Kenny, please call Tampa Bay...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree with this for the most part, but if TB offered us say Callahan and a 1st for Howard, I think you have to take it.

As far as the last part, its not like we would be running with Joey MacDonald, Bernier is being paid 3x3, and is more then capable of being a decent starter for a season.

If we are taking Callahan, I want one of their big boy prospects, not a chance that somebody is there at #28 or below. That is the value of taking on Callahan we should get prospect certainty while doing it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If we are taking Callahan, I want one of their big boy prospects, not a chance that somebody is there at #28 or below. That is the value of taking on Callahan we should get prospect certainty while doing it.

Would you take Foote instead of a 1st?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would you take Foote instead of a 1st?

I would, but there are some concerns in terms of his ceiling. I mean I was happy with Rasmussen working him in the playoffs last year, but it did make me question the stay at home ability a little and I am sure Wings scouts saw plenty of that series with Rasmussen in it.

Also I had the WHL package last year, so I saw him a few times. I am uncertain on his offense, but he might be a nice stay at home guy for Cholowski to pair with.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
With the rumors of Stevie Y coming back to Detroit it would be interesting to see what deal Detroit and Tampa make if Tampa makes a move for Jimmy.

I would have to think that any deal involving the Wings/Lightning would not in any way include Yzerman. Just feels like a giant conflict of interest, and since he's not even the Gm anymore, he really doesnt need to be involved.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
We retain 2.5 million and take on Callahan's 5.8 for the next 2 years? Can't do it. I wish we could get a Raddysh level prospect out of that type of deal, that would be incredible.

Is weird I'd do it if Tampa coughed up a 1st rdp instead of a prospect/player?

Howard
for
Callahan and a 1st rdp

Idk, maybe that's insane too.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Draft picks would be better
that will happen only if the Lightning management is brain-dead or drunk when Kenny calls. Best case scenario--a third or a fourth round pick or two, both of which will then rot in the minors for the rest of their careers.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As far as the last part, its not like we would be running with Joey MacDonald

Ouch. Poor Joey MacDonald.

Guy was probably one of the best backups the Red Wings have had since Howard became starter. Went above and beyond filling in at #2 after Osgood missed most of 10-11. Then he gets passed over for the backup job in favor of Ty Conklin V2.0 coming off a garbage year with the Blues. He then ends up beating out still garbage Conklin and helps the team extend their record home winning streak. Holland then tells everybody that MacDonald will be #2 for 12-13, but instead can't resist overpaying Jonas "Papermache groin" Gustavsson to sit on IR for most of 3 seasons. Joey then became a freebie for a crap Flames team and put up OK numbers and a near .500 record filling in at #1 for an injured and then pretty much mentally checked out Kiprusoff.

I would've been perfectly fine running Joey MacDonald over some of the other trash that's played behind Howard like Conklin 2.0, Gustavsson, 16/17-17/18 Mrazek or Coreau.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
that will happen only if the Lightning management is brain-dead or drunk when Kenny calls. Best case scenario--a third or a fourth round pick or two, both of which will then rot in the minors for the rest of their careers.
You know the fate of future draft picks? Ok, done talking to you now.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
You know the fate of future draft picks? Ok, done talking to you now.
yeah, that is probably best for both of us. Have fun riding the tank bandwagon. Let's talk in 10 years when we are the new Buffalo or Arizona with lots of amazing drafts picks and nothing to show for it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
yeah, that is probably best for both of us. Have fun riding the tank bandwagon. Let's talk in 10 years when we are the new Buffalo or Arizona with lots of amazing drafts picks and nothing to show for it.
Trading 34 year old Howard doesn't turn you into 10 years of Buf and Ari. What are you even saying?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think some misunderstandings are leading to unnecessary divisions within this thread.

Nobody is saying give Howard away for a 4th rounder. If that's all Tampa would offer, you decline.

And nobody is saying, let's trade Howard so we can lose more games on purpose. It's simply a check on market price, to see if we can leverage a good deal for a guy who won't be part of the next core. Plus, Bernier is at minimum a solid guy to have around if Howard were to be dealt.

In all likelihood, there's not a fantastic return at the moment, so you stand pat for now. I was just hoping that Detroit would do their due diligence, and see if a team might be desperate enough to look at a sweetheart deal (either now, or closer to the deadline).

Reactions: kliq

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think some misunderstandings are leading to unnecessary divisions within this thread.

Nobody is saying give Howard away for a 4th rounder. If that's all Tampa would offer, you decline.

And nobody is saying, let's trade Howard so we can lose more games on purpose. It's simply a check on market price, to see if we can leverage a good deal for a guy who won't be part of the next core. Plus, Bernier is at minimum a solid guy to have around if Howard were to be dealt.

In all likelihood, there's not a fantastic return at the moment, so you stand pat for now. I was just hoping that Detroit would do their due diligence, and see if a team might be desperate enough to look at a sweetheart deal (either now, or closer to the deadline).
If all I could get at the TDL is a 4th for Howard why wouldn't I do that? He is a UFA and we could still get him back in the summer if he want him. It's basically letting a team "borrow" him for a few months for a pick. If we are out of the playoffs then why not?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Considering Tampa's goalie depth (WTF Yzerman), I'd imagine they'll do something to address it if Vasilevskiy is out longterm.

That being said, I'll bet acquiring a starter level goalie that would potentially put them over the cap now or when Vasilevskiy is healthy again is at the bottom of the list.

They probably ride Domingue for now. Contrary to what was said in the OP, he hasn't been "hot garbage". If you look at his game logs, he's been decent outside of a 7-1 blowout.

If they add someone this early in the season, they'll likely look at other options before they cough up assets or draft picks to open up cap space to bring in Howards salary. They could:

-Give Eddie Pasquale a look. Outside of the start of this season, he's been pretty solid at the AHL level since falling off the radar after missing the entire 14-15 season.
-Wait to see what Carolina and Philadelphia do to address having 3 waiver eligible goalies on their roster.
-Try to trade for an experienced goalie another team has in the AHL (IE Forsberg, Montoya, Hutchinson).
-Kick the tires on Steve Mason or Kari Lehtonen, who are still unsigned UFA's

Most of those will cost them anywhere from just a small amount of cap space up to a conditional draft pick.

Have to wonder too if Tampa would rather hang onto cap space and assets like a 1st rounder so they can go "win now" at the deadline and get into the Panarin/Stone/Duchene sweepstakes before a cap crunch closes their window in the next couple years...

And speaking of that cap crunch... I never really looked too deep into Tampa's cap picture but holy hell.... The apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree when it came to Yzerman handing out NTC and NMC's...

Reactions: waltdetroit

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Guys/Gals we are a .500 team right now. I know we live in fantasy land where in EA Sports games with your team you can do whatever and do crazy things you don't actually anger guys. Larkin reaction would be interesting since he is carrying the team or send the wrong message to AA a guy who seems to finally be scratching the surface of what his talent can do in the league, but those are real world issues. You can say you sit down and talk to them, but that is a part of why people say you cannot be Buffalo or Edmonton, this is what they are getting at. Selling players playing well because you're overachieving isn't the right message in my opinion.

I know we are rebuilding, we shouldn't extend Howard this week or at all in season and if somebody insanely offered a nice prospect we better sell because you can go and explain that to a Larkin there. I would be willing to listen when our season is clearly over but it isn't right now, certainly not to the guys in the room. But you dump him for taking on Callahan's contract for the pick or some deal where you're not even saying a wow that is a huge win. Good luck selling it in the room.

Very much this. It seems like a lot of folks here can't seem to relate on how deflating it is when you work your butt off only to have your work rendered useless. Or imagine working yourbutt off and then have your salary slashed

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we trade Jimmy we will get better draft pic this year . We need at least be down for next 2 years to get better prospect pool .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad