement and Howard has been keeping games close enough for the team to reach the W each game. A 4th has a chance of becoming a good player but you do have many youngsters on the team now and you want the to taste as much success for their work as possible.
Complete.nonsense. This way of "thinking" is why we are "rebuilding on the fly"

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Complete.nonsense. This way of "thinking" is why we are "rebuilding on the fly"

It's kind of a proven concept that you can actually go on and read about... Go ahead do elaborate! Better yet, go ahead and rationalize why we should give away one of our better players away for a fourth. Talk about nonsense..

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's kind of a proven concept that you can actually go on and read about... Go ahead do elaborate! Better yet, go ahead and rationalize why we should give away one of our better players away for a fourth. Talk about nonsense..
I said a 4th at the tdl if that's the best offer and we are out of the playoffs. But I like how you conveniently left that out to fit your narrative....

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Crazy idea, but is it legal in the NHL to loan a team a player? Trade Bernier to Tampa in exchange for a 3rd, get him back (technically a pre-arranged trade) when Vasi returns for "future considerations". I don't think any team has ever done a player loan in the cap era, but there was certainly some deals made not to pick players in the expansion draft.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Crazy idea, but is it legal in the NHL to loan a team a player? Trade Bernier to Tampa in exchange for a 3rd, get him back (technically a pre-arranged trade) when Vasi returns for "future considerations". I don't think any team has ever done a player loan in the cap era, but there was certainly some deals made not to pick players in the expansion draft.

Interesting idea, but the problem with that is if Detroit re-nags and then TB is over the cap, they look like idiots.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I said a 4th at the tdl if that's the best offer and we are out of the playoffs. But I like how you conveniently left that out to fit your narrative....

And I like how you conviniently went in a different direction when suddenly challenged. Except I didn't leave it out. If Howard is playing well, he's playing well. And no, I woukdn't want to sidetrack the season for a 4th. I rather the kids keep pushing even afyer the trade deadline. Little victories here wil go a longer way than a 4th IMO.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
At this moment it would make more sense if we traded Bernier to a team that wanted him.

Can't pretend ours is the only front office that would hesitate to dismantle the team when they are playing well. A winning team means everyone on the roster increases in value. By keeping Howard and winning more games we might get a better return on Nyquist. We might get more for Glendening, Green, Daley etc.

Keep the options open for sure but we're not even a quarter into the season, there's no need to be desperate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Interesting idea, but the problem with that is if Detroit re-nags and then TB is over the cap, they look like idiots.
If you renege on a deal, you'll never be able to make another trade with any GM. Plus I'm sure they'd trust Kenny.

GMGM (McPhee) made a whole bunch of deals to not pick certain players in the expansion draft. He followed through on every one of them.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If the Flames want to trade for a goalie, who would they target? - Sportsnet.ca

lists pros & cons of trading for: Anderson, Howard, Halak, Schneider, Miller, Lindgren(MTL), Bobrovsky etc...plus the injured/IR potential trade targets.
"JIMMY HOWARD, DETROIT

Like Schneider, Howard’s heyday came a few years ago, but unlike Schneider, he’s having a good start to the season.
Howard’s .922 save percentage in 14 games is one of the better marks in the league and he’s playing behind one of the most porous defence units that allows 35.2 shots against per game. Only twice this season has Howard allowed more than three goals a game and those came in his third and fourth starts of the season.
He makes $5.2 million against the cap, which is a million more than Smith, but is a UFA at season’s end.
“That’s the one guy I looked at,” Friedman said. “If you really go up and down the teams and look at who’s really available and who can be had out there, he’s probably your best option. There has been rumours, and I stress they are rumours, that he was looking at signing a short-term extension with the Red Wings, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.” "

Reactions: jkutswings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If you renege on a deal, you'll never be able to make another trade with any GM. Plus I'm sure they'd trust Kenny.

GMGM (McPhee) made a whole bunch of deals to not pick certain players in the expansion draft. He followed through on every one of them.

The Vegas deals were different, it was all done in one night, not "do this now, and we'll do this in 6 months from now. If we are talking a "handshake" deal behind the closed doors that only the respective GM's know about (because I'm sure if that was public it would be a violation of some rule), a GM could easily renag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad