News Article: Ken Dryden on Carey Price (playoff 2015 2nd round)

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Carey Price Can’t Save the Canadiens Alone

Put all 60 of the NHL’s goalies together on the same ice, watch them move and make a few saves, and 59 look like accomplished variations of each other. Then there’s Price.

It is a sight to see. This year, Price is almost sure to win the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s best goalie, and the Hart Trophy as most valuable player. And yet, for this Canadiens team to win the franchise’s 25th Stanley Cup and first since 1993, it is not enough.

But Montreal can also be the worst place for a goalie to play, if you aren’t so lucky. At home, even for merely good Canadiens teams, it’s rarely the goalie’s job to win a game for his team; it’s his job not to lose it. Every bad goal allowed, tied to a loss, is remembered, and accumulates. Every good save, considered unimportant to a near-certain win, gets forgotten. It can wear a goalie down.

It is this atmosphere that drove Plante out of town, as it had done an earlier predecessor, Bill Durnan. It also drove Patrick Roy away, and would have done the same to me if I had played longer. But it didn’t drive out Price.

This year, Price led the Canadiens to the second-most points in the league, after the New York Rangers. He rescued them from the first round of the playoffs, shutting out the Ottawa Senators in Game 6. Now, he has a bigger task, and no matter how outstanding he is, he may not be good enough. He must make his teammates better.

Price makes every save look easy. On a shot to the top corner, even if a goalie’s catching glove is nearly in position, almost every goalie almost every time, at the puck’s impact, windmills his glove up and around to make sure that what is routine looks spectacular. Price barely moves. In not diving and flailing, he says to his opponents, You think that was a great save? It wasn’t. Not even close. I have so much more in me, you might as well give up.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/carey-price-cant-save-the-canadiens-alone-1430841614?mod=e2tw

Last edited:

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Why do we keep on making excuses for Price's bad perfomances? It was a crappy perfomance theres no need to analyse this more than it should.

The team dint help him for sure no one played well. Price was the worst player on the ice big deal, 1 bad game per series is perfectly reasonable.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Why do we keep on making excuses for Price's bad perfomances? It was a crappy perfomance theres no need to analyse this more than it should.

The team dint help him for sure no one played well. Price was the worst player on the ice big deal, 1 bad game per series is perfectly reasonable.

I don't think the article is about defending Price's bad game..? Dryden is actually ******** on the team in front of him.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal

Certainly not worse than the bunch of no-shows who can't generate offense for **** in front of him.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada

Are you serious?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes.

6 goals in 24 shots

a few empty netters

Face off% over 50%

no player under -1

That is because they scored 4 PP goals. Price was at fault for maybe two goals but by then the game was already over.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Ya ok Halak wud have dun better

Genesis76 Plz.

Yes.

6 goals in 24 shots

a few empty netters

Face off% over 50%

no player under -1

FYI, in the game of hockey, they don't give minuses for powerplay goals.

The fact that a Leafs fan had to point that out to defend Price says a lot.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Ya ok Halak wud have dun better

Genesis76 Plz.

FYI, in the game of hockey, they don't give minuses for powerplay goals.

The fact that a Leafs fan had to point that out for you to breakdown your argument says a lot.

What really?

that I was not aware of...

ok i retract what i said

but still 6 goals in 24 shots is really bad.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
What really?

ok i retract what i said

You should start by watching the games. Then, learn the game a bit because you apparently dont have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You basically just proved what Dryden said.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
He's that guy that said Price was a top 12-18 goalie. I'm sure he's just laughing at us getting all riled up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
What really?

ok i retract what i said

lol you seriously didn't know that? You didn't know how plus/minus is calculated and think we should take anything you say seriously? This is one of the best cases of unintentional humor ever.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013

Bad game ???? Show me a bad goal on price. They were all well executed plays by Tampa.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Bad game ???? Show me a bad goal on price. They were all well executed plays by Tampa.

If I had to pick a goal it would have been the first PP goal since it is one he usually gets. Even that is nit picking but for price it wasnt his best.

As far as Genesis76 goes everyone should just ignore him. Maybe when it is only opposing teams fans telling him how good price is it might sink in. I mean once price was the consensus vezina winner he managed to utter that price was good.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I loved Halak just as much as everyone back in 2010. Hell, I even wanted to keep him at the time. But that was five years ago, mate. Say the following with me now.

BZ1jsjs.gif

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Carey Price in my opinion is an elite goalie who belongs up there with the NHL's best. He's had a great run and deserves to have his name mentioned for the Vezina. However, I've found since the Olympics the hype train for Price has taken a life of his own. Besides his success at the Olympics Price hasn't won a thing. What I'm getting at is he's no Roy or Hasek meaning if the Habs can't start putting the puck in the net Price isn't going to steal every game for them.
I often read/hear that Price should win the Hart which I disagree with. That honour should go to the man who plays with his heart on his sleeve every night and scored over 50 goals for the Washington Capitals this year. That man is Alex Ovechkin.
I've posted a few times here before and was belittled for thinking "outside the box". If you disagree with me fine, if you want to argue with me fine (that's what these boards are for).

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I loved Halak just as much as everyone back in 2010. Hell, I even wanted to keep him at the time. But that was five years ago, mate. Say the following with me now.

BZ1jsjs.gif

Come on man, whats the connection with Halak and what I said?

6 goals in 24 shots are you seriously gonna tell me it wasnt bad?

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
Genesis76 said:
Come on man, whats the connection with Halak and what I said?

6 goals in 24 shots are you seriously gonna tell me it wasnt bad?

Did you bother watching the game or just looking at the stats? Stats don't tell the whole story.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Genesis76, is merely stating Price had a bad game. I don't think that's too far fetched. The 1st goal was weak and gave Tampa momentum coming into the second. Then Stamkos made Price look foolish on the second goal (Price's jock-strap is still Missing in action after that one). Although he didn't get much help in front of him and Montreal's offense has been pathetic Price certainly didn't look like the "elite" goalie everyone makes him out to be. My friend even compared him to Roy the other day....After reading some of these comments saying "Price was great" "wasn't Price's fault it was the teams". The whole team stunk it up on Sunday but Price wasn't very good either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad