Sportsnet: Ken Holland close to being named GM of Edmonton Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Other than fleecing Vegas with the tatar trade has he made any great moves lately ? The yearly vanek for a low pick and dats to Phoenix for a pick swap are all that come to mind.

Oh post above he gave some more deadline deals. The oilers don't really have anyone to shop at the deadline
A second and third for Brendan Smith... 33 overall (Jonatan Berggren) and 2017 #83 (Zach Gallant)
Jensen for Bowey and a 2nd

Between the 2017-2019 drafts Ken Holland added 10 top 100 picks to his picks.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
"If he wants the job."

I don't think he gave them the "Take me off your list" treatment and then extended his deal with Detroit just to turn around and take it two weeks later...

from the sounds of it it was pretty much a "don't even talk to me unless i'll have full control" kinda thing

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he does choose to work again with Edmonton, Seattle or maybe Vancouver these comments are going to age about as well as the people that piled on Lou when he was leaving New Jersey.

Ken Holland is a very smart hockey man, nobody can keep from hitting bottom in this system. Since embracing the rebuild he has been doing a very good job. I am hopeful he will stay on advising Yzerman, but if he does wind up somewhere else I expect him to be successful and I think a lot of people in this thread are out to lunch. What Holland does is develop talent, he does it across all levels. From players, to scouts, to managers, he grooms talent at an impressive clip and wherever he lands that team will be better for it.
For our sake I hope you are right

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
this thread has been sorta surprising to me I never realized just how bad Holland's reputation among non Wings fans is nowadays

us Wings fans have been complaining about him for almost a decade at this point and as much as we wanted a change of pace even we generally realize he isn't some total garbage GM

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Even then, just an awful hire. Hextall and Francis not having jobs is criminal. Those guys can draft and build, even if it takes time.

wait what?! hextall and francis are versions are your former gms before peter chiarelli, dont want to improve the team and being stuck doing things their own way no matter how bad the team was going to be, which the direction my flyers was going to go if homer didnt can hextall. i dont know how you want to go back into another decade of sucking. that's why they werent hired because they have rep of turning teams into what your team is for over a decade.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What a kick in the pants to Gretzky and Hunter

"Hey we really like you but were going to hire Ken even though we didnt interview him"

Like, didnt they just go through this with Chia? Hiring someone because of a shiny resume with literally no due diligence done in researching what hes actually going to do?

Reactions: 780il

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I really don't think he would be that bad, and there probably aren't a ton if better options. And while he gave some bad contracts in Detroit, I think part of that is bred from his longevity and loyalty to the people there. Plus they had their streak of making the playoffs, and I think there was a lot of pressure to try to keep that intact a couple years ago when he signed some of those deals.

He'd be going to Edmonton with no connections, no players he's loyal to. Sometimes longevity breeds complacency, and a change of scenery and pace makes a difference.

Not saying he will be good. But I wouldn't immediately panic basically. Could do a lot worse. Remember how bad McPhee was considered at the end of his tenure in Washington, because of a few bad moves like the Forsberg deal, but then he goes to Vegas, and is suddenly a genius again?
It's a wait and see type of deal I'd think

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think Holland would be smart to end his career on a high note. What better way to do it than building a franchise from the bottom up in Seattle. And a high possibility of the same success as Vegas with player parity around the league.
That would be a good ending with a great legacy in Detroit.
I think Holland will go that route.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really don't think he would be that bad, and there probably aren't a ton if better options. And while he gave some bad contracts in Detroit, I think part of that is bred from his longevity and loyalty to the people there. Plus they had their streak of making the playoffs, and I think there was a lot of pressure to try to keep that intact a couple years ago when he signed some of those deals.

He'd be going to Edmonton with no connections, no players he's loyal to. Sometimes longevity breeds complacency, and a change of scenery and pace makes a difference.

Not saying he will be good. But I wouldn't immediately panic basically. Could do a lot worse. Remember how bad McPhee was considered at the end of his tenure in Washington, because of a few bad moves like the Forsberg deal, but then he goes to Vegas, and is suddenly a genius again?
It's a wait and see type of deal I'd think

Ditto for Lamoirello, people thought he was done done after New Jersey.

Reactions: CamPopplestone

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I highly doubt the Oilers are bringing in a guy who's done jack squat in the cap era...

Not to mention SN has been talking alot of crap rumors of late.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I highly doubt the Oilers are bringing in a guy how's done jack squat in the cap era...

Not to mention SN has been talking alot of crap rumors of late.

He won a cup in the Salary Cap era and was the last team in the entire league to miss the playoffs in the cap era... The system is setup to eventually drag you down whether you like it or not, a quarter century of avoiding that is pretty good.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
That was 2 years after the cap came in... In the last 10 years he's been mediocre at best.. just your average gm

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
That was 2 years after the cap came in... In the last 10 years he's been mediocre at best.. just your average gm

All the trades and free agent signings IIxGURUxII has done destroys a guy like Ken Holland. Ol Kenny ain’t got shit on an HFBoards poster. Terrible GM.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If I were the Oils I would go with Mark Hunter. Think they would end up regretting hiring Holland over him.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
This thread looks exactly like the Chia hiring thread from years back. Boston fans(now Detroit fans) warning everyone and everyone else saying "can it really be worse?". Whoever takes this job will have partial full control, they won't be able to fire anyone of the OBC and will slowly be surrounded by nepotism and mediocrity.

It's clear you haven't read through the thread if that's your take. Thanks for chiming in though :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad