Keaton Ellerby just got traded for a 5th rounder

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think people are more upset about signing Huskins instead of getting Ellerby. Ellerby is an upgrade to Huskins with atelast a little potential sprinkled on top.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I think people are more upset about signing Huskins instead of getting Ellerby. Ellerby is an upgrade to Huskins with atelast a little potential sprinkled on top.

The choice isn't between Ellerby and Huskins, though. It's between Huskins and a fifth round pick or just Ellerby. I don't know anything about Ellerby myself, but considering that the guy who should know him best valued him less than just the fifth rounder alone, I'm not particularly impressed.
No

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
People throwing fits over nothing. When our blue line is healthy, both Huskins and Ellerby become redundant anyway. But at least one came for free and he's reliable as a 7th guy.

As for Ellerby _maybe_ becoming something more than he is right now, I believe that's a project the Wings are not interested in. Wings need a shot in the arm now. In three years we have our own guys playing back there.

HTT3*

Yes he likes. And that traded guy is now our plusminus leader, blocked shots leader and 2nd most important penalty killer. :)

What a waste of a roster spot :sarcasm:

How Quincey is still the whipping boy is beyond me. :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What a waste of a roster spot :sarcasm:

How Quincey is still the whipping boy is beyond me. :laugh:

I wasn't even blaming Quincey for anything...

Henkka just brought up the instances where Holland does a nice job of managing assets, which he does, I was just saying it was stupid to let him walk and trade a 1st to get him back. Doesn't really make him look all that smart in just that scenario.

HTT3*

Quincey had the second most mins on defense in the 4-1 loss to Calgary.
Quincey had the least mins - less than Kindl! - in the 5-1 win @ St. Louis
Quincey had the least mins - less than Kindl and Lashoff - in today's 2-1 win.

Could be a coincidence I guess. ;)

Yup, Now lets look at how many games Kronwall was on the ice for goals against. Simple answer is pretty much all of them. Whenever the other team scores, Kronwall is right there with a "oh *****, I just screwed up" look on his face.

Kronwall -3
Quincey +6

coincidence ?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yup, Now lets look at how many games Kronwall was on the ice for goals against. Simple answer is pretty much all of them. Whenever the other team scores, Kronwall is right there with a "oh *****, I just screwed up" look on his face.

Kronwall -3
Quincey +6

coincidence ?

Hey I've been critical of Kronwall just like I've been critical of Quincey. Kronner led the team in TOI in 2 of those 3 games and scored the GWG today. At least he can contribute on the power play. Quincey's just a train wreck.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Kronwall -3
Quincey +6

coincidence ?

+/- within 10 of even either way isn't indicative of very much, especially this early in a season. Not saying Kronwall has been very good, but saying Quincey has been good is a laugh.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Statistically Niklas Kronwall has really been the absolute worst defenceman at the start of the season.

Highest GAA per ES minutes
Highest GAA per SH minutes
Highest penalty taking ratio per ES+SH minutes
He doesn't hit very much compared to other Wings dmen
Average shot blocker compared to other Wings dmen
2nd worst giveaway/takeaway ratio after Kindl
Most missed shots of defencemen (16) and 2nd worst missed/on_goal -ratio (47% shots missed) after White (50%)

Just horrible. I don't know what's wrong in him, it looks like he just tries to do too much to be that "Lidström" there. Hopefully that first goal of the season will cool him down a bit.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hey I've been critical of Kronwall just like I've been critical of Quincey. Kronner led the team in TOI in 2 of those 3 games and scored the GWG today. At least he can contribute on the power play. Quincey's just a train wreck.

Quincey has been better. And I'm sure he could contribute more on the PP, given the chance. Glad Kronwall got the goal today. But he's been pretty bad on the PP this year keeping pucks in the zone and actually hitting the net.

HTT3*

Hope he's leading the defense in icetime, he's only the most highest paid defenseman on the team. Babcock is trying to make him earn that MASSIVE contract. How many goals does Justin Schultz have? If you are not going to play defense or block shots, then you should have more than 1 goal by now.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Statistically Niklas Kronwall has really been the absolute worst defenceman at the start of the season.

Highest GAA per ES minutes
Highest GAA per SH minutes
Highest penalty taking ratio per ES+SH minutes
He doesn't hit very much compared to other Wings dmen
Average shot blocker compared to other Wings dmen
2nd worst giveaway/takeaway ratio after Kindl
Most missed shots of defencemen (16) and 2nd worst missed/on_goal -ratio (47% shots missed) after White (50%)

Just horrible. I don't know what's wrong in him, it looks like he just tries to do too much to be that "Lidström" there. Hopefully that first goal of the season will cool him down a bit.

You know how players like Datsyuk and Lidstrom cans "see" the game defensively? Their brains are flying and can see a few plays ahead and anticipate what the opposing player is going to do before the player even knows. They see how all the pieces fit together and know where they need to be to be the most effective.

Anyway, Kronwall thinks he can do that too.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Hope he's leading the defense in icetime, he's only the most highest paid defenseman on the team. Babcock is trying to make him earn that MASSIVE contract. How many goals does Justin Schultz have? If you are not going to play defense or block shots, then you should have more than 1 goal by now.

Like I said above, I've been critical of both and they deserve to have their minutes cut. Sorry that hurts your feelings. I was also the first person to push for us to sign Schultz. Happy?

RedWingsNow*

People throwing fits over nothing. When our blue line is healthy, both Huskins and Ellerby become redundant anyway. But at least one came for free and he's reliable as a 7th guy.

As for Ellerby _maybe_ becoming something more than he is right now, I believe that's a project the Wings are not interested in. Wings need a shot in the arm now. In three years we have our own guys playing back there.

Does it make you feel good to pretend people are throwing a fit?

Why to apologists constantly smear anyone who criticizes the Red Wings of "throwing a fit" or "over reacting?"

So some people think Holland should have gotten Ellerby, I don't see it. But whatever.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Quincey has played fine recently.

He's better for sure. But I still wouldn't call it fine. He's been getting his minutes reduced so it's lowering the amount of time he has out there to suck.

I think what you're seeing is the return of Big E, who has I think, been far and away our most dependable defenseman so far this season. Kindl has stepped up, Lashoff is still steady. Haven't seen much of White to be honest. Kronwall, well. Let's hope today was the start of him turning it around.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Haven't seen much of White to be honest.

White has the lowest ES GAA on the team (with Kindl) at the moment. He has been on the ice only once when opposite team has scored. It maybe comes from easier 3rd pairing matching. White hasn't also taken a single penalty yet (when his comparable Kindl has three of them). Pretty good job.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Quincey has played fine recently.

Exactly. Another game - 3rd in a row - where he had fewer mins than Kindl or Lashoff. He's getting the lowest TOI among d-men, that seems to be what it takes to make him not look bad. Truth hurts, I wonder how Ken Holland is handling this info given he blew a first rounder on Quincey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad