News Article: Ken Holland: Detroit Red Wings to extend Jeff Blashill's deal

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Two years is perfect. Not a long extension that he hasn't earned but enough time for the team to get more skilled so we can see what he can do.

This feels like it’s absolutely a timeline deal. Whether Ken Holland is here or not, this deal feel like it reflects his beliefs on when this team should make the playoffs.

I know he doesn’t want a long drawn out rebuild (whether he’s right or wrong remains to be seen), but with the team as is, plus 2018 picks starting to factor in year one of the extension, the rest of that class plus this year’s 1st should be in the fold by the second year of the extension. Not to mention whatever free agents or trades they make.

Edit: in short, I agree with you. It gives Blashill the time to prove whether he can get the team where it’s “supposed” to be.

Reactions: NickH8

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
2 years is perfect.. young guys are developing and trending in right direction. They seem to play hard most nights, and be in most games even though we are usually severely out matched. Also if he needs to be fired, his salary isn't on the books for long.

Larkin and the boys don't seem to have given up on him, so let them continue to develop as a complete unit. Stability can be a good thing for an organization as long as it doesn't become a stale culture ..

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Personally, I would have preferred a new voice, but it was inevitable that this was happening. Of his 4 years here, this season has been by far his best as the coach, and he has begun to show more trust to the younger guys, and has increased their responsibilities.

I still think you should be held accountable for missing the playoffs 3 years ago in a "what have you done for me lately" league. If you look around the league in recent history, not many teams keep a coach who misses 3+ years in a row. Some of this has to do with the roster not being good enough, but he still makes questionnable decisions at times.

Basically, I don't love it, but I can live with it short-term. A new voice is still needed in my opinion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I still think you should be held accountable for missing the playoffs 3 years ago in a "what have you done for me lately" league. If you look around the league in recent history, not many teams keep a coach who misses 3+ years in a row. Some of this has to do with the roster not being good enough, but he still makes questionnable decisions at times.

Well this is exactly what the the discussion has been about from what I have seen discussed in the past. How do you define "what have you done for me lately"? The definition evolves depending on the perspective when looking at the full picture; whee the team announced their path down a rebuild, the criteria I am judging Blashill on has absolutely zero to do with the playoffs and wins and losses. Player development, effort level, evolution of the type of player shouldering the load, and relative competitiveness are the signs I'm looking for. Player development we have discussed ad nauseam, the effort level of the full team (no denying some players have lacked in focus at times) has been apparent, the team is lead by the players who have developed while playing under Blashill, and the one goal game statistic is an example of relative competitiveness. Obviously being competitive varies based on your talent level, but the fact that the Wings are competitive in games, despite being outclassed in the talent department probably 95% of the time, is favorable for Blashill.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I know Stevie was gone for a while, but he spent his entire adult life in this org and is an experienced NHL GM.

idk, if Holland is still here next season what is Yzerman's incentive to keep waiting for this job when he will surely have other offers?
Hit me up when his family moves to one of those places with vacancies. He just stepped down from the best team in hockey, one that he built.

Reactions: hkydave04

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Now that the extension is done, I fully expect the train to go immediately off the tracks. It just feels like it's meant to be.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
1st line of Helm, Ehn, Glendening?

No, like just losing. He's obviously not going to change what he's been doing recently, but the after all the nice word's that were said, the team's success will just dry up for these last three games so the outrage community has something to point at, cry "I told you so" and bitch and moan about.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
No, like just losing. He's obviously not going to change what he's been doing recently, but the after all the nice word's that were said, the team's success will just dry up for these last three games so the outrage community has something to point at, cry "I told you so" and ***** and moan about.
:laugh: I think after this stupid 5 game win streak the fans can just relax.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
:laugh: I think after this stupid 5 game win streak the fans can just relax.

We all know that won't happen. Against a playoff team, a rival team that fans hate, I can see this team getting blitzed 5-1 tonight with the lone goal coming from Darren Helm and the general fan base blowing their collective GD lid.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Blash is not bad. He's not great either. Problem is that with no generational talent and a GM past his best-before date at the helm IMO this is no longer an attractive opportunity for other (better) prospective coaches.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Personally, I would have preferred a new voice, but it was inevitable that this was happening. Of his 4 years here, this season has been by far his best as the coach, and he has begun to show more trust to the younger guys, and has increased their responsibilities.

Basically, I don't love it, but I can live with it short-term. A new voice is still needed in my opinion.

Maybe, but at the extremes the expectations change. You don't want to be known as a GM who has unreasonable expectations or who is delusional about the actual talent level of his roster. Good coaches don't want to work for bad GMs.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Yzerman coming in come July is pretty late into the off-season to make wholesale moves - so this buys Yzerman a year to see exactly what he has here - the second year isn't going to price out Yzerman from being able to fire Blashill and move on if that is his decision to do so. This is better than Yzerman coming in and having to make the re-signing himself or Blash walking and Yzerman having to hire a new HC who would want more than a two year deal.

Blash does this because it's at least one more year - the chance to win Yzerman over, and worst case the second year is a great severance package.

Reactions: A II R

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This deal is fine by me. And unlike the bad contracts Holland gave to players, Blashill can simply be fired. I'm guessing he's still among the lower paid coaches in the NHL so it's not like it'll cripple the Ilitch empire to have to pay him out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's nice to have some consistency among your leadership. And I continue to believe Blashill has met expectations given the rosters he's been given.

In the NHL, you can't coach a bottom roster to the playoffs without creating a defensive shell system built around making your goalie look good stopping 40 shots a game from the perimeter. And that's a fast track to a first round bounce against teams with offense and good power plays.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We all know that won't happen. Against a playoff team, a rival team that fans hate, I can see this team getting blitzed 5-1 tonight with the lone goal coming from Darren Helm and the general fan base blowing their collective GD lid.

Or even worse, we win 2-1 with the goals from Helm and Glendening. :naughty:

Reactions: hkydave04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad