Keep Tanev or Toffoli?

Who would you pick (at similar cap hits and term)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Markstrom looks like he will be re-signed. Depending on how the cap changes for next season, it's likely we will only be able to keep one of Toffoli or Tanev (there's a chance we let both walk, or keep both, depending on the cap and moves Benning makes, but I think only keeping one of them is the most realistic scenario). Who do you think is the better option at retaining?

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Love Tanev, but I would prefer to keep Toffoli when taking in consderation of both injuries and age curve.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Tanev. There is no defencemen in the system that is even close to replacing him. I have no interest in becoming Toronto West.

I like Toffoli, and it's nice to finally have a winger for Horvat. However, we are in a better to replace him internally in a year with Pod, Hoglander and maybe Lind.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Love Tanev, but I would prefer to keep Toffoli when taking in consderation of both injuries and age curve.

This is the crux of the problem. It's age/injuries vs. positional need.

Tanev addresses a huge positional weakness for the team - both for the present and upcoming years (we don't know if Rathbone will re-sign yet, which leaves Juolevi, Woo, Rafferty, and maybe Tryamkin as prospects in the pipeline....none of these seem to be top pairing, shut-down dmen). If we're talking immediate help, Tanev can't be replaced internally. But his injury history is certainly a concern, and if he were to sign a ~5 year contract, there's a good chance he doesn't play a lot of the games and his play declines in the last couple of years.

Toffoli's younger age fits with this core better, but as another poster mentioned, having Pod and Hoglander in the pipeline makes him more expendable in the near future.

I guess it makes the most sense to re-sign Toffoli and then trade him for a top 4 dman once Pod/Hoglander are ready to take his spot. But I think we'll miss the playoffs without an adequate Tanev replacement for next season, so this option isn't great for the short-term. And I don't have faith in Benning acquiring a top 4 dman via trade when his history includes Gudbranson, Sbisa, Larsen, Clendening, Pouliot, and Pedan.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Tanev will also be much more likely to take a team-friendly deal to stay here like Edler did. To keep Toffoli we will need to match, if not exceed the term and money other teams are offering.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tanev will also be much more likely to take a team-friendly deal to stay here like Edler did. To keep Toffoli we will need to match, if not exceed the term and money other teams are offering.
When Benning was asked (right after the seriousness of the Boeser injury was announced) if he would have made the deal if Boeser was healthy, he said no. To me that sounds like Tofoli was purely intended as a rental. I’d love for us to sign him, but don’t think it’s going to happen.

Reactions: xtr3m

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Under normal circumstances the choice of keeping either a legitimate top-four d-man or a top-six forward is a 'no brainer'. You go with the d-man every time.

But Tanev is now over 30; has a ton of mileage on the body; and is coming off his only season out of the last four where he was able to play almost every game. In fact, even that might not have been true. Because the season was abandoned, we have no idea how long the injury he sustained just before the break, would have kept him out of the lineup.

So for all those reasons, I'd go with the younger, top-six winger in Tofoli.

But I live in hope. If 'compliance buy-outs' are part of the post-Pandemic, salary cap, and the Canucks can shed a couple of their 'albatross contracts', they might be able to afford both.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
The question is, what would be that similar cap hit and term? At 6m x 3y its likely Tanev, if its 6m x 8y you go with Toffoli as Tanevs body is likely to break down years before Toffolis.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Neither. Both players are past their primes and are in that window of regrettable contracts given. Go younger and explore other options.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Love Tanev and if he was able to stay healthy I’d want to keep him but Toffoli really fit in the short time he was here. If his family is on board I’d choose him. If there’s any doubt with his family then go for Tanev. I think Tanev only has us and TML in his radar

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I think we can keep both. Either through the cap rising or a compliance buy out.

The cap will not rise. If the cap is flat we will not be able to keep Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli. Even with a compliance buyout, it depends on how much the cap is lowe red.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think we can keep both. Either through the cap rising or a compliance buy out.

There is zero chance they can afford to keep both even with multiple compliance buyouts. Pettersson and Hughes are going to get massive paydays next season. Everything the team does from now on will be managed around those 2 contracts. As for the cap, going up is the exact opposite we should expect. We should be lucky if it flattens.

Reactions: vanuck

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It all depends how much Toffoli will cost. Also the term, I wouldnt go above 4 years.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I keep Tanev. I'm not a big fan of Toffoli and would rather a younger player take his role, if at all possible.

I didn't think I would dislike the Myers contract this early in the timeline, yet here we are.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I’d keep Toffoli and replace the system with something less aggressive that doesn’t leave our d-men so exposed. With the offensive talent the Canucks now have, they don’t need to be trying to play such high risk hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad