Keith Yandle Part II

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I can't wait until we let the most talented defenseman this team has had since Leetch leave so we can keep two overpaid pylons and their NMCs firmly entrenched here.

jesus christ.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can't wait until we let the most talented defenseman this team has had since Leetch leave so we can keep two overpaid pylons and their NMCs firmly entrenched here.

jesus christ.

Yeah honestly they need to be able to move one or the other or at least find SOME way to keep Yandle and move Girardi or Staal in the next year or so.

It's just too much that this team has been looking for a real puck moving D ever since Leetch was any good and then they get one and it's entirely possible he walks because they just upped two "stay at home" guys for huge money

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm generally not one to play chicken little, but if they lose Yandle and end up running something like:

McD - G
Staal - Klein
Skjei - McI

they might as well move Nash and start a mini rebuild. In today's NHL, they're not winning out with a D like that. Way too many people being asked to do more than they're capable of.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm generally not one to play chicken little, but if they lose Yandle and end up running something like:

McD - G
Staal - Klein
Skjei - McI

they might as well move Nash and start a mini rebuild. In today's NHL, they're not winning out with a D like that. Way too many people being asked to do more than they're capable of.

Exactly. They'd probably have to move Nash anyway to afford Hayes and Kreider.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

jesus christ.

Sorry but a Leetch, Yandle will NEVER be..

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Sorry but a Leetch, Yandle will NEVER be..

He didn't say Yandle is like Leetch. He just said Yandle's the most talented PMD we've had SINCE Leetch.

I'd move Staal or Girardi...I think Staal, preferable.

Something like this heading into next year...

McD - Girardi
Skjei - Klein
Yandle - McI

Or

Staal - McD
Yandle - McI
Skjei - Klein

Then, no matter what, we have a guy capable of puck movement on each pair. I'd also be drafting another PMD. Yandle and Boyle passing back and forth were things of beauty.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He didn't say Yandle is like Leetch. He just said Yandle's the most talented PMD we've had SINCE Leetch.

I'd move Staal or Girardi...I think Staal, preferable.

Something like this heading into next year...

McD - Girardi
Skjei - Klein
Yandle - McI

Or

Staal - McD
Yandle - McI
Skjei - Klein

Then, no matter what, we have a guy capable of puck movement on each pair. I'd also be drafting another PMD. Yandle and Boyle passing back and forth were things of beauty.

They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I don't understand how this is going to work. Staal and Girardi have NMC's. They aren't going any where. Besides..They're apart of the core and it's success.

Boyle is out at season's end and is the most likely candidate to go over the others the way I see it and with all the other players that are going to need to be resigned, how is that going to work cap wise?

Gorton is going to have some real tough decisions to make..

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Just playing around with the numbers, Hayes and Kreider are due significant raises. Miller will get a decent raise as well. Even with Boyle off the books and possibly Klein being dealt, they'd still have to move a significant contract to fit in Yandle with significant being one of Staal/Girardi/Nash. It wouldn't make sense to move Nash to fit Yandle because you'd still have the same 3 LD with Skjei coming up as well. While I'm no fan of Girardi at his contract, I'm not sure if you can move him with Boyle and Klein already being gone on the right side. That leaves Staal and you have the NMC issue with both him and Girardi.

I'm gonna be pissed if they let Yandle walk because he's the best defenseman on the team not named McDonagh but I also don't see how it's possible they keep him in a way. It's a tough spot and I agreed with someone earlier who said Sather made the trade without thinking of how they'd be able to keep him long term.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
The real mind-numbing move is locking up Staal with a NMC. You see you're going to need cap flexibility in the future, with a lot of talented young players due big deals soon, why give an aging d-man ravaged by injuries a NMC?!

It really makes little sense, and I hope Gorton realizes the 28 year old Yandle is too good to let go, since by the time he's out of his prime Hank will probably be too and it'll be time for a quick retooling.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The real mind-numbing move is locking up Staal with a NMC. You see you're going to need cap flexibility in the future, with a lot of talented young players due big deals soon, why give an aging d-man ravaged by injuries a NMC?!

It really makes little sense, and I hope Gorton realizes the 28 year old Yandle is too good to let go, since by the time he's out of his prime Hank will probably be too and it'll be time for a quick retooling.

Hahaha

Staal is younger than Yandle (who is actually 29)

Like I agree with some of this stuff but let's at least stick to actual facts

e: and Hank is 34...I'll be honest, we'll probably be lucky to get another 3 high quality years out of him. I hope he defies the odds and continues putting up seasons of at least .920 save percentage until he's 40 but we realistically are gonna have to start preparing ourselves for the very real possibility that Lundqvist is going to be slowing down. And I say all that because it's entirely possible Hank is slowing down before Yandle is "out of his prime" (or really, on the steep downside of his prime). The Rangers really are in win now mode if they can swing it unless they definitely find a good replacement for Hank quickly

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Any chance we cut our loses and try and move Yandle by the deadline? I know it would be a **** situation, but it would be tough to lose him for nothing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if youre letting boyle go to fit in yandle, then you gotta move Staal to fit in everyone else...its because you cant afford to lose 2/3 of your RD...even with McIlrath stepping in, its tough to replace those kinds of minutes.

though does he have a full NMC or a NTC?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Any chance we cut our loses and try and move Yandle by the deadline? I know it would be a **** situation, but it would be tough to lose him for nothing.

Not a chance if they're in contention. The only way it'd happen is if they could magically get a super star player in return.

You gotta realize this team isn't rebuilding and their mentality isn't "sell what you can at the deadline", it's "gear up for a run at the cup". You don't gear up for a run at the cup by trading top quality players because you might lose them in the offseason.

If the Rangers are failing to qualify for the playoffs or if Yandle is super terrible this year, then yeah maybe they'll trade him. If they're a contender and he's playing great then there's no way he's getting traded even if they lose him for nothing later.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Hahaha

Staal is younger than Yandle (who is actually 29)

Like I agree with some of this stuff but let's at least stick to actual facts

e: and Hank is 34...I'll be honest, we'll probably be lucky to get another 3 high quality years out of him. I hope he defies the odds and continues putting up seasons of at least .920 save percentage until he's 40 but we realistically are gonna have to start preparing ourselves for the very real possibility that Lundqvist is going to be slowing down. And I say all that because it's entirely possible Hank is slowing down before Yandle is "out of his prime" (or really, on the steep downside of his prime). The Rangers really are in win now mode if they can swing it unless they definitely find a good replacement for Hank quickly

You're right, Yandle did just turn 29, my bad. It doesn't change the fact that the team has a lot of young talent needing raises coming up and they invested a ton (and a NMC) in the soon-to-also-be 29 year old declining (probably due to injuries, but declining nonetheless) Marc Staal, which might also preclude them from giving that money to the constantly top-tier offensive D-man Yandle.

It just doesn't make sense to trade Anthony Duclair for Yandle if you're not gonna hold onto Yandle for the entirety of your cup window.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
"If" he has a good season, I think this is what mgmt is thinking as well.
He will barring injury. Incredibly consistent point production for his career, regular and post-season.

Have to understand 45 points is a relatively low season for this guy.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He will barring injury. Incredibly consistent point production for his career, regular and post-season.

Have to understand 45 points is a relatively low season for this guy.

I understand and appreciate that but it's his defensive game that I have doubts about.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id trade him. rangers were willing to trade Girardi, MZA, and Cally during the deadlines unless they re-signed. i think theyll do the same thing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
id trade him. rangers were willing to trade Girardi, MZA, and Cally during the deadlines unless they re-signed. i think theyll do the same thing.

Other thing to consider is though they "say" they were going to do that they never actually did other than Callahan who was moved for what was supposed to be an upgrade.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I understand and appreciate that but it's his defensive game that I have doubts about.

He's never going to be a defensive stalwart, but people act like Marc Andre Bergeron defensively. He isn't. With the offense he brings, some defensive deficiencies are perfectly acceptable. Not every single defenseman on the team has to be McDonagh in their own zone. Our supposed "defensive defenseman" aren't even all that great in their own zone...

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If Yandle ever makes a play as bad as Girardi flinging the puck to an open Justin Williams in the SCF, I might understand the hate for his defensive game.

I haven't seen anything nearly that bad from him in the defensive zone yet, however.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Other thing to consider is though they "say" they were going to do that they never actually did other than Callahan who was moved for what was supposed to be an upgrade.

they didnt because they got a deal done.

who knows if they would or wouldnt...but they sure seemed like they would...i believe they would have too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad