Sportsnet: Ken Holland close to being named GM of Edmonton Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Way better than chia. Sometimes you need a guy with a long track record and a lot of experience to come in and stabilize an organization. See Lamoriello with the islanders.

Holland is no Lamoriello. You do raise a good point about experience though. It seems that Nicholson and his crew of muppets value experience greatly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled.

But apparently the other leading candidate is Keith ****ing Gretzky so at lead I'd prefer Holland over him.

I'm not sure if I prefer Gretzky or Holland. Gretzky sends the wrong message - not moving on from the old boys club, status quo, not seeing the need for huge change immediately. But he has been good in his roles with the Oilers up until now. No real head scratchers. Holland has a plethora of misses to go alongside the hits that he has had in his career.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
His very first step needs to be firing everyone in management. Every single one. Lowe, Wayne, Keith Gretzky, etc.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled.

But apparently the other leading candidate is Keith ****ing Gretzky so at lead I'd prefer Holland over him.
I’d rather just keep Gretzky tbh until a good gm gets fired . His moves weren’t terrible as interim .

Or hire some new blood .

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I'm not sure if I prefer Gretzky or Holland. Gretzky sends the wrong message - not moving on from the old boys club, status quo, not seeing the need for huge change immediately. But he has been good in his roles with the Oilers up until now. No real head scratchers. Holland has a plethora of misses to go alongside the hits that he has had in his career.

The problem with Holland is that a lot of his hits were a decade or more ago..

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Holland is no Lamoriello. You do raise a good point about experience though. It seems that Nicholson and his crew of muppets value experience greatly.

Obviously he’s not Lou but you understand what I mean. He knows how to put the right pieces in place to create a first class organization. There’s more to it than just what’s on the ice. Nobody understands that more than Lou

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gross... never mind why would Edmonton want him, but why would HE want to go to Edmonton

I was hoping for someone younger and new i guess.. I like seeing new blood come in for coaches and gms in the league

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Oilers are making mistake after mistake. It’s not 2007 anymore and Holland isn’t going to be gifted with the best Dman since Orr in addition to the best scouting staff in the league.

Reactions: kevrondl and mmvvpp

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
People are going to look mighty ****ing stupid in this thread. I've been one of Holland's biggest critics but a motivated Holland is a terrific gm.

Big fan of Holland's recent body of work. Yes there are a lot of ugly contracts but it's my understanding he was trying to keep the playoff streak alive while Illitch was still around. Once he died, the Wings rebuild took off. He's made a lot of really keen selections in recent years - Zadina, Rasmussen, Larkin, Mantha, etc. The Red Wings development program in Grand Rapids is still the best in the league. He's also hammered out some really solid RFA deals like Larkin.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Another dinosaur retread.

But hey, my team hired Don Waddell, who was about 100x more laughable than Holland would be right now when he was hired and look at them now, so who knows how it'll turn out. Same thing with Jim Rutherford when he was hired with the Pens.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Maybe this will work out but I kinda figured bob Nicholson wouldn’t hire another guy he worked with on team canada after chia .

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Another dinosaur retread.

But hey, my team hired Don Waddell, who was about 100x more laughable than Holland would be right now when he was hired and look at them now, so who knows how it'll turn out. Same thing with Jim Rutherford when he was hired with the Pens.

Carolina already had a good core, they just needed a goalie.

Pittsburgh had Crosby, Malkin, and letang, and had been in the playoffs for a decade straight. Not at all comparable.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
I think this would be a good hire for the Oilers. He is a respected GM in the league which goes a long way in dealing with other GM's. He would have a mess to clean up and it won't happen in a year but I do think if given a few years he would have Edmonton going in the right direction.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lets see what kind of magic he has to clear up some space after Chia obviously did everything in his power to make a mockery of this team

He will inherit a solid prospect pool, but their cap situation/gross contracts is no joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad