Keaton Ellerby just got traded for a 5th rounder

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Too busy working on Cleary's extension. He really needs to move out a couple forwards for picks. When Helm and Sammy come back we'll have like 16 forwards.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
No but he's huge, still young, former 1st rounder with potential, playing in bad system and bad market. Unfortunately he's a left hand shot. Still... Imagine him with Ericsson, two 6'5 D's out there.

Would rather have him for a cheap 5th rounder than taking Huskins on waivers

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. This team needs established, minute eating defensemen. This kid being big is a plus, but if he can't fit the role we need he's just another body.

I would rather have the 23 year old huge former 10th overall and try to shape his game up a bit for a 5th rounder over someone like Huskins who is only a stop gap. Ellerby could develop into a top 4 dman that hits like a truck.

Florida doesnt play defensive hockey and he would still be younger than everyone on the team, he could definitely be developed

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Holland will be tied up for a few days working on a new contract for Cleary after he scored a goal last night.

crashman

Tallon may have have given out some bad contracts in his day, but he knows how to evaluate talent. Ellerby must not be much of a player.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tallon may have have given out some bad contracts in his day, but he knows how to evaluate talent. Ellerby must not be much of a player.

Heard the biggest knock on Ellerby making it is hockey sense. Too many ill-advised penalties and decision making can be off.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Tallon may have have given out some bad contracts in his day, but he knows how to evaluate talent.

I don't think this has much to do with evaluation. He mismanaged his contract slots and had plenty of time to manage the injuries and Kulikov situation. He never should have been in a position where he would have to give up a dman that would fit in the top 8 on most rosters right now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ellerby's taken 3 more minors than Quincey this year :yo:

While I looked that up, I saw that Quincey is +6 for the year(how the hell did that happen?).

No idea. But it goes to show how much of a crapshoot +/- can be in a small sample size or in general.

There is no way anyone who has watched Quincey play for the Wings this year and last year would characterize his play as justifying that +6 rating.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
We couldve gotten Ellerby for a 4th then... Holland is losing his touch...

We have more than enough Ellerby's. The only time this trade would have made any sense was right before the Wings signed Huskins.

Why trade any pick for a guy that is only going to play until players come back from injury. Then be cut loose at the end of the year?

Other than being big there is nothing about Ellerby that would put him in our top 8 defenceman.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If we are involved in crappy player for draft pick trades, I'd rather we be getting the draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad