Ken Holland expected to accept Oilers GM Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Folks are seriously underestimating how badly this guy is at cap management.

The wings are a bottom 5 team, have zero capspace and plenty of medicoe players signed on multi year awful deals.

This is not the man you want to try and retool a team that already has it's own questionable contracts that need to be moved out.

Holland is a guy whose coasting on past glories. Sound familiar to Edmonton lol?

... I don't get how we're still going with the false, "Zero cap space" narrative.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But have you looked at Detroit lately? They were a team treading water for years, riding the tails of a few skilled vets drafted near a couple decades ago. Another reason why I asked a question about his trade record- he almost never makes them.

He seems like far from the ideal candidate for what the Oilers need right now....

Holland can draft and develop pretty well though from the looks of it.

Larkin, Mantha, and Athansiou all scored at a 30+ goal rate last year, not a single one of them is a top 13 pick. That's pretty damn good.

Bertuzzi is a 20+ goal scorer on top of that, again not a top 13 pick.

That isn't past glories of guys from 20 years ago, those are young players in the here and now.

If the Oilers could draft and develop like that outside of just the high picks, they would probably be in the playoffs right now.

Oilers have the McDavid, Draisaitl super fire power upfront, they don't draft/develop well enough with complimentary talents to the high end, that's a huge problem for the Oilers.

The Wings draft/develop well but lack that top-end superstar talent post-Datsyuk/Lidstrom, but Holland has that again now.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
All I can say is good luck. Looking at Detroit’s cap is actually sad. They one of the worst teams with some of the worst contracts. Almost everyone on the team currently is overpaid, aging and has term

Not to mention all the ntcs

Sad? They have nearly $20 million in space to play with this off-season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Folks are seriously underestimating how badly this guy is at cap management.

The wings are a bottom 5 team, have zero capspace

I think you are over estimating your ability to figure out how much cap space a team has because this post is utter nonsense.

The Red Wings have zero cap space? What on earth are you talking about? You don't have a clue. You're only off by about twenty million dollars.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think you are over estimating your ability to figure out how much cap space a team has because this post is utter nonsense.

The Red Wings have zero cap space? What on earth are you talking about? You don't have a clue. You're only off by about twenty million dollars.

This season they literally had to get under the cap using LTIR.

Do you think that was an effective cap management considering the were a 74 point team?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Holland should help revamp the scouting and development staff, and simply bring in better people. That's a major major weakness for Edmonton.

In terms of signings, trades, and overall vision in the salary cap era, I've been less impressed. Detroit was 2-3 years late in committing to more of a rebuild.

They need a GM that comes in and is willing to make the moves needed to build a SC contender (even if that means one step backwards next year). They shouldn't operate under the premise where priority #1 is making the playoffs next year, because then they could lose sight of the real goal and make moves that hurt that.

Hextall may have been a good choice. He fixed the Flyers messy salary cap, built one of the best farm systems, and still made the playoffs about half the time. Good balance of short/long term thinking, and experience inheriting very similar problems.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Someone on the Det board did the research that Det had 3x the NTCs vs the average of every other team in the NHL last year.
They were also a contender with a much lower cap to deal with.... NTC and longer term is what everybody was doing to keep their star pieces,and also leaving room for more salary...Detroit was a very good team for years,hense they had more talent they had to squeeze under a smaller cap ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad