Ken Holland's comments on UFA signings and 2018-2019 roster

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Holland's comment on the radio recently.
Why did you give Green and Vanek no trade contracts?
He said because they would not have signed otherwise.
I wonder how many other teams would have given them a no trade contract. None!
Does this maroon know he can just walk away?

I'm sure Green could have gotten a limited NTC elsewhere. Vanek I agree though, he wouldnt get that from any other team.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I heard an interview with Paul Woods on 97.1 today, and it was interesting. He said that Vanek was very instrumental in the development of some of the young guys in Vancouver (he specifically named Brock Boeser) and said that he should really help get some of our young guys to the next level.

I really wasn't a fan of the Vanek signing, but if this does play out the way Woods is claiming it should, I will change my tune. Only time will tell.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Holland's comment on the radio recently.
Why did you give Green and Vanek no trade contracts?
He said because they would not have signed otherwise.
I wonder how many other teams would have given them a no trade contract. None!
Does this maroon know he can just walk away?

Doesn't Green's NTC end before the 2020 trade deadline? And players can choose to waive NTC's - I'm pretty sure after the last few years Vanek would have pushed hard for one...he's got a family and would probably place a premium on being able to spend at least a whole season in one place. Particularly as he's previously bern traded to teams where he's been a bad fit

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If Vanek drags his heels and exercises his NTC too severely at the deadline I can see it hurting his value come next season when another team looks to sign him for a 1 year deal. Also, as has been stated here often, he doesn't have a very high value at the trade deadline anyways, so by flexing his NTC to the point where we cannot unload him anywhere it will hurt himself more than it will hurt us. I'm sure he'll agree to go somewhere and we'll collect a 3rd round pick or something of comparative value for him. The guy has been in the league and around the league for a lot of years, I'm sure he has some teams he'd rather not play for but I don't see him using his NTC to sabotage our team's efforts to trade him.

I don't like how freely Kenny gives out the NTCs and I'm not happy with Green getting two years and a NTC - his 2nd year should have cost him that NTC or Kenny should have walked away. The Vanek, NTC, however, doesn't really concern me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't like how freely Kenny gives out the NTCs and I'm not happy with Green getting two years and a NTC - his 2nd year should have cost him that NTC or Kenny should have walked away. The Vanek, NTC, however, doesn't really concern me.

What's the problem with Green NTC, which will disappear in feb 2020? He can be easily sold on his last year.

Vanek was signed not to be sold.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What's the problem with Green NTC, which will disappear in feb 2020? He can be easily sold on his last year.
Because he's reaching the end of his usefulness as a player, and should continue to decline.

Statistically, Green's value should be a little less this year than it was prior to injury last year, and there should be another small drop in 2020. I didn't want him back at all, but if the silver lining is using him as trade bait, then do it this year, not next year.

And all of this assumes he's completely healthy after the surgery, with no lasting effects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Because he's reaching the end of his usefulness as a player, and should continue to decline.

Statistically, Green's value should be a little less this year than it was prior to injury last year, and there should be another small drop in 2020. I didn't want him back at all, but if the silver lining is using him as trade bait, then do it this year, not next year.

And all of this assumes he's completely healthy after the surgery, with no lasting effects.

He is still a free asset which did cost us nothing. It still is a nice gamble, if we get something. Of course, not a guarantee.

But I like him mentoring Hronek, when he'll be up. I think Green knows quite lot how to be RhdPPqb. They should concentrate on Green's 30-goal-days, how was that possible, and make Hronek as good. ;)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He is still a free asset which did cost us nothing. It still is a nice gamble, if we get something. Of course, not a guarantee.

But I like him mentoring Hronek, when he'll be up. I think Green knows quite lot how to be RhdPPqb. They should concentrate on Green's 30-goal-days, how was that possible, and make Hronek as good. ;)
Ok, but then you'll need a different mentor to teach Hronek about work ethic and actually defending. Preferably without having to unlearn anything Green "teaches" him in those areas.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

We need Ovie on the PP

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Say what you will, but Holland deserves a ton of credit for taking the time and care to slowly pass on responsibility and oversee this rebuild. The teams future has obviously been in younger more capable hands for the last few years, and Holland has been able to recover his greatest strength historically, which is delegation. He could've bailed and left a mess for someone else to clean up, but instead we have a future that is shaping up to be very watchable soon, and a great starting point for whoever takes over next.

Green and Vanek have been leaders on this team in some of it's darkest days, and have a firm grasp of their role in this process. These were expected moves, and positive moves. When it's real life, and not a save file, you learn to hedge your bets a little better than some of the more extreme views tossed around the boards here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad