Ken Holland has been rebuilding through the draft for nearly 15 years

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I was fully on board with trading Datsyuk right after the Chicago series. That year was a fluke of overachievement in the midst of an already closed championship window, and I said as much at the time. And that's not even counting the dozens of posters that begged for years to trade either Nyquist or Tatar for a defenseman, or some equally significant hockey trade to shake things up.

Did the vast majority disagree with anything reassembling scorched Earth? Sure. But don't pretend that nobody was willing to make real changes before the streak ended.

Okay, I'll take you at your word in regards to Datsyuk. Though, if I have to guess, you're reasoning at the time was probably due to risk of losing him to free agency more than anything else. I seriously doubt you advocated it in the name of rebuild.
Which defensmen do you think we could have fetched with Nyquist or Tatar? It took Hall to get Larsson so what do you suppose we would of gotten? I remember Nyquist and Tatar were non-starters for Myers so who else. More importantly, who would have offered something better? Because as I remember, there was a plus attached as well. Trading Nyquist and Tatar only became a call for change when it was obvious they weren't world beaters. Same way Athanasiou is now. Or possibly Zadina from two years from now. Or the way most oppose moving Mantha today for Parayko mind you.
Hell, I was also against moving Nyquist + for Myers. Hell, I didn't even like the idea of moving Sheahan either. I don't pretend like I didn't though either just to cry now.

Lets also not pretend that Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall were still very good. Lets not pretend that we were decimated by injuries few years in a row and therefore, it was perfectly reasonable to conclude that we were still a competitive team that needed adjustments. Let me remind you again that we beat Anaheim that year, one of the top teams and went 7 with Chicago, the eventual cup winner that year. We also made the playoffs in 2014 on the backs of youngsters while our two best players were down with injuries. There's was plenty of reason to believe this team had a shot at the prize. Especially when we played Tampa the way we did.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We do not have a top 5-7 prospect pool, we are still around 10. Not bad, but the strength in the pool mostly is in wingers and middle pairing D-men.

Ranking sare all opinion so yes.. maybe not top 5.. maybe not top 15 to some. But i think our 2018 draft really raised our prospect pool, along with the fact I think Ras is underrated because of production and i think Lil Svech is going to bounce back. While no game breaking centers, ill take talent in any form. Figure out the rest later.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Okay, I'll take you at your word in regards to Datsyuk. Though, if I have to guess, you're reasoning at the time was probably due to risk of losing him to free agency more than anything else. I seriously doubt you advocated it in the name of rebuild.
I'm an odd bird. I rooted for both Anaheim and Chicago, because I was so convinced that Holland was wasting an opportunity to start rebuilding while assets still had value. I was already full of venom by then, wanting anything and everything to happen to prevent them from even making the playoffs.

Which defensmen do you think we could have fetched with Nyquist or Tatar? It took Hall to get Larsson so what do you suppose we would of gotten? I remember Nyquist and Tatar were non-starters for Myers so who else. More importantly, who would have offered something better? Because as I remember, there was a plus attached as well. Trading Nyquist and Tatar only became a call for change when it was obvious they weren't world beaters. Same way Athanasiou is now. Or possibly Zadina from two years from now. Or the way most oppose moving Mantha today for Parayko mind you. Hell, I was also against moving Nyquist + for Myers. Hell, I didn't even like the idea of moving Sheahan either. I don't pretend like I didn't though either just to cry now.
The biggest buzz was debating what package would balance out Tatar for Cam Fowler. Tatar actually had better splits against the Western Conference than the East, and Fowler was in the mix as the odd man out, prior to the Vataanen trade.

Lets also not pretend that Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall were still very good. Lets not pretend that we were decimated by injuries few years in a row and therefore, it was perfectly reasonable to conclude that we were still a competitive team that needed adjustments. Let me remind you again that we beat Anaheim that year, one of the top teams and went 7 with Chicago, the eventual cup winner that year. We also made the playoffs in 2014 on the backs of youngsters while our two best players were down with injuries. There's was plenty of reason to believe this team had a shot at the prize. Especially when we played Tampa the way we did.
Like I said above, I was already off the bandwagon, and handing out the pitchforks. But hopefully, going forward, they keep collecting picks, drafting for skill, and putting greater emphasis on quality defensemen in particular.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I'm an odd bird. I rooted for both Anaheim and Chicago, because I was so convinced that Holland was wasting an opportunity to start rebuilding while assets still had value. I was already full of venom by then, wanting anything and everything to happen to prevent them from even making the playoffs.
Where we really differ is that I don’t think our roster lacked all that much to win it all again except for the habit we picked up to play one period per game and thats been the case since 09 finals IMO. Either play well in the first and mailed it in for 2nd and third or sleep through the first two and get fired-up for the third. Hell, the 2012 series against SJ was especially frustrating when we went donw three games to none playing exactly like that to come back and tie the series by playing a full game from A to Z only to revert back and sleep for the first two periods in game 7.

The biggest buzz was debating what package would balance out Tatar for Cam Fowler. Tatar actually had better splits against the Western Conference than the East, and Fowler was in the mix as the odd man out, prior to the Vataanen trade.
Was Anaheim ever even on board with moving Fowler for either Tatar or Nyquist and was there a plus attached? I remember this but very vaguely.

Like I said above, I was already off the bandwagon, and handing out the pitchforks. But hopefully, going forward, they keep collecting picks, drafting for skill, and putting greater emphasis on quality defensemen in particular.
Lol, So in other words, you were patient zero on this whole movement here... Makes me like you less!

If we're not in the playoff picture, I actually rather Holland targets promising prospects more than draft pick at the trade deadline. Similar to what Yzerman did with Drouin. A contender might be quite willing to pay the price to get the upper-hand..

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Where we really differ is that I don’t think our roster lacked all that much to win it all again except for the habit we picked up to play one period per game and thats been the case since 09 finals IMO. Either play well in the first and mailed it in for 2nd and third or sleep through the first two and get fired-up for the third. Hell, the 2012 series against SJ was especially frustrating when we went donw three games to none playing exactly like that to come back and tie the series by playing a full game from A to Z only to revert back and sleep for the first two periods in game 7.
Fully agree on the, "play a period, take a period off" part.

Was Anaheim ever even on board with moving Fowler for either Tatar or Nyquist and was there a plus attached? I remember this but very vaguely.
Good question. Tough to know how an organization really feels, versus rumor and speculation, but the talk was that Fowler was available, Tatar would be a good fit in Anaheim, and Detroit would add either a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a prospect defenseman.

Lol, So in other words, you were patient zero on this whole movement here... Makes me like you less!

If we're not in the playoff picture, I actually rather Holland targets promising prospects more than draft pick at the trade deadline. Similar to what Yzerman did with Drouin. A contender might be quite willing to pay the price to get the upper-hand..
I would be fine with prospects over picks...if they're either extremely top shelf kids, or encouraging blue liners from teams with a great track record of finding defensemen (Nashville, Anaheim, etc.).

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Fully agree on the, "play a period, take a period off" part.

Good question. Tough to know how an organization really feels, versus rumor and speculation, but the talk was that Fowler was available, Tatar would be a good fit in Anaheim, and Detroit would add either a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a prospect defenseman.

I would be fine with prospects over picks...if they're either extremely top shelf kids, or encouraging blue liners from teams with a great track record of finding defensemen (Nashville, Anaheim, etc.).

Well may have been available... We may have offered Tatar or Nyquist and if we did they certainly refused. Maybe they asked for Larkin instead and had no interest in either Nyquist or Tatar... You can't force them to make the trade. Who's here that would have been willing to part with Larkin, or possibly Mantha? It takes two to tango and Anaheim just simply wouldn't get up to dance. Is that Hollands failure in any way?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well may have been available... We may have offered Tatar or Nyquist and if we did they certainly refused. Maybe they asked for Larkin instead and had no interest in either Nyquist or Tatar... You can't force them to make the trade. Who's here that would have been willing to part with Larkin, or possibly Mantha? It takes two to tango and Anaheim just simply wouldn't get up to dance. Is that Hollands failure in any way?

For not having assets to build a team with? By the very definition of the words he's failure in that respect.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
For not having assets to build a team with? By the very definition of the words he's failure in that respect.
He's coming of an era where we were constantly in competition for the top prize. Whatever futures he gave up that brought us into that position came at the cost of actual success... The very place we desperately want to go back to on here. That's besides the point that it wasn't the lack of assets that stopped us from getting Fowler and instead unwilling to pay the price it would have took to have done so. Even if we were a deep team of forwards at the time. Would you have given up Larkin for Fowler? I wouldn't.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The highest quality assets you get by being a bad team, but at the same time if we're bad and collecting those high quality assets it's because Holland fails. So by definition Holland pretty much can't ever succeed in the eyes of someone like you, nor can any GM truly.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He's coming of an era where we were constantly in competition for the top prize. Whatever futures he gave up that brought us into that position came at the cost of actual success... The very place we desperately want to go back to on here. That's besides the point that it wasn't the lack of assets that stopped us from getting Fowler and instead unwilling to pay the price it would have took to have done so. Even if we were a deep team of forwards at the time. Would you have given up Larkin for Fowler? I wouldn't.
Which is why I wanted to trade Datsyuk while he still had value. Ship off at least some of the vets once the window closes, and hoard assets. But that was then.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The highest quality assets you get by being a bad team, but at the same time if we're bad and collecting those high quality assets it's because Holland fails. So by definition Holland pretty much can't ever succeed in the eyes of someone like you, nor can any GM truly.
If he is trying to rebuild on the fly and doesn't acquire the necessary assets to properly complete such a rebuild, isn't that the exact definition of failure?

I think if Holland went closer to the tanking route he could have certainly won with the fans through "failing". And I am quite certain this has been mentioned several times when discussing this issue.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

There is no point, the Holland debate just goes on in the same repetitive loop, thread after thread after thread after thread. You will never change (or even modify) the minds of those who hate him.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If he is trying to rebuild on the fly and doesn't acquire the necessary assets to properly complete such a rebuild, isn't that the exact definition of failure?

I think if Holland went closer to the tanking route he could have certainly won with the fans through "failing". And I am quite certain this has been mentioned several times when discussing this issue.

I think he would have won over the fans that now hate him, but I think he would lost a lot of other's (remember, we are kind of in a bubble here). Either way, as a GM you shouldn't make decisions based on what will make people like you.

For the record though, I admit that his latest re-build on the fly was a mistake and I am admitting that he failed. I don't want this comment to be spun into I'm being a Holland apologist (this isnt directed at you specifically). I get why he did it, but that doesn't change the result.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Which is why I wanted to trade Datsyuk while he still had value. Ship off at least some of the vets once the window closes, and hoard assets. But that was then.
You could argue that in the end 'you were right' but I still think your whole philosophy was wrong. You were right by accident as in, everything that could have went wrong for Holland in his attempts, actually did go wrong. Or to put it in extreme terms, if we find a bunch Mcdavids and Lidstroms as our next core and they all end up on the plane that crashes, I certainly think you'd be way off in blaming Holland for it.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I understand that holland hasn't had that high of a pick in years, but the fact that we haven't drafted a good defenseman in 15+ years is something to talk about

Could of drafted justin faulk in 2010, but went with riley sheehan instead
Orlov in 2009
Roman Josi in 2008 but went with tom mccollum instead
2007 a chance at P.K Subban

2012 3rd round Colton Paryako drafted 86th overall when we go with jake paterson at 80th, Gostisbehere went 78th, small chance to trade up a couple spots for him ?

I mean I want to have faith in holland being he is our gm and hope he makes the right decisions, but it is so hard to put much stock in his ability to draft defenseman.

Reactions: kliq

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I understand that holland hasn't had that high of a pick in years, but the fact that we haven't drafted a good defenseman in 15+ years is something to talk about.

I mean I want to have faith in holland being he is our gm and hope he makes the right decisions, but it is so hard to put much stock in his ability to draft defenseman.

It was more of Jim Nill's ability. Holland trusted to the wrong man.

Wright has already proven that he can do better, like Cholowski. Off-the-board reach and guy has developed better than expected. Hronek also doing well for a lower pick.

It could have been also a stratecigal choise, because defencemen you can find more easier from the market. So the drafts were targeted mostly for forwards. In many drafts they skipped D's totally. Tough to develop a D, if you don't draft them. Latest developed was from the free market, Dan DeKeyser.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It was more of Jim Nill's ability. Holland trusted to the wrong man.

Wright has already proven that he can do better, like Cholowski. Off-the-board reach and guy has developed better than expected. Hronek also doing well for a lower pick.

Nill had players of a similar quality to the same points in their careers. They then struggled for whatever reason. Hopefully we get a little more luck with the latest generation. But I don't think they are blowing away their predecessors though I like both Cholowski and Hronek a lot. They are certainly NHL quality guys for me, now can one of them knock their projection out of the park and be a top pairing defender? That is the real question, not sure yet...

Reactions: jkutswings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
There is no point, the Holland debate just goes on in the same repetitive loop, thread after thread after thread after thread. You will never change (or even modify) the minds of those who hate him.
This is not true. Many of us were happy with the Tatar trade. Many of us praised this summer's draft. The issue is plenty of people will come to Holland's defense when it is totally illogical. This thread is on how bad Ken Holland has been at drafting his way back into contention over the past 15 years and the best the Holland supporters can do is throw shade at successful general managers or talk about how Ken Holland was forced down this path by ownership, despite the fact it has been a well known fact Holland has complete autonomy to run the franchise as he sees fit.

Even when we do get elite talent like Zadina it's fairly unlikely Holland will do well enough with his 1st through 3 round draft picks to build out a competitive team. Veleno may be a steal, or those other 14 or so GMs who passed on him may know something Holland does not. The past 15 years should give anyone pause who expects Holland to build out a competitive team. Hell, he hasn't even drafted a first pairing d-man since Niklas Kronwall 18 years ago.

The larger point is that there isn't much to indicate Holland is still a good NHL general manager. His drafting is poor, his free agent contracts have largely been awful, and he never traded roster players until the bottom had fallen out. He belongs in the hockey Hall of Fame and no one can take 1998-2008 from him when a loaded roster and some draft luck put him in a perfect position to maintain an elite franchise. As soon as the elite talent retired and he was forced to replenish that talent through the draft the bottom fell out. It took awhile but when you can't draft a #1 dman, a PPG forward or a goalie who can steal a playoff series over a 15 year period it's no surprise the franchise has fallen on hard times. To be clear the Holland defenders have gotten every single thing they wanted,as they have more or less never criticized a single thing Holland has done. If it's uncomfortable and painful to acknowledge that it resulted in an elite franchise turning into one of the league's true bottom dwellers well that's just the way it goes.

Reactions: StargateSG1

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This is not true. Many of us were happy with the Tatar trade. Many of us praised this summer's draft. The issue is plenty of people will come to Holland's defense when it is totally illogical. This thread is on how bad Ken Holland has been at drafting his way back into contention over the past 15 years and the best the Holland supporters can do is throw shade at successful general managers or talk about how Ken Holland was forced down this path by ownership, despite the fact it has been a well known fact Holland has complete autonomy to run the franchise as he sees fit.

Even when we do get elite talent like Zadina it's fairly unlikely Holland will do well enough with his 1st through 3 round draft picks to build out a competitive team. Veleno may be a steal, or those other 14 or so GMs who passed on him may know something Holland does not. The past 15 years should give anyone pause who expects Holland to build out a competitive team. Hell, he hasn't even drafted a first pairing d-man since Niklas Kronwall 18 years ago.

The larger point is that there isn't much to indicate Holland is still a good NHL general manager. His drafting is poor, his free agent contracts have largely been awful, and he never traded roster players until the bottom had fallen out. He belongs in the hockey Hall of Fame and no one can take 1998-2008 from him when a loaded roster and some draft luck put him in a perfect position to maintain an elite franchise. As soon as the elite talent retired and he was forced to replenish that talent through the draft the bottom fell out. It took awhile but when you can't draft a #1 dman, a PPG forward or a goalie who can steal a playoff series over a 15 year period it's no surprise the franchise has fallen on hard times. To be clear the Holland defenders have gotten every single thing they wanted,as they have more or less never criticized a single thing Holland has done. If it's uncomfortable and painful to acknowledge that it resulted in an elite franchise turning into one of the league's true bottom dwellers well that's just the way it goes.

You appear to have misinterpreted my point.

I said it is pointless to debate with those who loathe Ken Holland because it doesn't matter what you say, there opinion will not change.
You seem to have interpreted my point as if I said:

"There is no point, the Holland debate just goes on in the same repetitive loop, thread after thread after thread after thread. Those who hate Holland will never say a good thing, about him."

If the bold is what i said, your statemnt would be a good counter point, but it is not.

My post is not even me trying to defend Holland. I am not sure if you are aware of my posting history, or have no clue who I am, but I feel that those who never criticize Holland are just as ridiculous as those who go to extreme's to bash him.

I'm just sick of the same tired argument in every single thread. I think the reason why those who criticize Holland annoy me more, is they have a tendency to turn every conversation into an opportunity to take little jabs and derail the topic, and while sometimes it may be true, I'd prefer it to be left in a single thread dedicated to Holland opposed a repetitive loop all over the board.

For the record, as far as negatives go, all the bolded points in your quote I agree with. The stuff I don't agree with, I dont care to debate because again, its done to death.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Drafting Shea Weber and Roman Josi in later rounds? Pure skill. Drafting two hall of fame players in Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Pure luck. You can't make this shit up around here.

I understand that holland hasn't had that high of a pick in years, but the fact that we haven't drafted a good defenseman in 15+ years is something to talk about

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Blackhawks drafted since Brent Seabrook in 2003?

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Kings drafted since Drew Doughty in 2008?

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Penguins drafted since Kris Letang in 2006?

I could go on, but i feel like i've made my point.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Drafting Shea Weber and Roman Josi in later rounds? Pure skill. Drafting two hall of fame players in Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Pure luck. You can't make this **** up around here.

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Blackhawks drafted since Brent Seabrook in 2003?

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Kings drafted since Drew Doughty in 2008?

How many top-pairing defensemen have the Penguins drafted since Kris Letang in 2006?

I could go on, but i feel like i've made my point.

forget top pairing guys even a solid second pairing guy would be nice

Kyle Quincey is literally the best defenseman that the Wings have drafted in the past 15 years(and even he was 15 years ago)

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
giphy.gif

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
My problem with this whole debate is that it is disingenuous as hell.

Holland has not been “rebuilding through the draft for 15 years”. 15 years takes you back to the original cap lockout when the Wings were quite literally doing the opposite of rebuilding.

They won a Cup and were a home game away from a second that they lost 2-1.

This is the same as the nonstop bleating of “top 5 cap hit, bottom 5 result!” It misses the core idea to get a much more damning debate point.

The Wings just failed on who they picked with their initial “rebuild on the fly” picks. They got guys who were good, but not great. They got D who had skill but no brains or brains but no courage or offensive capability but no desire to play defense.

They also missed out on a high forward who looked like he was going to be really good because of a car accident. They lost a guy who would probably be on their top pair as we speak and certainly would have been in the early 2010s in Jiri Fischer.

***** about the failures from 2012 on if you must, but it is ludicrous to extend the time period back to the cap lockout.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad