Confirmed with Link: Keith Gretzky New Assistant GM of Oilers, Frank Jay and PJ Fenton New Amateur Scouts

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890460

The Edmonton Oilers have restructured their Hockey Operations department, led by the hiring of Keith Gretzky as the club's new Assistant General Manager. Bill Scott, who previously held the position, will transition into a new role as the Oilers Director of Salary Cap Management and Assistant to the President of Hockey Operations.

Gretzky, 49, has spent the past five years with the Boston Bruins and most recently served as Director of Amateur Scouting for the Bruins. Gretzky also served as an Amateur Scout with Boston for three years and spent time with the Arizona Coyotes scouting staff prior to joining the Bruins.

The Oilers also announced Kelly Buchberger will now serve as the club's Vice President of Player Development, Duane Sutter has been promoted to Vice President of Player Personnel and Frank Jay and P.J. Fenton have been brought on as Amateur Scouts.

In addition, the Oilers have hired Andre Brin as Manager of Hockey Communications and Research, Shawn May has been promoted to Manager of Hockey Communications and Media Relations and Justin Mahe has been promoted to Manager of Hockey Analysis.

Former Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Howson has moved on to explore new opportunities and the club did not renew Analytics Consultant Tyler Dellow's contract.

Initial speculation:

Last edited by a moderator:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not an OBC nepotistic hire.

He was head of amateur scouting for the Bruins, under Chia.

Hard to tell how he will do in that role, as he was promoted to that position for the 2014 draft:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

He was Director of Amateur Scouting of the Coyotes from 2006-2013.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007450.html

A bit of a mixed bag. Not many homeruns outside of OEL.
Nothing of note after the 1st round.

I guess his position as AGM means MacT has less of his grubby fingerprints on this team.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not an OBC nepotistic hire.

He was head of amateur scouting for the Bruins, under Chia.

Hard to tell how he will do in that role, as he was promoted to that position for the 2014 draft:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

He was Director of Amateur Scouting of the Coyotes from 2006-2013.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007450.html

A bit of a mixed bag. Not many homeruns outside of OEL.
Nothing of note after the 1st round.

I guess his position as AGM means MacT has less of his grubby fingerprints on this team.

So this is OBC ex-Bruins neoptism mixed with OBC ex-Oilers nepotism. It's like Frankennepotism!

I don't even care any more, it's the way this team has run since the dawn of time. Will never change.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
isn't Bill Scott AGM?

Katz inability to fire his buds has resulted in numerous faux/meaningless positions within the organization and a hierarchy corporate chart that is literally impossible to comprehend.

Based on Gretzky's poor track record you wonder if this is just Katz helping out 99.

Keep in mind Keith was hired in his director of amateur scouting role in Phoenix at a time when Wayne was the coach and had personnel say.

Blood is thicker than water.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Isn't Keith Gretzky the guy behind Bruins terrible draft picks the past two years? Guy who passed on Barzal and Connor for Zboril, Senyshyn and DeBrusk and also took Trent Frederic in the 1st round this year...

Then again I guess he might've also been responsible for Arizona drafting OEL and Stone and the Bruins stealing Pastrnak in 2014.

Not sure what to think of this guy, his drafts seem to be a very mixed bag.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
So this is OBC ex-Bruins neoptism mixed with OBC ex-Oilers nepotism. It's like Frankennepotism!

I don't even care any more, it's the way this team has run since the dawn of time. Will never change.

Hiring staff you are familiar with is something every team does.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Unless Howson or Mac T are gone, why?

And someone ask him about that 2015 draft. A drunk draft attendee could have done better.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Unless Howson or Mac T are gone, why?

And someone ask him about that 2015 draft. A drunk draft attendee could have done better.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm pretty meh about this, will be somewhat pleased if it heralds the removal of MacT.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Probably Howson out with MacT getting promoted to a new job title "Emperor Assistant GM".

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Co0g88fUAAQJ1-q.jpg

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Now for our new word of the day kids!

:handclap:

The NHL IS Nepotism. This stuff is part of the fabric of things in hockey. Even happened in my PeeWee days in the DND system.

"Oh, you're the son of Captain James.....you made the team kid! Congrats. Make sure to tell your Dad".

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I believe that Howson's contract was up this summer, so it makes sense that they might just not renew it. Not like he's had a good track record.

So is MacT's IIRC but he's got lifetime employment opportunities apparently with this org.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
B's fans seem upset Gretzky is leaving their team.

Chiarelli could hire pretty much anybody for the position and I'd be happy as long as it pushes MacTavish and Howson further down or out of the organization.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
B's fans seem upset Gretzky is leaving their team.

Chiarelli could hire pretty much anybody for the position and I'd be happy as long as it pushes MacTavish and Howson further down or out of the organization.

This. Look at our draft record. Look at our pro player evaluation history. Can he really make it worse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad