Confirmed with Link: Keith Gretzky New Assistant GM of Oilers, Frank Jay and PJ Fenton New Amateur Scouts

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I wonder if MacTavish and Buchberger are embarrassed by the lengths this organization goes to to keep them employed. Total leeches.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I wonder if MacTavish and Buchberger are embarrassed by the lengths this organization goes to to keep them employed. Total leeches.

I'm sure they are, as it's called, "laughing all the way to the bank". What makes you say these guys are total leeches?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm sure they are, as it's called, "laughing all the way to the bank". What makes you say these guys are total leeches?

The team's record since they've been employed by the organization. What more do you need? Nobody that's been here longer than a few years should still be employed. The team has been a joke. What can you point at to any area they've worked in that says they're good at their jobs? There has been very little improvement anywhere in this organization prior to drafting MacDavid.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
The team's record since they've been employed by the organization. What more do you need? Nobody that's been here longer than a few years should still be employed. The team has been a joke. What can you point at to any area they've worked in that says they're good at their jobs? There has been very little improvement anywhere in this organization prior to drafting MacDavid.
I would argue other than mact and lowe there isn't anyone in a position of influence that was here before mcdavid. Lowe and mact are Katz's buddies it is what it is. Every meaningful position of impact has been replaced at this point.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Surviving four head coaching fires wasn't enough for Buchberger to walk away.
Having his job given to Chiarelli wasn't enough for Mactavish to walk away.
It doesn't seem possible to embarrass either one.

Oct 15, 2008
Surviving four head coaching fires wasn't enough for Buchberger to walk away.
Having his job given to Chiarelli wasn't enough for Mactavish to walk away.
It doesn't seem possible to embarrass either one.

Or having to drive by a billboard paid for by fans asking the owner to fire you as per Lowe.

These clowns have no shame. The PC for the Mact gm hire was all the evidence one needs for that. And yet you still see pom pom waivers shilling for these fools.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Or having to drive by a billboard paid for by fans asking the owner to fire you as per Lowe.

These clowns have no shame. The PC for the Mact gm hire was all the evidence one needs for that. And yet you still see pom pom waivers shilling for these fools.

No shame indeed.

Much easier said than done to walk away from millions just for hanging out in the office and having the odd chat with people in actual positions of power.

Either it's a passive-aggressive way to humiliate the both of them or Katz is looking out for them as buddies.

They have to have the ability to scout junior B games. Still wildly overpaid, but maybe they are theoretically earning their money just a little.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Maybe, maybe not. The mind can rationalize just about anything imo. Maybe in their minds they think they have a lot of good to contribute but that no team other than the Oilers seems to realize it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Looking at a couple of other names that the Oilers brought on:

Frank Jay has been a scout for the Habs since 2008 and held the position of Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting. Not sure if he was fired, moved on, or whatever.

P.J. Fenton appears to have just retired from hockey. Spent the last 5 years in Europe. Never played in the bigs. Seems like this will be his first scouting position.

Thanks. I looked to see if Jay was there for the Habs incredible draft of Patches, Mcdonaugh and Subban but that was in '07. I guess Fenton is coming in without experience so that is an interesting choice, I wonder what on his resume got his hired?

So apparently Gregor said Buchberger got a 4-year extension...

4 more years! Wait, what?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Also heard the mail-room guy is now head of player development.

mqdefault.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe, maybe not. The mind can rationalize just about anything imo. Maybe in their minds they think they have a lot of good to contribute but that no team other than the Oilers seems to realize it.

MacT is mighty high on himself, I doubt that he has any shame whatsoever.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Just took a look at the Oilers org chart and I have a splitting headache. I have to pull the drapes closed and I have to lie down.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interestingly, Frank Jay prior to working for the Habs was a long time Sen employee at the same time as Chia was there.

What was his role with the Sens? I don't mind Chia adding some guys from winning organizations based on their off ice contributions there, chances are that if he took a liking to them that they are capable individuals and at least in some cases upgrades here.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Kelly Buchberger's career since 2004:

2003-04: Plays final season in the NHL
2004-05: Hired as Assistant Coach of Edmonton Road Runners (AHL); misses playoffs
2005-06: Promoted to Development Coach of Edmonton Oilers
2007-08: Promoted to Head Coach of Springfield Falcons (AHL); misses playoffs
2008-09: Promoted to Assistant Coach of Edmonton Oilers; misses playoffs
2009-10: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2010-11: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2012-13: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2013-14: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2014-15: Promoted to made-up position of Manager, Player Personnel
2016-17: Promoted to VP of Player Development

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kelly Buchberger's career since 2004:

2003-04: Plays final season in the NHL
2004-05: Hired as Assistant Coach of Edmonton Road Runners (AHL); misses playoffs
2005-06: Promoted to Development Coach of Edmonton Oilers
2007-08: Promoted to Head Coach of Springfield Falcons (AHL); misses playoffs
2008-09: Promoted to Assistant Coach of Edmonton Oilers; misses playoffs
2009-10: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2010-11: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2012-13: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2013-14: Survives head coaching change, remains AC; misses playoffs
2014-15: Promoted to made-up position of Manager, Player Personnel
2016-17: Promoted to VP of Player Development

Wow.

He's like the Ed Wood of the NHL.

Avenger*

Too bad they wont do the same with Mactavish, Lowe and Buchberger...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Does anyone know what exactly MacTavish did last season? Was he running the Condors?

Worth noting that a lot of the people who MacTavish publicly praised and were his guys (Nikitin, Jultz, the scouts, and Howson) have been let go by Chiarelli. Any other organization and I'd say the writing is on the wall for MacTavish but this is the Oilers so it's not clear. If it's true he only has a year left on his contract then maybe he's gone next summer. I don't really understand what he could possibly be doing that wouldn't be part of Keith Gretzky's job as assistant GM, though.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Does anyone know if P.J Fenton is the son of Paul Fenton? Paul Fenton being the AGM of the predators and one of the smarter minds in hockey in my books.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What was his role with the Sens? I don't mind Chia adding some guys from winning organizations based on their off ice contributions there, chances are that if he took a liking to them that they are capable individuals and at least in some cases upgrades here.

Found this little tidbit on him from when he was inducted into the Oshawa Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

http://www.oshawasportshalloffame.com/inductees_view.php?year=2008

"Frank has spent twenty-three years as a scout for NHL teams, including eleven with the New Jersey Devils and eight and a half with the Ottawa Senators as their Director of Amateur Scouting. He is presently scouting for the Montreal Canadiens."

So from 1999-2000 to midway through the 07-08 season he was Director of Amateur scouting for the Sens. And from mid 2008 until now he was with the Habs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Does anyone know if P.J Fenton is the son of Paul Fenton? Paul Fenton being the AGM of the predators and one of the smarter minds in hockey in my books.

Yeah he is.

I've never minded the thought of an organization giving someone their first scouting job. Never know when you'll find someone with a real knack for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad