Confirmed with Link: Keith Gretzky New Assistant GM of Oilers, Frank Jay and PJ Fenton New Amateur Scouts

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Does anyone know what exactly MacTavish did last season? Was he running the Condors?

Worth noting that a lot of the people who MacTavish publicly praised and were his guys (Nikitin, Jultz, the scouts, and Howson) have been let go by Chiarelli. Any other organization and I'd say the writing is on the wall for MacTavish but this is the Oilers so it's not clear. If it's true he only has a year left on his contract then maybe he's gone next summer. I don't really understand what he could possibly be doing that wouldn't be part of Keith Gretzky's job as assistant GM, though.

I believe it was Bill Scott who was running Bakersfield. He also ran OKC.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Does anyone know what exactly MacTavish did last season? Was he running the Condors?

Worth noting that a lot of the people who MacTavish publicly praised and were his guys (Nikitin, Jultz, the scouts, and Howson) have been let go by Chiarelli. Any other organization and I'd say the writing is on the wall for MacTavish but this is the Oilers so it's not clear. If it's true he only has a year left on his contract then maybe he's gone next summer. I don't really understand what he could possibly be doing that wouldn't be part of Keith Gretzky's job as assistant GM, though.

Pretty sure both MacT and Howson's contracts were up this summer. Hence Howson moving on.

My guess is MacT has been re-upped.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Yeah he is.

I've never minded the thought of an organization giving someone their first scouting job. Never know when you'll find someone with a real knack for it.

Here's hoping he turns out like his father.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Kelly Buchberger's career since 2004:

2003-04: Plays final season in the NHL
2004-05: Hired as Assistant Coach of Edmonton Road Runners (AHL); misses playoffs
2005-06: Promoted to Development Coach of Edmonton Oilers
2007-08: Promoted to Head Coach of Springfield Falcons (AHL); misses playoffs
2008-09: Promoted to Assistant Coach of Edmonton Oilers; misses playoffs
2009-10: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2010-11: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2012-13: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2013-14: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2014-15: Promoted to made-up position of Manager, Player Personnel
2016-17: Promoted to VP of Player Development

I'm sure Quinn, Renny, Krueger and Eakins all thought he was a coaching genius, hence them keeping him employed so much :sarcasm:

this reeks of the OBC just imposing their control on previous head coaches and Katz doing the same

the guy has had literally zero success yet continues on getting a paycheque from the organization :laugh:

same goes for MacT...the guy bumbles and stumbles his way around the organization yet somehow has a position in the organization

Howson not so lucky...unfortunately for him, he never donned the Oiler sweater

at least theres some smarter guys higher up in more important positions than MacT and Bucky so these two fools...so the damage will be limited

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Found this little tidbit on him from when he was inducted into the Oshawa Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

http://www.oshawasportshalloffame.com/inductees_view.php?year=2008

"Frank has spent twenty-three years as a scout for NHL teams, including eleven with the New Jersey Devils and eight and a half with the Ottawa Senators as their Director of Amateur Scouting. He is presently scouting for the Montreal Canadiens."

So from 1999-2000 to midway through the 07-08 season he was Director of Amateur scouting for the Sens. And from mid 2008 until now he was with the Habs.

Thanks. You'd think that if he has that kind of longevity with 3 different clubs that he must be at least decent.

Yeah he is.

I've never minded the thought of an organization giving someone their first scouting job. Never know when you'll find someone with a real knack for it.

Yeah, much like NHL teams surround them with established vets and then see how he does.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm sure Quinn, Renny, Krueger and Eakins all thought he was a coaching genius, hence them keeping him employed so much :sarcasm:

this reeks of the OBC just imposing their control on previous head coaches and Katz doing the same

the guy has had literally zero success yet continues on getting a paycheque from the organization :laugh:

same goes for MacT...the guy bumbles and stumbles his way around the organization yet somehow has a position in the organization

Howson not so lucky...unfortunately for him, he never donned the Oiler sweater

at least their's some smarter guys in more important positions than MacT and Bucky so these two fools...so the damage will be limited

The hockey operations dysfunction that exemplifies Daryl Katz has existed since he bought the team...it will never change. So that means his BFF's like Lowe, MacT and Bucky will always have a job regardless of how badly they fail.

Best to just accept that and move on...its never going to change.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
:laugh:

We already moved Hall so that'll probably save him from some embarrassment.

Man this one always bugs me because it's total hindsight, Fact is Boston was in a win now mode and Seguin scored 3 goals in 29 playoff games and 2 of those goals were in his first game vs Tampa. The guy scored 1 god dam goal during the next 28 playoff games over 2 years and just 1 goal the 2013 Boston cup run, 1 goal in 19 games. Boston knew he could score points in the regular season but he couldnt do it in the playoffs, Not picking you out or anything but man he still cant score in the playoffs

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Man this one always bugs me because it's total hindsight, Fact is Boston was in a win now mode and Seguin scored 3 goals in 29 playoff games and 2 of those goals were in his first game vs Tampa. The guy scored 1 god dam goal during the next 28 playoff games over 2 years and just 1 goal the 2013 Boston cup run, 1 goal in 19 games. Boston knew he could score points in the regular season but he couldnt do it in the playoffs, Not picking you out or anything but man he still cant score in the playoffs

plus they got Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith...both darn good players

its not like they got scraps for crying out loud

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
The scouting hires are interesting. Frank Jay has quite the resume, GM of a memorial cup winner, former Sens and Habs director of Amateur scouting. And P.J. Fenton, 35 years his junior, and fresh off his European pro career.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
The scouting hires are interesting. Frank Jay has quite the resume, GM of a memorial cup winner, former Sens and Habs director of Amateur scouting. And P.J. Fenton, 35 years his junior, and fresh off his European pro career.

Ya I'm feeling like people are taking a situation where Chiarelli did what everyone wanted (not hire ex oilers) and are turning it into why didn't he fire ex oilers.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up. Frank Jay was head scout in Ottawa when they passed on Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal in order to draft Brian Lee. All of the draft services had Lee ranked much lower but it was Jay who pushed hard for him. Ultimately it cost him his job. All scouts make mistakes but this was a doozy.

Last edited:

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has brought this up. Frank Jay was head scout in Ottawa when they passed on Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal in order to draft Brian Lee. All of the draft services had Lee ranked much lower but it was Jay who pushed hard for him. Ultimately it cost him his job. All scouts make mistakes but this was a doozy.

Great resume!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

So you are saying that Frank Jay was fired from his job as the Senators head of scouting in 2006-2007 for failing to draft Marc Staal.........before Marc Staal had even played a single minute in the NHL?

Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
So you are saying that Frank Jay was fired from his job as the Senators head of scouting in 2006-2007 for failing to draft Marc Staal.........before Marc Staal had even played a single minute in the NHL?

Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Frank Jay was fired after the 2006-07 season in which Anze Kopitar scored 61 points as a rookie while Brian Lee was looking less and less like a good pick anywhere in the first round let alone number nine overall. Doesn't seem far fetched at all.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Well, he was over in Finland and trying to scout Laine with his club team, except Laine was playing with the finnish national team at the time IIRC. :laugh:

Seriously though, seems like he was mostly doing scouting. Think he was with Chia on all major scouting trips. Top Prospects Game, Mem Cup etc if I'm not mistaken. I also believe he worked with the AHL team a bit, probably scouting/reporting from Bakersfield.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Have any of you read specs comments on sportsnet.ca? He must be drinkin buddies with the fancy stat guy let go. He Spec... All because some one is loud does not mean they are good.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Found this little tidbit on him from when he was inducted into the Oshawa Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

http://www.oshawasportshalloffame.com/inductees_view.php?year=2008

"Frank has spent twenty-three years as a scout for NHL teams, including eleven with the New Jersey Devils and eight and a half with the Ottawa Senators as their Director of Amateur Scouting. He is presently scouting for the Montreal Canadiens."

So from 1999-2000 to midway through the 07-08 season he was Director of Amateur scouting for the Sens. And from mid 2008 until now he was with the Habs.

He had a fair bit of success in Ottawa in later rounds it seems. Later picks he found Antoine Vermette #55 2000, Greg Zanon #156, 2000, Ray Emery #99 2001, Christoph Schubert #127 2001, Brooks Laich #193 2001, Brian Elliot #291 2003, Peter Regin #87 2004, Colin Greening #204 2005, Erik Gryba #68 2006, Erik Condra #211 2006

They did miss on some first rounders though.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

you can find things like this with every team. only teams like the oilers do it most every year.

we have a GM who has actually won a cup in this generation. he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/bruins-draft-trent-frederic-first-round-admit-third-line-grinder/

He essentially admitted to picking a Boyd Gordon type in the 1st round.

I'm still trying to figure out why Bruins fans are upset about him leaving. This guy has made curious pick after curious pick the last couple of years. He might look like the smartest guy in the room down the road but right now, the resume looks underwhelming and it seems like he likes Moroz and Musil type of picks instead of going for higher ceiling players.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Can anyone honestly think of a worse hire?

hqdefault.jpg

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm more happy about Howson out than anything.

If K-Gretz under performs, he will be cut without a nepotistic OBC net to protect him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad