GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
analytics guys getting tight pants..

rWhwwrS.jpg

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I think he's referencing the defenseman who is defending 75% of the time. Looks like we've likely seen the last of Russell in orange and blue.

Good luck with that. He has a full NMC wants to stay in Alberta.

EDIT

I stand corrected, he has an NTC starting this season where he submits a 10 team list. Makes little difference. He just writes down 10 teams it wouldn't be possible to make a trade with.

Reactions: thadd

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
It’s all speculation from one line. I don’t want to see anyone from the prior coaching staff there, so thats probably why I’m hearing it that way. Only one I may want to see is Yawney, but I’m sure he’s following Todd.
Well he did say he wants to "see where they're at" and "go through the process with them".

Doesn't really sound like things you'd say about someone you've already decided to let go.

But you're right, it could be confirmation bias.

Reactions: PuckNut

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Tippett stressing that he needs to find a role for everyone and wants them to feel included is important. This is something I think is/was a major fault of McLellan. I think part of the problem with this team is that everyone talks about McDavid and Draisaitl, and expect them to carry the team, and everyone feels like they are less important. Media still pushes the McDavid and Draisaitl though.

Reactions: thadd

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He wants 5 players who can move the puck and not just 3 forwards. That's not Russell lol

I think you misinterpreted my post.

Tippett talked about 2 dmen...one that played in his own zone 75% of the time and one that played in his own zone 25% of the time.
Which one do you think describes Russell?

Reactions: McCanovin

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
I think Tippett stressing that he needs to find a role for everyone and wants them to feel included is important. I think part of the problem with this team is that everyone talks about McDavid and Draisaitl, and expect them to carry the team, and everyone feels like they are less important. Media still pushes the McDavid and Draisaitl though.
I too think this has been a problem. A lot of players don't know what their role is, have been shifted up and down the lineup, and when the going gets tough McDavid and Draisaitl get put on the ice for 24 minutes each. Can't really be good for a player's self-esteem you'd think

Reactions: PuckNut

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think you misinterpreted my post.

Tippett talked about 2 dmen...one that played in his own zone 75% of the time and one that played in his own zone 25% of the time.
Which one do you think describes Russell?
My apologies. I might have missed that part of the presser. lol

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Tippett said a lot of good things that a lot of fans probably wanted to hear.

Let's see how well he puts it into motion

That's exactly it.

Holland and Tippett can flap their gums all they want, Chiarelli and MacLellan did too. I want action, not words. Get to work. Scott Howson still has a job which is a massive black mark already.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holland really likes Samorukov. Really stresses about him more than Bouchard
Samorukov is really a Holland kind of guy. Big, hard hitting complete defender Bouchard will be good but his defensive side will never be as good.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's exactly it.

Holland and Tippett can flap their gums all they want, Chiarelli and MacLellan did too. I want action, not words. Get to work. Scott Howson still has a job which is a massive black mark already.
You do know that they are going to work and they talk to push that forward.

Some "fans"

Howson still has a job because he is part of the amateur side and the draft is coming up. If he is let go it'll be after the draft.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ken and Dave preaching stability.

With that in mind, it's odd that the deal is only for 3 years.
I wonder if the length of term was dictated by the owner who has been destroyed by bad hires. I also wonder if having a guy as GM who is known for long term relationships with his coaches makes the shorter term easier to accept for Tippett. What I’m surprised with is the salary. Everybody else is signing for much more.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if the length of term was dictated by the owner who has been destroyed by bad hires. I also wonder if having a guy as GM who is known for long term relationships with his coaches makes the shorter term easier to accept for Tippett. What I’m surprised with is the salary. Everybody else is signing for much more.
Almost makes you wonder how much Tippett was ready to coach and wants to be here. The contract took a bit to negotiate, wonder if Holland stood firm on numbers and Tippett gave in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad