News Article: Ken Holland: Detroit Red Wings to extend Jeff Blashill's deal

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think it's a good idea to play with our most promising young defencemen.

Blashill extension now has zero impact is Yzerman coming or not.

Yzerman can fire him at 2020-21 if the results are bad. Just normal business.

I'm quite sure Yzerman hires his next guy to be ready at Griffins like he did with Cooper at Tampa. Cooper took the charge after 2,5 seasons when Stevie took the GM spot at Tampa.

Red Wings to extend coach Jeff Blashill for two seasons

Khan mentions the GM change in the article.
"Blashill’s extension seems to indicate Holland, who has one year remaining on his contract, will return in the same capacity next season.It is highly unlikely ownership would allow Holland to decide on Blashill’s future if it were considering a GM change." ~Ansar Khan

Sounds like speculation on his part though, so I guess just hope he is wrong.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Red Wings to extend coach Jeff Blashill for two seasons

Khan mentions the GM change in the article.
"Blashill’s extension seems to indicate Holland, who has one year remaining on his contract, will return in the same capacity next season.It is highly unlikely ownership would allow Holland to decide on Blashill’s future if it were considering a GM change." ~Ansar Khan

Sounds like speculation on his part though, so I guess just hope he is wrong.
I just don't see how this would mean no Yzerman. Yzerman can do whatever he wants with Blash when he steps in, and it's not like there's a ton of candidates out there.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think it's a good idea to play with our most promising young defencemen.

Blashill extension now has zero impact is Yzerman coming or not.

Yzerman can fire him at 2020-21 if the results are bad. Just normal business.

I'm quite sure Yzerman hires his next guy to be ready at Griffins like he did with Cooper at Tampa. Cooper took the charge after 2,5 seasons when Stevie took the GM spot at Tampa.

Yeah, idk, I disagree highly. Why wouldn't The team/Yzerman wait to just resign himself then? You don't let your GM make moves like this unless your keeping him around for at least another year. 2020, sure, maybe your right in that Yzerman is brought in, etc. but for this off-season I think we all need to start expecting a big snoozer. Draft well, low impact signings, move older players for whatever to make room for younger fellas.

This is the type of move made that signals/telegraphs a different story than whats been written on Yzerman in the papers, etc.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I just don't see how this would mean no Yzerman. Yzerman can do whatever he wants with Blash when he steps in, and it's not like there's a ton of candidates out there.

Hey man, don't put words in my mouth!

The signing could signal that Yzerman is another year away.

Reactions: Henkka and Snuggs

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Wether Yzerman's one year or two years away is really irrelevant. Holland has done well stocking picks and prospects and not signing too many vets. He'll hand the franchise over in good shape.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hey man, don't put words in my mouth!

The signing could signal that Yzerman is another year away.

This is what I'm leaning towards. Doesn't mean he's not coming at all but I think it forsure means they're playing out Ken Holland contract.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wether Yzerman's one year or two years away is really irrelevant. Holland has done well stocking picks and prospects and not signing too many vets. He'll hand the franchise over in good shape.

One year, two years... It's just time what do people care? Especially the apologist on here. You guys rationalize losing and stagnate moves like this so well.

Reactions: hkydave04

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's almost like people forgot why Blashill was brought here in the first place.

He was never here to make Detroit a contender. The whole reason he was highly regarded in Grand Rapids was for his ability to develop young players. He's a transitional coach, and Detroit still isn't done transitioning.

At some point, when you see the way guys like Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Hronek have developed, you can't really ignore the good things he's done.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
This is what I'm leaning towards. Doesn't mean he's not coming at all but I think it forsure means they're playing out Ken Holland contract.

Until about 10 min ago when I read that article I thought Yzerman was 100% here as GM in July. But now, yeah, they maybe riding out Hollands contract. I'm not in opposition to Holland at the helm though, he's been doing well the last little while.

I will admit that this is going to be a scary summer for me though. Wings have a lot of cap space and Holland has made foolish choices before. It will make or break my argument in support of him.

Reactions: Snuggs

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
It's almost like people forgot why Blashill was brought here in the first place.

He was never here to make Detroit a contender. The whole reason he was highly regarded in Grand Rapids was for his ability to develop young players. He's a transitional coach, and Detroit still isn't done transitioning.

At some point, when you see the way guys like Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Hronek have developed, you can't really ignore the good things he's done.

I don't like Blashill but I can't deny the merits of this.
It makes sense in the context of development why he would be extended.
I still don't like him as a coach but I will hate the signing less now.

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Until about 10 min ago when I read that article I thought Yzerman was 100% here as GM in July. But now, yeah, they maybe riding out Hollands contract. I'm not in opposition to Holland at the helm though, he's been doing well the last little while.

I will admit that this is going to be a scary summer for me though. Wings have a lot of cap space and Holland has made foolish choices before. It will make or break my argument in support of him.

I still see it that Yzerman joins the organization at next summer, but he is not the GM. They will probably publish, that is gonna be the next GM, but Holland operates until the end (2020). Holland also could be released a little bit earlier after the 2020 trade deadline.

Jim Nill did leave to Dallas in April.

At net season, Yzerman will start to building the next staff core as senior advisor, and is also involved on all player moves. After 1 year, Holland leaves (to Seattle) and Yzerman takes the full GM job.

Working together as a 2-headed monster is better than any scenario, imo. They did formerly at Detroit and they did that also for Team Canada Olympic team. For Team Canada, Yzerman was the GM and Holland was an Advisor, at Detroit it was vise versa.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I should add to this that this is a complete 180 from Babcock, who can coach good players to contention, but wasn't exactly great at developing young players.

If you need an example look no further than Brendan Smith. He was at one point one of the top offensive defender prospects in the league. Babcock got ahold of him and deliberately took away any offensive opportunity (If I recall correctly he wasn't on the PP for a long time) and forced him to play defense first.

Now, I'm all for defensive minded hockey, but Babcock literally destroyed the player Smith was in an effort to mold him the way he wanted. He slightly strengthened his defense and pretty much killed his offense.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
One year, two years... It's just time what do people care? Especially the apologist on here. You guys rationalize losing and stagnate moves like this so well.
How exactly are we stagnating by having Holland re-sign a few RFA's, try and trade away Green, and have the prospects develop another season? Unless Holland goes nuts in free agency which he hasn't done since he recognized the need to rebuild I don't see the problem. Yzerman will either wait a year or come in as President of Hockey Ops, and then the year after it'll be Yzerman or Verbeek as GM.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah I agree with this. This is/was how I feel.

Really prior too, I thought Holland/Yzerman were going to ride this next year out together with Yzerman essentially running the show and installing his coach this offseason, with possibly an exciting/good signing. Now... I'm not so sure. I think they are taking the long, build within type rebuild.

* If Ken Holland is able to go out and sign guys to big money or make major trades for players, I think it signals a lot worst. Ownership shouldn't let Holland chew up cap space for Yzerman to deal with if that's the eventual move/replacement for Holland.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
How exactly are we stagnating by having Holland re-sign a few RFA's, try and trade away Green, and have the prospects develop another season? Unless Holland goes nuts in free agency which he hasn't done since he recognized the need to rebuild I don't see the problem. Yzerman will either wait a year or come in as President of Hockey Ops, and then the year after it'll be Yzerman or Verbeek as GM.

Well, assumption both ways made. From both of us. I find the resigning of this coach stagnate and keeping Holland without adding Yzerman to the show, stagnate. It's stagnate to me because they don't really raise my blood pressure or excite me.That's what I mean mostly. I'm craving that fresh taste of something, and was admittedly already accepting that Yzerman was on board and we'd at least have a HC search this offseason before deciding on Blashill.

I really didn't think it'd hurt to kick the tires on a few HC's available out there but, hey, this is stability no doubt.

I'll be able to judge him better in hindsight of coarse if Green is moved for a solid return, Young players push for playoff action, Yzerman is brought on later, etc, etc, I'm just saying right now... I'm like Really? We're not even considering/looking for better alternative options huh?(At HC) * If Blashill gets the team pushing for playoff action next year he should be extended 3 or 4 year honestly.

Similiar to the tank thing, if we win the lottery, sure great, hindsight this was all really dumb to worry about, but for now, I'm just looking at our odds as we stack wins and don't like the gamble we're getting. :help: Ultimately my man, we're on the same side doesn't matter if we agree with my approach or not, I want the Wings to be winners.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Well, assumption both ways made. From both of us. I find the resigning of this coach stagnate and keeping Holland without adding Yzerman to the show, stagnate. It's stagnate to me because they don't really raise my blood pressure or excite me.That's what I mean mostly. I'm craving that fresh taste of something, and was admittedly already accepting that Yzerman was on board and we'd at least have a HC search this offseason before deciding on Blashill.

I really didn't think it'd hurt to kick the tires on a few HC's available out there but, hey, this is stability no doubt.

I'll be able to judge him better in hindsight of coarse if Green is moved for a solid return, Yzerman is brought on later, etc, etc, I'm just saying right now... I'm like Really? We're not even considering/looking for better alternative options huh?(At HC)

Similiar to the tank thing, if we win the lottery, sure great, hindsight this was all really dumb to worry about, but for now, I'm just looking at our odds as we stack wins and don't like the gamble we're getting. :help:
I understand why you feel that way, but I don't know what alternatives there would be. In Blashill we've got a 15th-20th NHL coach who specializes in development. We've seen that with Larkin, AA, Bert, Mantha, Hronek, Cholo, etc. In free agency you've got Quenville and Sutter who are tough win-now coaches. Both have a good winning track record but have a history of misuse of young players. We've already talked with Dave Tippet, and if they didn't hire him during Blashill's worst times they won't hire him now.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah the first two guys you mentioned I have to have a talk with and see there vision for the team. They're Stanley cup winners, bottom line, how ever you wanna paint the coaching style and I don't even disagree with you. If there thinking is inline with Yzerman's thinking on taking the next steps toward a rebuild then yeah they're knock-out hires to me.

But I mean I think we'd have to listen to Alan Vigneault, Therrin, Ruff, Adam Oates, *Hartley if we can get over the COL thing*.

There are guys to me worth having a talk with. Wings, imo, had the luxury of picking and choosing because I just didn't see teams beating down at his door to scoop him up. If anything it seems Nelson/Blysma have more interest.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah the first two guys you mentioned I have to have a talk with and see there vision for the team. They're Stanley cup winners, bottom line, how ever you wanna paint the coaching style and I don't even disagree with you. If there thinking is inline with Yzerman's thinking on taking the next steps toward a rebuild then yeah they're knock-out hires to me.

But I mean I think we'd have to listen to Alan Vigneault, Therrin, Ruff, Adam Oates, *Hartley if we can get over the COL thing*.

There are guys to me worth having a talk with. Wings, imo, had the luxury of picking and choosing because I just didn't see teams beating down at his door to scoop him up. If anything it seems Nelson/Blysma have more interest.
Nelson is already gone, lol. If he were still here I'd want him over Blash.

Reactions: Snuggs

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah...the longer this plays out, I see Blashill on a 2-year deal and Yzerman coming in, this summer, and getting his feet wet in the organization before fully taking over for Holland in 2020-21. No reason to go out and get a "winning" coach, at this point, until you have a roster (re: defense) that can win consistently, and we are at least 3 years from that, at this point.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

No way.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I know Stevie was gone for a while, but he spent his entire adult life in this org and is an experienced NHL GM.

idk, if Holland is still here next season what is Yzerman's incentive to keep waiting for this job when he will surely have other offers?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I know Stevie was gone for a while, but he spent his entire adult life in this org and is an experienced NHL GM.

idk, if Holland is still here next season what is Yzerman's incentive to keep waiting for this job when he will surely have other offers?

The incentive is exactly what he spoke about in his resignation. Basically the grind requiring him to be away from home and away from his family as much as it does was too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad