Keaton Ellerby

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still have hope for Ellerby. I think he's been a good 3rd pair guy. I've liked him overall more than Clitsome tbh.

I think that if he can mature a bit more, get a little heavier, he has the potential to be a 2nd pair shutdown guy. Some of the best NHL defensemen didn't come into their own until their late 20's and there is some pedigree there.

Good pick up and a no brainer to re-sign. Really wish Chevy wouldn't have given Clitty that contract.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I guess I pose a different question then, what about Ellerby developing into a 2nd pair guy / #1 PK unit? It may not seem realistic but when someone proposed him even joining the team it was dismissed and he was deemed too much of a liability. I find it interesting that his +/- has gotten better almost each year since the start of juniors. I am well aware +/- is skewed by the performance of the team but he was a +7 and Byfuglien is a -17.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I guess I pose a different question then, what about Ellerby developing into a 2nd pair guy / #1 PK unit? It may not seem realistic but when someone proposed him even joining the team it was dismissed and he was deemed too much of a liability. I find it interesting that his +/- has gotten better almost each year since the start of juniors. I am well aware +/- is skewed by the performance of the team but he was a +7 and Byfuglien is a -17.

It's skewed by the fact that the coaching staff does all they can to keep Ellerby away from the top 2 lines of the other team.

Probably a cause for it rising too, as coaches have less and less faith in him to play against top competition.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's skewed by the fact that the coaching staff does all they can to keep Ellerby away from the top 2 lines of the other team.

Probably a cause for it rising too, as coaches have less and less faith in him to play against top competition.

So then if he is a 3rd line pairing defenseman and a +7 wouldn't that make him better than a 3rd line defenseman and worth asking if he can develop into a 2nd line defenseman and #1 PK defenseman or #2 PK defenseman if he isn't already.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
So then if he is a 3rd line pairing defenseman and a +7 wouldn't that make him better than a 3rd line defenseman and worth asking if he can develop into a 2nd line defenseman and #1 PK defenseman or #2 PK defenseman if he isn't already.

Its a valid question. He may or may not develop into a 2nd pairing dman or a #1/#2 pk dman. Only time will tell. He was used on LAs pk by Darryl Sutter quite a bit and at one point Sutter dressed 7 dmen for a game or two just to use Ellerby on the pk

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Its a valid question. He may or may not develop into a 2nd pairing dman or a #1/#2 pk dman. Only time will tell. He was used on LAs pk by Darryl Sutter quite a bit and at one point Sutter dressed 7 dmen for a game or two just to use Ellerby on the pk

I am all for giving him a chance. He was a 10th overall draft choice and has shown improvement and I don't hear people makes remarks about him making bad plays as much as I hear Stuart/Pardy/Bogo/Buff/Enstrom. He may be shielded but things happens and he still has to play against top lines for periods of time just like everyone else.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
I am all for giving him a chance. He was a 10th overall draft choice and has shown improvement and I don't hear people makes remarks about him making bad plays as much as I hear Stuart/Pardy/Bogo/Buff/Enstrom. He may be shielded but things happens and he still has to play against top lines for periods of time just like everyone else.

I think his biggest problem is confidence. I don't know what it was like in Fla or LA or what it's like in WPG but I do know what it was like in Rochester (AHL) Rochester fans HATED him. Think of it this way, you're 19/20 years old and trying to adjust to a faster game but all people can do is rip you down. His second season he was an AHL all-star and you know who the first people to say he was awful and didn't deserve to be an all-star were? Rochester fans.I get ragging on players but they always targeted him and came up with all his flaws even if he was the best player for them that night. couldn't they just be happy for him every once in a while? That year he also got his first hat trick. Rochester fans booed him for that too.I realize that AHL and NHL are different but still.

I honestly think I gravitated more towards him as a favorite player because it almost seemed like no one else would give him a chance. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to let people know what I saw in the early stages of his pro career that could have contributed to his lack of development

Last edited:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
the bigger problem on a Ellerby/Pardy pairing is Pardy.Ellerby is playing his off side which I'm not sure where he has played in the past.I actually prefer him on the off side as he is forced to put it up the boards a lot more instead of making his dangerous cross ice outlet passes.That being said the I think he is a good 6/7 dman who still has a lot of room to grow.I really hope we hang on to him as I think he should be slotted ahead of Clitsome,pardy,Postma and Redmond and even Stuart on some nights.Redmond is the only one of the bunch that has as much potential as Ellerby but they bring different things to the table.The fact that he plays both sides comfortably makes him valuable as a bottom pairing guy.We need a legit short term #4 Left handed D for two years until Morrisey is ready in order for our D corps to round into shape.I would love a guy like Braydon Coburn.

Enstrom/Bogo
Coburn/Trouba
Stuart/Ellerby,Redmond

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Maybe Maurice should try a pairing of Ellerby Trouba?

I like that pairing.

What I do not like is Pardy Stuart *shudders*

I'd actually like to see Redmond draw in. Maybe pull Pardy out. I'd say scratch Stuart but for some reason they like playing him.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I like Ellerby. I don't think he is a better player then Clitsome. Grant didn't have the best beginning to what was a very short season for him, however he played very well to close out the latter half of then shortened 2013 campaign. I do believe that Ellerby has room to grow and may well become a better player then Clitsome. For now Keaton is a 6/7 in my eyes, that we should definitely bring back. I like his upside a lot.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
the bigger problem on a Ellerby/Pardy pairing is Pardy.Ellerby is playing his off side which I'm not sure where he has played in the past.I actually prefer him on the off side as he is forced to put it up the boards a lot more instead of making his dangerous cross ice outlet passes.That being said the I think he is a good 6/7 dman who still has a lot of room to grow.I really hope we hang on to him as I think he should be slotted ahead of Clitsome,pardy,Postma and Redmond and even Stuart on some nights.Redmond is the only one of the bunch that has as much potential as Ellerby but they bring different things to the table.The fact that he plays both sides comfortably makes him valuable as a bottom pairing guy.We need a legit short term #4 Left handed D for two years until Morrisey is ready in order for our D corps to round into shape.I would love a guy like Braydon Coburn.

Enstrom/Bogo
Coburn/Trouba
Stuart/Ellerby,Redmond

Darryl Sutter used him on both sides quite a bit last year. Before that he didn't really play on his offside.(that I can remember off the top of my head)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wonder why?:sarcasm:

That is a very good question. When Noel played him without fail I just summed it up to 'Noel being Noel". Now Maurice is doing it. There is no way these professional men are missing what we are pretty much all seeing.

The only thing I can think is that we are missing some critical information.

Stuart, despite his effort, leadership and shot blocking is WAY down my Jets depth list. Below Redmond and maybe even Postma tbh

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
From what I've heard, Stuart is decent at knowing the game in a coaching sense. He is also respected for his off-ice training. That could all be a large part.

Plus there's the whole nearing-supersticious concept of transfering high-energy style; as Engblom (sp?) once said: when Stu goes, the team goes (which I don't quite agree).

That and Stu did actually play relatively well in the Cali games.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I just don't think Maurice is comfortable enough to start doing serious tinkering with the lineup. Once he gets his system in place we'll see more movement.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Enstrom/Bogo
Coburn/Trouba
Stuart/Ellerby,Redmond

I like this, except Stuart is a UFA and Clitsome is under contract. I like a Clitsome-Ell/Redmond third pairing (provided Clitty fully recovers from back surgery).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad