News Article: Ken Holland: Detroit Red Wings to extend Jeff Blashill's deal

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Blash is not bad. He's not great either. Problem is that with no generational talent and a GM past his best-before date at the helm IMO this is no longer an attractive opportunity for other (better) prospective coaches.
This.

Show me an experienced coach that wants to coach this dumpster fire defense. I wouldn't want a coach that can't recognize a bad defense.

Blash has done well recently, I'm ok with keeping him if he has the balls to sit BigE and Abby next year. If not, then get a veteran coach when the contract is up.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No, like just losing. He's obviously not going to change what he's been doing recently, but the after all the nice word's that were said, the team's success will just dry up for these last three games so the outrage community has something to point at, cry "I told you so" and ***** and moan about.

People are allowed to voice their criticism and not just stay complacent without being labeled as bitching and moaning. Not some peoples fault that others are perfect content with maintaining the status quo

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
People are allowed to voice their criticism and not just stay complacent without being labeled as *****ing and moaning. Not some peoples fault that others are perfect content with maintaining the status quo

If people “voice criticism” because the team loses 3 games within a week of Blashill signing an extension, that’s bitching and moaning. I know people don’t like him and won’t like him, but playing a premature game of “I told you so” isn’t going to fly isn’t exactly a good argument

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
People are allowed to voice their criticism and not just stay complacent without being labeled as *****ing and moaning. Not some peoples fault that others are perfect content with maintaining the status quo

Please explain to me how the last week of almost nonstop complaining about the team winning games and bemoaning them being a loser team because they're only winning now that they're out of the playoffs (3-12-3 record before this, most of which happened after they were mathematically eliminated says hi) isn't *****ing and moaning?

It's not about being against or for the status quo. Everyone was cool with the status quo when we were going 3-12-3 and in second place. Then something changed and everyone is all mad.

But basically, there is a difference between voicing criticism and complaining to complain. What are you actually criticizing? What moves would you have made differently (that are feasible, so nothing like "bench all of our top line guys")? Would you not have signed Taro Hirose? Not putting Larkin-Bertuzzi-Mantha together and sticking with it?

Actually provide criticism or a point and people can voice criticism as an argument makes sense. Without that, it is yelling at clouds.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
A coach doesn't count against the cap (correct me if I'm wrong) and can be fired at any point. So whether you love him or hate him, it doesn't matter a ton. I've seen some good things from Jeff as well as some things I found highly questionable. But I think next season will be another season where they're developing a lot of players rather than seriously contending, and among the guys who were coached by Jeff in Gran Rapids and/or he was their first coach in the NHL, he's gotten some good results.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman coming in come July is pretty late into the off-season to make wholesale moves - so this buys Yzerman a year to see exactly what he has here - the second year isn't going to price out Yzerman from being able to fire Blashill and move on if that is his decision to do so. This is better than Yzerman coming in and having to make the re-signing himself or Blash walking and Yzerman having to hire a new HC who would want more than a two year deal.

Blash does this because it's at least one more year - the chance to win Yzerman over, and worst case the second year is a great severance package.

I am forced to ask for the 86th time, what makes you think Yzerman isn't already fully on board with this decision?

Two years ago when everyone and their mother wanted to fire Cooper for missing the playoffs albeit with a glut of injuries Yzerman had none of it. Liked his system and how he communicated and taught the team concepts. They run the same system and Blash is also big on the video break downs like Cooper. Blash and Cooper are best friends from the same coaching philosophy, one of their mutual close friends in Lalonde also has been hired in Tampa. Like guys this isn't a tough concept to connect, it also isn't like Holland and Yzerman need to work hard to meet in Birmingham to talk over big decisions... I know that isn't technically allowed but seriously it is like how free agents sign immediately every year, do people around here honestly believe that big level decisions aren't being run by that guy living right in town that they have known for almost 40 years?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This.

Show me an experienced coach that wants to coach this dumpster fire defense. I wouldn't want a coach that can't recognize a bad defense.

Blash has done well recently, I'm ok with keeping him if he has the balls to sit BigE and Abby next year. If not, then get a veteran coach when the contract is up.

Best way to move Ericsson is to play him and show he can be a competent 3rd pair vet. And when he's not injured, I think E can fulfill that role - especially on a contender with a deeper blueline where he doesn't have to play above his abilities. Same with Daley.

gator...yeah. Guy just needs to get his head on straight and apply himself to being a good fourth liner. If not, I wouldn't be against sending him to GR just to get the roster spot.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

LG Wings

Apr 3, 2019
Two years is perfect. Not a long extension that he hasn't earned but enough time for the team to get more skilled so we can see what he can do.

This is pretty much where I am with this as well. Haven’t liked everything he has done but I do want to see what he can do with a young line-up.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm not here to say I told you so, but I did tell you so: You don't necessarily have to be playoff finals ready to attract a proven winner...

Case in point, the Panthers just hired Quenneville. I don't want to seem like I'm questioning the Wings' decision. It's just that I did suggest earlier in this thread that sometimes we assume a certain breed of coach wont work with a team that isn't already a contender. Admittedly, Florida is not exactly bottom of the league, but you know it will be a project to make the Florida Panthers into a cup winner. It's more or less taking on the near impossible.

Link: Florida Panthers Name Joel Quenneville Head Coach

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I'm not here to say I told you so, but I did tell you so: You don't necessarily have to be playoff finals ready to attract a proven winner...

Case in point, the Panthers just hired Quenneville. I don't want to seem like I'm questioning the Wings' decision. It's just that I did suggest earlier in this thread that sometimes we assume a certain breed of coach wont work with a team that isn't already a contender. Admittedly, Florida is not exactly bottom of the league, but you know it will be a project to make the Florida Panthers into a cup winner. It's more or less taking on the near impossible.

Link: Florida Panthers Name Joel Quenneville Head Coach
I think tallon and quenneville's past relationship is mostly the reason he's going there. I don't think the state of the team had much to do with it

Reactions: TheMule93

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
From Friedman:

3. Another Toronto assistant, Jim Hiller, has blanket permission to interview with anyone, and is not expected back. Nashville is believed to be among the interested teams. Makes sense as Hiller has a reputation for power-play expertise. Former Florida coach Bob Boughner is a possibility as an Edmonton assistant. There are lots of rumours about Andrew Brunette next to Joel Quenneville in Florida, and there’re also rumblings of movement alongside Jeff Blashill in Detroit.

I assume that means Houda could join Ferschweiler on the chopping block.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->