Sportsnet: Ken Holland close to being named GM of Edmonton Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Those aren't steals. Those players were drafted exactly where they were supposed to be drafted.

Which would be a large upgrade over what the Oilers currently do which is instead of "drafting a Barzal or Chabot right where they're supposed to be drafted", they traded that pick for Griffin Reinhart and the only impact player they've drafted without benefit of a top 10 pick is Oscar Klefbom.

Reactions: 780il

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Those aren't steals. Those players were drafted exactly where they were supposed to be drafted.

That's not even remotely true. I wasn't asked to post "steals" but since you bring it up... Zadina was projected go top 3 in every single mock draft, and Holland grabbed him at 6. That is the definition of a steal. Veleno was slated to go much higher.

As for finding gems Holland also traded down to select Mantha, while also securing a 2nd round pick which he used to draft Bertuzzi, a guy was supposed to go in the 4th round or later and is now very solid NHL player.

Nobody predicted Larkin would turn out this good or he would have gone top 3 or 4 in his draft. I was asked to post specific examples of guys he's drafted recently, I did that.

Are you honestly trying to argue that Holland doesn't have a good draft record or are you just disagreeing for the sake of it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean all things being relative ... Impact Players drafted outside of the top 10 in the last 8 years or so ...

Edmonton Oilers-

Oscar Klefbom (LD) 19th overall 2011 - 28 points in 61 games last year.

Detroit Red Wings -

Dylan Larkin (C) 15th overall 2014 - 32 goals, 73 points (last season)
Andreas Athansiou (W) 110 overall 2014 - 30 goals, 54 points (last year)
Tyler Bertuzzi (W) 58th overall 2013 - 21 goals, 47 pts (last year)
Anthony Mantha (W) 20th overall 2013 - 25 goals, 48 points in 62 games (prorates to 33 goals)

I mean the Oilers would be in a completely different spot if they drafted even that well outside of the top 10, they'd be a way deeper team.

Red Wings found basically three 30 goal scorers all outside the top 14.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
That's not even remotely true. I wasn't asked to post "steals" but since you bring it up... Zadina was projected go top 3 in every single mock draft, and Holland grabbed him at 6. That is the definition of a steal. Veleno was slated to go much higher.

As for finding gems Holland also traded down to select Mantha, while also securing a 2nd round pick which he used to draft Bertuzzi, a guy was supposed to go in the 4th round or later and is now very solid NHL player.

Nobody predicted Larkin would turn out this good or he would have gone top 3 or 4 in his draft. I was asked to post specific examples of guys he's drafted recently, I did that.

Are you honestly trying to argue that Holland doesn't have a good draft record or are you just disagreeing for the sake of it.
Just because zarina fell to you, doesn't mean Holland made a shrewd pick. He just picked the no brainer pick. He literally did what every draft pool follower does. Pick the highest ranked player when it falls to your spot.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
If think he's a good choice for Edmonton. He has some warts like his awful loyalty contracts. Also is very conservative although Edmonton probably wouldn't be in this mess if they just stood pat and stuck to their guns, instead they got Chia making awful trade after trade. He will add structure and think make it a respectable franchise again though, It might just take a little bit. If I'm a Oiler fan I wouldn't expect him to just waltz in making slam dunk trades and getting them to the playoffs by next season, just be patient and I think he'll work out well for you guys if you do get him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just because zarina fell to you, doesn't mean Holland made a shrewd pick. He just picked the no brainer pick. He literally did what every draft pool follower does. Pick the highest ranked player when it falls to your spot.

Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Athansiou all scored over 20 goals last year and none where top 14 picks. Three of them were at a 30 goal rate. That's pretty impressive.

Are they pulling a Datsyuk outta their ass these days? No, but I'll take three different 30 goal scorers and 20+ goal forward from four picks that aren't even in the top 12 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

He does deserve some credit there.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

I'm pretty sure the definition of a "steal" is a player that either deserved (not "was projected") to go much higher than their draft position, or went completely unnoticed into the later rounds and turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Not players who fell in the draft for legitimate reasons and/or making the de facto choice with the pick you've got, like Mantha.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Athansiou all scored over 20 goals last year and none where top 14 picks. Three of them were at a 30 goal rate. That's pretty impressive.

Are they pulling a Datsyuk outta their ass these days? No, but I'll take three different 30 goal scorers and 20+ goal forward from four picks that aren't even in the top 12 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

He does deserve some credit there.
Lol all I said, you cant say that he didn't find a steal of a pick in zadina. Zadina fell in his lap. To be honest, when it comes to drafting it's all scouting. I'll give him credit for trusting his scouts.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This thread looks exactly like the Chia hiring thread from years back. Boston fans(now Detroit fans) warning everyone and everyone else saying "can it really be worse?". Whoever takes this job will have partial full control, they won't be able to fire anyone of the OBC and will slowly be surrounded by nepotism and mediocrity.
What are you reading? The Detroit fans are defending Holland. Most Oiler fans are puking. This is the exact opposite reaction of when Chia was hired.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I'm of the opinion, right or wrong, that Hollands success was more affected by Mike Ilitchs desire to win at any cost than Hollands ability as a GM. Ilitch was a consummate owner.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If he does choose to work again with Edmonton, Seattle or maybe Vancouver these comments are going to age about as well as the people that piled on Lou when he was leaving New Jersey.

Ken Holland is a very smart hockey man, nobody can keep from hitting bottom in this system. Since embracing the rebuild he has been doing a very good job. I am hopeful he will stay on advising Yzerman, but if he does wind up somewhere else I expect him to be successful and I think a lot of people in this thread are out to lunch. What Holland does is develop talent, he does it across all levels. From players, to scouts, to managers, he grooms talent at an impressive clip and wherever he lands that team will be better for it.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm of the opinion, right or wrong, that Hollands success was more affected by Mike Ilitchs desire to win at any cost than Hollands ability as a GM. Ilitch was a consummate owner.

That is actually really what caused us to bottom out harder. The streak was important to ownership so a lot of the decisions people find curious at the end were actively encouraged from above him. We will see, Ken Holland is likely to be pretty successful if he decides to leave Detroit, he is a sure fire HHOF for a reason.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
"If he wants the job."

I don't think he gave them the "Take me off your list" treatment and then extended his deal with Detroit just to turn around and take it two weeks later...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"If he wants the job."

I don't think he gave them the "Take me off your list" treatment and then extended his deal with Detroit just to turn around and take it two weeks later...

That is basically exactly what Lou Lamoriello did though, lol. Accepted POHO position or whatever with the Leafs and then bolted for the Islanders 3 weeks later.

Sometimes a couple of weeks to let it sink in that you're not really in charge of the team anymore is all it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad