Ken Holland expected to accept Oilers GM Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He will either stay or go to Seattle. He won't leave to become GM of any other team except perhaps Vancouver if the job opens up.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
He will either stay or go to Seattle. He won't leave to become GM of any other team except perhaps Vancouver if the job opens up.

I could see him becoming our president. But how long does he want to go? He is in his mid sixties no?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
With the news breaking that Steve yzerman is going to be the next general manager of the Detroit redwings.

This obviously opens the door for Ken Holland to find another location.

I think there are many possible locations for him, Seattle probably be in the most intriguing one.

But I do wonder if maybe he’s considering Vancouver.

He is from British Columbia, you just absolutely know that our ownership would give him an absolutely stupid amount of money and control (holland demands it for sure)

He would be hired as the Vancouver Canucks president of hockey operations.

I still think it’s not going to happen, but it would be an absolutely earthshaking move if he did.

He could come to Dallas and teach them to draft better as a co-GM or soemthing? Nill has shown that he is a good trading GM, but a rather pedestrian drafting GM.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see him becoming our president. But how long does he want to go? He is in his mid sixties no?
He’s 63 now but will be 64 in either nov or Dec. so yes, mid 60’s. He’s a hockey lifer so can see him going until he’s 70.

Kind of depends on his family situation. Will his spouse want to move after 20 plus years in Detroit?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I could see him choosing Seattle over Edmonton tbh. I guess he has to find out if he's gonna get that Seattle job or not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see him choosing Seattle over Edmonton tbh. I guess he has to find out if he's gonna get that Seattle job or not.

Dude is turning 64 though, how many more years can he just wait and write off, I think he would want somewhere more immediate.

Everyone is all up on Vegas, but I really, really doubt Seattle will be able to replicate that success. I think a lot of favorable things worked just right for Vegas and they got the perfect coach for that team.

I suspect the main hold up is the wifey. They've been in the Michigan area for a long, long time (30+ years?).

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dude is turning 64 though, how many more years can he just wait and write off, I think he would want somewhere more immediate.

Everyone is all up on Vegas, but I really, really doubt Seattle will be able to replicate that success. I think a lot of favorable things worked just right for Vegas and they got the perfect coach for that team.

I suspect the main hold up is the wifey. They've been in the Michigan area for a long, long time (30+ years?).
I mean, if he's in good health I dont see why he cant wait a couple years. Lou is 76 and is doing just fine.

I dont even think its about trying to replicate the success Vegas has had, but more about the fact that he gets to work with a clean slate. Having McDavid is a pretty good selling point for the Oilers, but theres a lot to clean up there.

According to this article (Holland praised for selflessness moving aside for Yzerman's arrival), Holland has a summer home in western Canada so I dont know if thats the hold up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean, if he's in good health I dont see why he cant wait a couple years. Lou is 76 and is doing just fine.

I dont even think its about trying to replicate the success Vegas has had, but more about the fact that he gets to work with a clean slate. Having McDavid is a pretty good selling point for the Oilers, but theres a lot to clean up there.

According to this article (Holland praised for selflessness moving aside for Yzerman's arrival), Holland has a summer home in western Canada so I dont know if thats the hold up.

McDavid is the best player in the world and Draisaitl is a 50 goal scoring All-Star player ... so yeah that's quite a haul to start with even if there's not a ton of cap room for a year or so.

I honestly do not think Seattle will be the success people are already hyping them as. Just because Vegas did it does not mean everything will fall into line just so for Seattle, they very well could be more like a traditional expansion franchise that takes 3-4 years to gain any traction.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
LOL holland has been atrocious for the past number of years. The current game has passed him by. Guy was amazing for a long time, but he isn’t that guy anymore and the game isn’t the same. The oilers will really regret this move if it goes through. Screams almost Chia 2.0

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The two studs up front are really enticing in terms of they are locked in and he knows he has those blocks in Edmonton.

If I was him I would wait to see if Vancouver opens up, but we know if he does leave he will want to be on in the Pacific Northwest.

I think he will do a phenomenal job at his next stop, if he wants that. I am still hopeful we can keep him as a part of the brain trust in Detroit.

I do agree with the post pointing to the expectations on Seattle are getting a little out of whack. Holland is one of the GMs that people are going to follow in terms of how the expansion draft was handled in not making things worse by trading additional assets. I don't think the next one is going to go quite the same, but I guess we will see.

Reactions: mjlee

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ken Holland is GM version of Mike Babcock in the salary cap era. If we must suffer, glad that the Oilers will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad