Keaton Ellerby

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@NHLJets: "He just needs to bring enthusiasm into the game. He's played with Buff before, so it should be a good transition for him."-Noel on Ellerby

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
@NHLJets: "He just needs to bring enthusiasm into the game. He's played with Buff before, so it should be a good transition for him."-Noel on Ellerby

I guess that will be our best hint as to why he was sitting out.

Enthusiasm.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Leads the team with a +7 in 29 games. Known as a stay at home defenseman. Stats like that look favorable to goaltenders and coaches. Would you re-sign Ellerby and would you consider him part of the future of the team going forward?

I prefer players who are strong stay at home defensemen and the fact he is a +7 would be good reason for me to re-sign him and to give him a chance to earn a spot as a future component of this team going forward. I would love to see him given a chance with some of the core defensemen on the team and think he is coming into his own as a responsible defenseman.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
+/- is useless. He has been adequate in his role but he has also been very sheltered. If signing him means a prospect or free agent doesn't get a chance, then I don't like it.

That said, I prefer him to Stuart and MAYBE Clitsome.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
I think he had his best game of the season tonight playing with Pardy. He was physical and made smart plays. First time I've seen him use size

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
+/- is useless. He has been adequate in his role but he has also been very sheltered. If signing him means a prospect or free agent doesn't get a chance, then I don't like it.

That said, I prefer him to Stuart and MAYBE Clitsome.

This.

What I want next year:

Enstrom - Bogo / Trouba
UFA/BuffTrade - Bogo/Trouba
Clitsome/Ellerby-Redmond/Postma
Clitsome/Ellerby-Redmond/Postma

(insert Buff somehow instead of UFA if no trade, and PLEASE tell one of Bogo or Trouba to practice their off hand over the summer)

<3

Then top 9 forwards: Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Kane, Frolik + 3 new players (UFA, Buff trade, Burmi, Burmi trade)... as long as NOT using Tangradi/Peluso/Slater/Wright/Halischuk/similarcalibre.
Then bottom 4 forwards: 1 new player (with top9 upside preferable), plus 3 of Tangradi, Peluso, Wright, Halischuk and Slater.

Goaltending... ya...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would be happy to have him as a 7th D, but there certainly does seem to be an "enthusiasm" issue there. As for Stuart, I don't get all the hate. The guy is a competitor and a positive locker room presence. He's a tenacious defender with a limited skill set, but he makes this team better in my opinion.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I would be happy to have him as a 7th D, but there certainly does seem to be an "enthusiasm" issue there. As for Stuart, I don't get all the hate. The guy is a competitor and a positive locker room presence. He's a tenacious defender with a limited skill set, but he makes this team better in my opinion.

It's not hate... it's people who do not believe he makes the team better.

I believe he makes the team worse due to his limited skill set. I wish I could transplant the aspects I like about him into a player because his spirit is awesome, but everything else is lacking.

Jets' are outshot attempted, out non-block shot attempted, out shot, and out scored more when on the ice than most of our defenders since Jets 2.0 started... even though Stu tends to have easier QoC, although not overly easy (or hard) QoT or OZS overall.

Shot attempts with Stuart on ice:
for 1436
against 1626
ratio 47%

Shot attempts with Stuart off ice:
for 4330
against 4213
ratio 51%

And for those who care more about goals:
Bcd9jGYCQAAXr8a.jpg:large

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I wasn't a big fan of Ellerby at the beginning of the season due to his questionable defensive zone play, but he has picked it up these last few games. I hope this trend continues, because it's nice to have a big defenseman that can skate well. Right now, I definitely like him better than Clitsome... but I'm a big Clitsome hater this season.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
He was real good last night in SJ.

I like Clitsome but he was bad most nights this season, hopefully because he was hiding the back injury.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I wasn't a big fan of Ellerby at the beginning of the season due to his questionable defensive zone play, but he has picked it up these last few games. I hope this trend continues, because it's nice to have a big defenseman that can skate well. Right now, I definitely like him better than Clitsome... but I'm a big Clitsome hater this season.

It's funny, I was just in an elevated with two strangers and they said this exact same thing.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
I think he had his best game of the season tonight playing with Pardy. He was physical and made smart plays. First time I've seen him use size

yeah I don't think he's really figured out how to consistently use size and be effective. Glad he looked good though, hopefully he (along with the rest of the team) can continue to improve.

nic16

Jan 7, 2014
With Bogo + Kid Wonder in front of him on RD, and Postma + Redmond behind him I'm OK with Ellerby on the 3rd pairing. He's got good size, reach, decent strength along the boards, and actually shows flashes of offense. That said, I'd like to see him put on some weight and put a little power + aggression in his game.

More time under Charlie + PMo, and a summer with Gary Roberts, could help him elevate his game to the level of a solid bottom pairing d-man.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
With Bogo + Kid Wonder in front of him on RD, and Postma + Redmond behind him I'm OK with Ellerby on the 3rd pairing. He's got good size, reach, decent strength along the boards, and actually shows flashes of offense. That said, I'd like to see him put on some weight and put a little power + aggression in his game.

More time under Charlie + PMo, and a summer with Gary Roberts, could help him elevate his game to the level of a solid bottom pairing d-man.

I think he will be a very good 3rd pairing defenseman in this league for a long time. Great skater and he will still continue to fill out as he gets older. I think he will peak a little later than most, just because of his size.

Didn't really look to see how big his dad was. Did Notice a few big boys during the Jet's game last night. This team is going to be one beast of a team once these guys fully mature if their dads are any indication.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Ellerby certainly was a good pick up but chevy on the waiver. That being said I don't see him being anymore than a 3rd pairing dee. He has good size but doesn't really use it enough. If he did he would be more effective.Also like alot of defencemen out there he stops skating when he has the puck again making him less effective.If he was better in these areas he could really be quite the pick up.He's still fairly young so heres to hoping he does.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
He looked great last night against the Sharks. Reminded me of the very good game Toby had the other day. I wouldn't mind retaining him for the right price.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Did you guys know he was a 10th overall pick?

It makes me wonder if he could develop further, and if, perhaps he didn't have sufficient opportunity on a deep team.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I like Ellerby - I think he's got some untapped upside. For a 3rd pairing guy, you could do worse. He skates well, moves the puck reasonably well, and has been trying to take the body and play physical.

I think about these guys when I think about Ellerby: Flood, Meech, Jones. *shiver* Would rather have Ellerby, thanks.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Did you guys know he was a 10th overall pick?

It makes me wonder if he could develop further, and if, perhaps he didn't have sufficient opportunity on a deep team.

i did! but I suppose I don't really count since i've followed his career since his first year in the AHL.

Honestly im hoping he does develop further, personally I think he would be further along development -wise if he didn't start with Florida. Also watching him in Rochester I thought he was fairly solid, however he got a ton of hate from both Rochester and Florida fans. My dad told me recently " You know, I might have liked him if he didn't piss me off so much. He has all the tools but he makes dumbass desicions."

If he's playing with the right coach he could actually still live up to being a solid 10th overall pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad