Keefe's "hunch" on forward lines pays off for Maple Leafs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Keefe was being modest. I think he knew the skillsets might just be better changed. Tavares is a great tactician on the ice as seen for years before he ever got to us.

He will lead and plan and plot and teach willy lots of stuff. Willy is no slouch and is better than any winger John ever had on the Islanders and he made them better. Willy will be better off long haul playing there and they have skillsets that pass and shoot and equally good. Kerfoot didn’t take ling reaping rewards either playing with them. Kerfoot should stay there if we want the best out of him

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Keefe is obviously a great hockey mind, but one of the best things about him is his openness to experimentation. Babcock needs to take some magic mushrooms to open up some new synaptic pathways. Keefe is like a child experimenting with the world for the first time. Except that child is the best group of players ever assembled under the TML uniform, and Keefe is a savant.

Probably the single best contribution to the on-ice success of his team so far is also realising when something or someone isn't working -- and pulling the plug. Babcock would just let the same 3-4 guys get f***ing shithammered game after game after game. The mouthbreathers around here would say, "of course he's got a low Corsi, he's up against the strongest competition!" The rest of us then tried to figure out why the coach would repeatedly put these same guys out time and again to get violated by the guys who can do the most damage against you, and probably for the longest icetime.

Keefe sees someone getting filled in? Rest up, fam, someone else will do that job tonight.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I very much like this quote from Keefe about Nylander.

“He's been really good here now,” Keefe said. “Whether it's him just finding his own game and being comfortable, or the switch in the lines and that chemistry there, or the presence of John on his line, [he’s been good]. And his presence on the power play, where I think he's gotten a lot more comfortable with his role that he's playing there [at the net front], which has been a new role for him. All those sort of things seem to be falling into place and he's been excellent.”

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Said this before the best thing the Leafs could have done is gone with a young innovative coach, its about time the Leafs got with the program. Babcock? The more I think about it, Babcock reminds me a lot of Sheldon Cooper....smart in his own way, but also awkard af and has a strong inability to adapt to life.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock regressed his players. Everything that he did was all about him. He couldn't care less if the team won or lost as long as he was in the spotlight and in control. The players hated him. Tough word to use but I can't think of another word that's more fitting.
He also refused to change his thinking like always playing the #2 Goalie on the second night of a back to back. Earlier this season Toronto was playing at home against Columbus on a Monday night and Boston on a Tuesday night. So that meant Andersen got the start against Columbus which they ended up losing in overtime and Hutchinson started in Boston which they lost in regulation. I use that example because Andersen had just won against the Bruins the previous Saturday.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
I think Keefe was being modest. I think he knew the skillsets might just be better changed. Tavares is a great tactician on the ice as seen for years before he ever got to us.

He will lead and plan and plot and teach willy lots of stuff. Willy is no slouch and is better than any winger John ever had on the Islanders and he made them better. Willy will be better off long haul playing there and they have skillsets that pass and shoot and equally good. Kerfoot didn’t take ling reaping rewards either playing with them. Kerfoot should stay there if we want the best out of him
Now imagine Kadri on that line instead of Kerfoot

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Keefe is obviously a great hockey mind, but one of the best things about him is his openness to experimentation. Babcock needs to take some magic mushrooms to open up some new synaptic pathways. Keefe is like a child experimenting with the world for the first time. Except that child is the best group of players ever assembled under the TML uniform, and Keefe is a savant.

Probably the single best contribution to the on-ice success of his team so far is also realising when something or someone isn't working -- and pulling the plug. Babcock would just let the same 3-4 guys get ****ing ****hammered game after game after game. The mouthbreathers around here would say, "of course he's got a low Corsi, he's up against the strongest competition!" The rest of us then tried to figure out why the coach would repeatedly put these same guys out time and again to get violated by the guys who can do the most damage against you, and probably for the longest icetime.

Keefe sees someone getting filled in? Rest up, fam, someone else will do that job tonight.
Yeah.
And the contrary,
He affords an experiment or new lines enough time to find their groove.

Matthews with Marner was never more than a "see they dont work" (with Babcock) when he threw them out at random times for minimal minutes.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I was a huge fan of Kadri's and wish we still had him and his jam. Trying him on the LW would have been a great idea. That said, you can't imagine him there instead of Kerfoot because his cap hit is 1m higher. Unless you also imagine Barrie not beside Rielly and Kivihalme there instead as the roster is right now. Yikes lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thing I really like, we don't have to protect our two top lines now. When it was Matthews Nylander coach seemed to ride JT Marner more matchup wise, faceoff selection. Now, there seems more latitude in that regard.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Outside of being a jerk, Babcock was obsessed with this team's weaknesses to the point he was tearing down their strengths to try and fix it.
This question now becomes is Keefe winning hockey games or winning championships? Think a lot of what he's done is pretty much what
a lot of us would of done. I wonder if Babcock would of? In the past, he was really pushing the defense and failing, then put Kadri with
Marner because he was at the point he did have to win games and the Leafs took off. Think Babcock and everyone knows the Leafs can win
hockey games. Right now, loving Keefe is playing this team to it's strengths, but the true measure will be, can he improve their weaknesses
while doing so? Personally I respond better when my boss isn't a jerk and I think the Leaf's play in their own end has improved.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Or now Hyman...

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
__________ Matthews Marner
Engvall Hyman Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Spezza
Moore Petan

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin Ceci
Marincin

Andersen

Not sure if Hutch is the guy as he is 2-1 under Keefe, but would like to see Kerfoot, Johnsson, Hutch upgraded to a guys like Gorgiev and Krieder.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Saw this on twitter this morning, just said "duh" internally, and moved on. Anyone who has ever watched these two play for a single game should have had a "hunch" that they'd excel together. Marner is an elite playmaker, Matthews as an elite goal scorer, it fits. Just put a more defensively responsible player on the opposite wing to even it out.

To go a step further, Tavares does not historically need an elite playmaker, yet has a history of making linemates much better. Seems like a no brainer that Nylander can excel with him as well.

The only person who didn't have this hunch is our old coach, who is rightfully unemployed.

Reactions: Kurtz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Saw this on twitter this morning, just said "duh" internally, and moved on. Anyone who has ever watched these two play for a single game should have had a "hunch" that they'd excel together. Marner is an elite playmaker, Matthews as an elite goal scorer, it fits. Just put a more defensively responsible player on the opposite wing to even it out.

To go a step further, Tavares does not historically need an elite playmaker, yet has a history of making linemates much better. Seems like a no brainer that Nylander can excel with him as well.

The only person who didn't have this hunch is our old coach, who is rightfully unemployed.
Perhaps you have a n extensive ignore list but there were tons of posts in the past stating Matthews and Marner don't work together.
Search Matthews Marner don't work

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Perhaps you have a n extensive ignore list but there were tons of posts in the past stating Matthews and Marner don't work together.
Search Matthews Marner don't work

I dont have an ignore list at all, but I saw many of those posts. Any opinion is going to have a mixture of agreement and disagreement, and regardless of the mixture of the opinions, it really had not been attempted enough to form a judgment one way or the other.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Leafs are better long term and short term with the Kerfoot deal.

Leafs are much more balanced this season having Barrie and Kerfoot. Long term Kerfoot makes 1 million less than kadri and is 4 years younger.

This has been a very good trade by Dubas so far IMO.

However I agree that it would have been nice if Babs would've tried Kadri with the top 6 last season... instead of as a 3rd line center. May have even increased Kadri's trade value.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dont have an ignore list at all, but I saw many of those posts. Any opinion is going to have a mixture of agreement and disagreement, and regardless of the mixture of the opinions, it really had not been attempted enough to form a judgment one way or the other.
So it wasn't only the coach then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad