Ken Holland Appreciation Thread

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Ironic thread or genuine? I legitimately cannot tell. The bar is really that low huh.

Holland moved the worst contract in the league and bought the team flexibility. Either Neal pans out or he's gone for a lot less than Lucic.

Sorry he didn't trade Lucic for Laine straight up but most of us are grownups on these boards.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
750k retention makes this deal decidedly mediocre.

I'll show some appreciation when he appreciably improves the team.

Neal was just as bad as Lucic last year and we're now effectively paying more money for him.

Reactions: Bangers and Aerchon

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I'm happy. Bar is low for both players..even trade that helps cow town with toughness. We get a bit of skill.

Good job Ken

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Neal was just as bad as Lucic last year and we're now effectively paying more money for him.

This.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Neal will double his goal total on shooting percentage alone. Posters need to calm down, he's not as bad as Flames fans have advertised.

We won the trade. Woohoo.
woooooooo4.gif

Reactions: snipes and Oilhawks

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Holland moved the worst contract in the league and bought the team flexibility. Either Neal pans out or he's gone for a lot less than Lucic.

Sorry he didn't trade Lucic for Laine straight up but most of us are grownups on these boards.
Oh wow trash swap. Plan the parade.

Reactions: Bangers

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If he gets rid of Green he will have done everything on my wish list for this offseason.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Hollsy found a way to fleece our biggest rival by pawning off the worst player in the league for a guy who scored 20 goals or more in 10/11 seasons. These are the moves that win you Cups.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Crap for crap.

Sad that this is the best move the GM has made to date.

Straight up depressing that so many are so excited.

The retention sinks this deal. Anyone thinking Neal is worth 6.5+ per year for 4 more years is insane.

With the extra cap hit Holland has again made us worse or a wash at best. Ugh. Holland apparently does not care about the cap. Or is just oblivious to basic math.

Lol. Extra 8 mill for Sekera to play elsewhere. Now another extra 3? to switch out one has been for another... Wow. Let's celebrate

Nobody is thinking Neal is worth 6.5M 4 years but they think he won't be as bad as Lucic.

This trade was about minimizing the damage of the Lucic deal and Holland deserves kudos for not having to give up top picks, prospects, etc. in any deal.

At the very least Neal's buyout isn't nearly as bad as Lucic.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I agree in a way, but he didn't have cap space to work with, and there were some very bad signs with Sekera when he came back in how he was given easier minutes.

Also Neal is a decent gamble to take. With players like Lucic and Neal, maybe all they need is a change of scenery, but with Lucic it is a bit of a harder sell.

It seems like a move that will pay off most next offseason. But I am fine with being impressed with Holland right now based on the moves he's made. But, for me to really be as happy as others in this thread, I would like him to pull one more rabbit out of his hat and do something for the defense. Failing that, maybe another forward, but we might be jammed up at the moment if we are giving a prospect or two a chance

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Nobody was as bad as Lucic. Guy is only going to get worse. Can't buyout the contract, has a NMC in there too requiring a protection spot in expansion draft.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Just as bad how? This is just a lazy comment.

Even to the most optimistic of fans, Lucic rebounding to respectable production wasn't something terribly likely. Since signing here his ability to produce offense at EV just hadn't been there. And this past season in a year where he played 79 of 82 games, he managed to produce half the shot totals that Neal did despite Neal only playing 63 games.

Lucic is trending towards becoming a bottom six regular. Neal looks like a player who requires a set up man.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just as bad how? This is just a lazy comment.

Even to the most optimistic of fans, Lucic rebounding to respectable production wasn't something terribly likely. Since signing here his ability to produce offense at EV just hadn't been there. And this past season in a year where he played 79 of 82 games, he managed to produce half the shot totals that Neal did despite Neal only playing 63 games.

Lucic is trending towards becoming a bottom six regular. Neal looks like a player who requires a set up man.

Maybe if he improves his skating.

Otherwise he's trending to be a regular healthy scratch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll give him credit for this deal, realistically there was never going to be a better deal than this for Lucic.

To get him out without giving up a 1st or a 2nd round pick is huge.

I think there's a decent chance Neal can click reasonably well with one of the big 3 centers.

If it doesn't work he's probably easier to move going forward for various reasons.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe if he improves his skating.

Otherwise he's trending to be a regular healthy scratch.
Lucic? Nah. He's still got positive metrics when he's on the ice. As long as he brings the physical game, he'll always have a home in the bottom six.

If he was a $1m guy, teams would love him.

I think there's a very small chance some of his offense rebounds if he finds himself on a line that generates a lot of net traffic.

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'll give him credit for this deal, realistically there was never going to be a better deal than this for Lucic.

To get him out without giving up a 1st or a 2nd round pick is huge.

I think there's a decent chance Neal can click reasonably well with one of the big 3 centers.

If it doesn't work he's probably easier to move going forward for various reasons.

If we're being honest, none of the Oiler GMs since maybe Lowe could have made this deal. Maybe not since Sather.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lucic? Nah. He's still got positive metrics when he's on the ice. As long as he brings the physical game, he'll always have a home in the bottom six.

If he was a $1m guy, teams would love him.

Guy can't skate and his lack of puck control leads to dangerous turnovers all over the ice. If he was a 1M guy, he'd be an even easier healthy scratch because salary wouldn't be a consideration.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Guy can't skate and his lack of puck control leads to dangerous turnovers all over the ice. If he was a 1M guy, he'd be an even easier healthy scratch because salary wouldn't be a consideration.
The thing about him is that he's never been a great skater, nor has he ever been the primary puck carrier on his line.

Lucic thrived on lines that generated garbage goals. Look at his highlight reels and you see a ton of rebounds. I think he was a bad fit here from the get go.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The thing about him is that he's never been a great skater, nor has he ever been the primary puck carrier on his line.

Lucic thrived on lines that generated garbage goals. Look at his highlight reels and you see a ton of rebounds. I think he was a bad fit here from the get go.

He also used to have a somewhat accurate shot.

Not anymore.

And the game has gotten faster while he has gotten slower, both his feet and his hands.

It's not a combo for success.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He also used to have a somewhat accurate shot.

Not anymore.

And the game has gotten faster while he has gotten slower, both his feet and his hands.

It's not a combo for success.
Agree there. His shot is garbage. There's probably a big concern about his fine motor skills at this point.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Cloned

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
Oilers winning a trade....this feels weird. On a related note, had this been offered to Chiarelli he would hung up and blocked treliving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad