kenny entering hhof this monday

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
LINK : Holland persevered, adapted on way to Hockey Hall of Fame

++++++++++++++++++++.jpg

from article :

Holland's induction into the Hall of Fame will come one day before the 41st anniversary of that game.
"From that game and now you're asking me about going into the Hockey Hall of Fame, there are a lot of emotions while I'm remembering all the people that contributed," he said. "So many people involved on and off the ice that it doesn't happen without all those people. I could go on and on and on with names. In order to be a Builder you have to have a lot of talented people around you on and off the ice in order to do that. So I'm not tricked into thinking I'm smarter than everybody else. I'm just a little guy from Vernon, B.C., that chased his passion and had a lot of people along the way that believed in me and gave me an opportunity.
"And you've got to have some luck along the way."

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The Red Wings won the Cup in the salary cap era, you need to rethink your timeline.

Holland assembled a good post-cap team from 05-09. He then proceeded to be horrendous for the next decade, and squandered more than half of prime Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall. At least they won a cup, should have competed for at least a few more with proper management.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Red Wings won the Cup in the salary cap era, you need to rethink your timeline.
I'm trying to remember the significant moves he made post-lockout.

Swapped Rafalski for Schneider, brought in Stuart, both of which were big moves for the Cup. But he also brought back Hasek, which was a mistake. I may be forgetting things but I don't think outside of that he had to do a lot of cap related moves from the lockout to the Cup win. Player's salaries were automatically knocked down post cap.

Last edited:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Holland assembled a good post-cap team from 05-09. He then proceeded to be horrendous for the next decade, and squandered more than half of prime Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall. At least they won a cup, should have competed for at least a few more with proper management.

Holland was far from perfect, not going to get an argument from me. It just annoys me when people say he was awful post cap, umm Detroit won a cup in the salary cap how does that work.

I'm trying to remember the significant moves he made post-lockout.

Swapped Rafalski for Schneider, brought in Stuart, both of which were big moves for the Cup. But he also brought back Hasek, which was a mistake. I may be forgetting things but I don't think outside of that he had to do a lot of cap related moves from the lockout to the Cup win. Player's salaries were automatically knocked down post cap.

I would add that Holland was great at Restricted free agent negotiating, he signed a lot of awesome team friendly deals.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
He should never sniff HHOF the way he ran the Wings into the ground.
The dude can't even spell "Salary Cap", and anyone could have done the job when all you had to do is ask "Brett Hull" how much he wants to get paid to come to Detroit to win a Cup.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holland was far from perfect, not going to get an argument from me. It just annoys me when people say he was awful post cap, umm Detroit won a cup in the salary cap how does that work.

I would add that Holland was great at Restricted free agent negotiating, he signed a lot of awesome team friendly deals.
I feel like that's damning with faint praise though. I don't follow the cap dealings of other teams, but are there GM's that are awful at RFA deals? The team has most of the leverage.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Greatest pre-cap area. One of the worst after.

This is my favourite quote of ALL TIME on this boards.

Ken Holland being "one of the worst GM at cap era".

When he is the rare ones, who have won a Stanley Cup at cap era.

And how did he build that 2005-->2008 Red Wings team from scratch. yeah yeah, the stars were there and you need the stars always, but he was able to find great complimentary players from trash market for dirt cheap and build a dominant Contender.

THAT's ONE OF THE MOST UNBELIEVEABLE JOBS IN NHL HISTORY THIS BOARD HAS NO RESPECT TO UNDERSTAND.

Jim Rutherford, 2006, 2016, 2017
Bob Murray 2007
Ken Holland 2008
Ray Shero, 2009
Stan Bowman 2010, 2013, 2015
Peter Chiarelli, 2011
Dean Lombardi 2012, 2014
Brian McLellan, 2018
Doug Armstrong, 2019
Julien Brisebois, 2020, 2021

Only 10 GMs have won Cup t cap era.

Holland is one of them.

Ugliest f***in bashing shit to say him being something like worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The guy drafted my favorite player ever and built my favorite team of players ever. He deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad