Keep Tanev or Toffoli?

Who would you pick (at similar cap hits and term)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Even with Eriksson just being buried in the minors and Sutter and Baertschi traded we should be under no?

If we could dump Sutter and buyout Beagle, we'd should be able to keep everyone, including Gaudette and Virtanen. If we hold say 1M on Sutter, I think some teams may bit.

I hate to say it but Demko may be worth using as a sweetener to move Eriksson. Goalies have notoriously fluctuating value. Unless he breaks out next season, we're not going to get much. Not to mention Seattle may just steal him from us anyway. So if a team like Detroit or Ottawa has any interest, it's certainly worth exploring.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wrong. We need Tanev because of his ability to defend, pair with our franchise D, and the fact that he is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to replace compared to Toffoli. Try to keep up.
If Benning capitulates and signs a 30--year old d-man in Tanev for $5-$6m a season with a four year term, then he deserves to be fired. He already has a enough bad contracts.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If Benning capitulates and signs a 30--year old d-man in Tanev for $5-$6m a season with a four year term, then he deserves to be fired. He already has a enough bad contracts.
Tanev is an absolute stud and a top pairing dman for us, also the perfect partner for Hughes. 5 million for four years is absolutely around his value.

Reactions: ugghhh

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Tanev should get no more than 3 years. Horvat and Miller are up in 3 years time and we'll need to plan to fit all those big cap hits of Pettersson/Huges and probably Boeser 3rd contract.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The problem with this is that the Leafs don not have any way to free up money as they have way too much invested in their Big 4, for better or worse.
Funny how things may come full circle. The Leafs can easily fit him in if they trade Nylander. What could they get for Nylander at his current cap hit? At least a first round pick and decent young player or prospect. So what's worth more to the Leafs? Nylander? Or Tanev plus the value of Nylander? Sounds like we're back to the old main board trade threads! And, for what it's worth, I think the Leafs are much better off with Tanev plus.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I can’t believe people just watched the Leafs lose and still picked Toffoli. All the offence in the world can’t keep the puck out of your net, he shouldn’t cost too much money, and has been the perfect partner for Hughes all season.

what am I missing here?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I can’t believe people just watched the Leafs lose and still picked Toffoli. All the offence in the world can’t keep the puck out of your net, he shouldn’t cost too much money, and has been the perfect partner for Hughes all season.

what am I missing here?
They evidently weren’t around during the WCE days. Bloody exciting to watch in the regular season but did squat in the postseason.

Reactions: Szechwan

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Tanev is an absolute stud and a top pairing dman for us, also the perfect partner for Hughes. 5 million for four years is absolutely around his value.

4b43yq.jpg

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I voted Toffoli originally. I think I was blinded by his chemistry with Miller and Pettersson in such a short time. Plus putting up a point per game during the regular season made me think our top 6 scoring lines were solved.

My apologies. Tanev is clearly the more valuable player due to his importance to his position. He is the best defensive defenseman in the lineup, a warrior who sacrafices his body for the win on a nightly basis. Playoffs teams kill for a player like this in their lineup. There would be a gaping hole with Tanev off of this Canuck roster, and like we're seeing with Toffoli, not so much.

Both valuable assets, but Tanev bleeds blue.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

what am I missing here?

I'm with you, Tanev is my pick hands down, I think if there is ambivalence it's less due to his value and more to a fear of how he may deteriorate over time depending on the length of his contract.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I'm with you, Tanev is my pick hands down, I think if there is ambivalence it's less due to his value and more to a fear of how he may deteriorate over time depending on the length of his contract.

toffoli is currently hurt, and players don’t normally get faster as they age, so I’d say god risks are similar even if you pick him

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I’m a big believer in chemistry, Tanev can play with just about anyone because of his calm approach. The question is who can replace him to play with Hughes?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Funny how things may come full circle. The Leafs can easily fit him in if they trade Nylander. What could they get for Nylander at his current cap hit? At least a first round pick and decent young player or prospect. So what's worth more to the Leafs? Nylander? Or Tanev plus the value of Nylander? Sounds like we're back to the old main board trade threads! And, for what it's worth, I think the Leafs are much better off with Tanev plus.

The Leafs are not going to trade Nylander for a UFA in Tanev and even if the trade was for a signed Tanev the plus from the Canucks would be very steep.

But it is not going to happen....PERIOD.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would pick Toffoli.

This simply comes down to which asset would be more easily movable later on. This isn't about long-term fit because odds are that Tanev returns to injury troubles and Toffoli gets phased out by Podkolzin (or other).

Bad defense is a worry, yes, but this is a leaky boat with or without Tanev. He is not the difference. It's a team wide thing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think the decision as to whether or not to re-sign Tanev should be made independently of Tofolli. If you can only sign one, you make the decision on Tanev first.

Tanev was surprisingly healthy this season and was on his way to playing a career high number of games But before this season, we were looking at a Tanev who would be turning 31, have noticeably declined from his best years, and injury prone.

Tanev played in 53, 42, and 55 games prior to his season. I don't know of anyone here who doesn't love having Tanev around when healthy, but how many of us were ready to say goodbye rather than commit to him for 4-5 more years at $5-$6M AAV?

Tofolli, on the other hand, is 28 and has three 82 game seasons in the previous 5 seasons. Of course he's now injured so it does make us think whether it's wise to commit to long term dollars to him as it's not like he hasn't played poorly in the past.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I’m a big believer in chemistry, Tanev can play with just about anyone because of his calm approach. The question is who can replace him to play with Hughes?
Actually, he's reached the point in his career where he 'can't play with anyone'. The few times that Green threw him out there on a pairing with Edler, they were awful in this series. Tanev can play with Hughes, period. In fact, it's Hughes who's been carrying him with his out of this world ability to transition the puck out of his own zone.

This past season was the first one where Tanev came close to playing all 82 games. Even then, he was hurt when the season was abandoned in March so he would definitely have missed some time.

The reality is, for the past three seasons before this one, he played just over 50 games. "Stud defencemen' don't earn that title by missing close to a third of the season. And the chances of him staying healthy next season and beyond into his 30's are just bout nil.

I suppose if he's willing to take a huge home-town discount on his contract, then you might bring him back. Otherwise, it's time to move on.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The Leafs are not going to trade Nylander for a UFA in Tanev and even if the trade was for a signed Tanev the plus from the Canucks would be very steep.

But it is not going to happen....PERIOD.
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. My bad. I am not suggesting the Canucks trade Tanev. Or suggesting the Canucks try to add Nylander. My point was that after all the nonsense from Leafs fan about how they didn't need Tanev, the past couple of years demonstrates clearly that, in fact, they did need him and they have failed largely as a result of their team structure. The Leafs are now in a position where they will need to trade Nylander (or Marner, or Kapanen plus Johnsson) to address their defensive deficiencies by either acquiring a D man or freeing up cap space to sign a Tanev or someone like him. The Canucks should make reasonable efforts to retain Tanev. He remains a very effective player and is great for team chemistry.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. My bad. I am not suggesting the Canucks trade Tanev. Or suggesting the Canucks try to add Nylander. My point was that after all the nonsense from Leafs fan about how they didn't need Tanev, the past couple of years demonstrates clearly that, in fact, they did need him and they have failed largely as a result of their team structure. The Leafs are now in a position where they will need to trade Nylander (or Marner, or Kapanen plus Johnsson) to address their defensive deficiencies by either acquiring a D man or freeing up cap space to sign a Tanev or someone like him. The Canucks should make reasonable efforts to retain Tanev. He remains a very effective player and is great for team chemistry.
With Tanev, only two scenarios are possible. Either he gets his money and contract term from the Canucks or he walks. A trade really isn't a possibility, unless Benning signs him and 'then' tries to trade him. But in that case, his contract likely joins those of the other 'over-30 crowd, Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Sutter and Eriksson, as basically 'untradeable'.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Having to even choose one or the other is absolutely ridiculous, thanks Jimbo!

Without Tanev being healthy and playing very well this year on a porous defensive team, we would not be in the playoffs.

Tanev should be signed. Toffoli should be jettisoned.

Reactions: MarkMM

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
We really need to find a way to keep both.

We gave up valuable assets for Toffoli, plus he’s looked great.

Tanev however, is simply too valuable to lose, especially when considering the fact that our defence is paper thin.

We might as well just convert Hughes into a forward and run 5 forwards every shift if we lose Tanev.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, Tanev isn't as good as he was 5 years ago in that 14-15 season.. he was a LEGIT top pairing, number 2 guy.
He is still very useful but he makes more errors than he used to.
If he's on your bottom pairing, anchoring it, you're in GOOD shape. He'd look good along side a guy like Juolevi (if he makes the team). He could shield a weaker partner, especially if fed fewer minutes.
The only problem is, you then have a hole in your 1RD or 2RD position.
There isn't enough cap space for it but if the Canucks had a top 4 RD come-in to the system and Tanev took a home-team discount and played bottom pairing, that would be so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad