Ken Holland expected to accept Oilers GM Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
LOL holland has been atrocious for the past number of years. The current game has passed him by. Guy was amazing for a long time, but he isn’t that guy anymore and the game isn’t the same. The oilers will really regret this move if it goes through. Screams almost Chia 2.0

True of a lot of coaches and GMs in the league right now. Any reputation earned like 5+ years ago doesn't/shouldn't mean anything anymore.

Seems like the worst time in league history to have to find new GMs, scouts, or coaches, yet the Oilers are in a position where they have to do all of those things. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Apathetic

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
LOL holland has been atrocious for the past number of years. The current game has passed him by. Guy was amazing for a long time, but he isn’t that guy anymore and the game isn’t the same. The oilers will really regret this move if it goes through. Screams almost Chia 2.0

I dunno he has picked and developed some good players that are good players now.

Larkin, Athansiou, Mantha, Bertuzzi are all 20+ goal scorers. None of them are high picks.

I think yes he hasn't been able to replace Datysuk or Lidstrom or Zetterberg ... but that was always going to be a tough task especially with no top 5 picks. Wings were never bad enough to get the higher picks until the last couple of years and this year they didn't win the Hughes sweepstakes.

In Edmonton he would get McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH to start with. Can he bring in Larkin/Mantha/Athansiou tier support players to surround them with? If he can, he probably will do very well.

When I look at the Wings I don't see a team that's bad because they misread the style change of the NHL. I see a team that doesn't have a superstar level talent upfront ... but if Holland took this job he'd get the best player in the world, so that goes right out the window.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Seattle for Holland, I think. He already took his name out of contention for the oilers weeks ago.
Building a franchise from the ground up in Seattle would be perfect for him.

Reactions: amethyst

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Rishaug has Hunter and Gretzky as favorites - Holland as a wild card. TSN.

For the great, and long suffering fans of Edmonton, I pray to Howe it's not Wayne......

Edit: Soundwave pointed out to me that's Keith, not Wayne. Phew......

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If he came here I gotta think he would clean house. No way would he move and risk his legacy/reputation working with the group of idiots currently employed by the Oilers.

The only reason he would circle back is if he got the kind of control he was looking for in my opinion. Rumors were the Ilitch family rewarded him for moving upstairs, aka Holland got a raise on his new deal after being paid as one of the top GMs in the league for most of his tenure.

I don't think Holland is interested in just flashing cash in front of him. He has made a lot of money over the years with how successful he has been. More control or more organizational money to restructure the franchise has to be at the core of why he is willing to listen again this quickly if they are indeed talking in depth about him joining in my opinion.

I am kind of curious how Detroit can let Holland and the rumors of Wright leave before the draft though, given what is currently still at stake in the rebuild. I know they owe him, but that part of the timing I do find curious.

Reactions: Winger98

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ah, I can see it now.

Ken Holland building the team, Mike Babcock playing Connor McDavid 18 minutes after he gets fired by TOR.

Bright future for Oilers fans

Reactions: Nihiliste

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

You really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I didn’t notice there was a mod update so somethings definitely changed. I don’t know why he’d sign an extension and take the senior president position if he was going to up and leave?

I mean there's no downside to signing that kind of contract and it almost certainly has an "out" clause.

Lou Lamoriello did the same thing, they gave his job to Dubas, he then agreed to stay on with the Leafs but then bolted 3 weeks later when the Islanders offered him the GM job.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I'd rather see Keith Greztky keep the job to be honest. Holland couldn't do anything this the bad contracts their why am I suppose to think he will be able to do anything with them here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd rather see Keith Greztky keep the job to be honest. Holland couldn't do anything this the bad contracts their why am I suppose to think he will be able to do anything with them here.
One team was rebuilding with shitty contracts, the other has the best player in the world is in win soon mode. Holland appeased his owner until he didn't have to. Guy has a great rep around the league and other GMs listen when he talks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's hard to know how this could go. Despite a lot of hype, a lot of so-called "New School" GMs like John Chayka (Arizona) and Paul Fenton (Minnesota) haven't been doing so great and Kyle Dubas (Toronto) looks like he's also under the gun for not getting contracts done earlier.

Meanwhile Lou Lomoriello (NYI), George McPhee (Vegas), Don Waddell (Carolina) ... so called "dinosaurs" are having great success of late in new situations.

Gieser

May 3, 2019
Kelly was my first choice with Gretzky a close second. Holland has more experience but has not been able to do anything with it for the last 10 plus years and they are in worse shape than the Oil. You other Edmonton fans, Forget His name call him what you will, BUT GIVE THE JOB TO KEITH GRETZKY. Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad