Keaton Ellerby just got traded for a 5th rounder

Aug 6, 2012
I think you guys are overrating Ellerby just because of his draft status. The guys hasn't turned into anything and probably would be in the Kindl situation where he's never going to crack the lineup.

And for those mentioning Quincey's +6. Call me crazy but he's been one of our better defenders recently. He'll have his boneheaded plays but he's at least been solid the past few games.

HTT3*

If we are involved in crappy player for draft pick trades, I'd rather we be getting the draft pick.

Amazing people are mad at Holland for "not trying" to land a 8th dman that can't even crack the lineup on his team. Especially when the 2013 draft is suppose to be amazing. Holland would be better off using that pick to acquire another Ouellet, Sproul, or Mrazek type impact player.

Trading a 5th for this kid would be like swapping Mrzakek straight up for him. If Holland traded Mrazek for a fringe nobody, HF DRWs fans would have an epic melt down, the servers would crash!

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Amazing people are mad at Holland for "not trying" to land a 8th dman that can't even crack the lineup on his team. Especially when the 2013 draft is suppose to be amazing. Holland would be better off using that pick to acquire another Ouellet, Sproul, or Mrazek type impact player.

Trading a 5th for this kid would be like swapping Mrzakek straight up for him. If Holland traded Mrazek for a fringe nobody, HF DRWs fans would have an epic melt down, the servers would crash!

Yep. I'd trade Mursak for him though, then Kopitar could have a countryman to play chess with.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Look, if we could just stock ourselves with enough #8 defensemen, I think we'd be set.

I mean, it's simple math here: two #8 defensemen would equal one #4 defeneseman, right? Three #8 defensemen would equal a #3 and four #8 defenseman would be a solid #2. And that's not even taking into account synergy. The math starts getting complicated when you have things like two #7s and a #8.

Then only problem is fitting them all into the same uniform and deciding which number to give them.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
My assumption is that Holland views Kindl and Lashoff higher than the guy, and Huskins as well. He probably looks at the defense as needing a real, legitimate top 4 guy (or someone he views as a top 4 guy... Quincey :cry:) , and not Ellerby. He just doesn't have room for Ellerby without sending Lashoff down. It's just one more contract he doesn't need.

I don't know. I would have pulled the trigger on a trade like this. Helps Detroit's depth situation on D, and would probably give Grand Rapids another player (from Detroit). Plus, the guy is huge and he was a top pick... could be much better than he looks right now. Maybe he'll turn into something good in LA.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If he was traded for a 5th rounder, and other teams didn't offer more, he's not that good.

HTT3*

My assumption is that Holland views Kindl and Lashoff higher than the guy, and Huskins as well. He probably looks at the defense as needing a real, legitimate top 4 guy (or someone he views as a top 4 guy... Quincey :cry:) , and not Ellerby. He just doesn't have room for Ellerby without sending Lashoff down. It's just one more contract he doesn't need.

I don't know. I would have pulled the trigger on a trade like this. Helps Detroit's depth situation on D, and would probably give Grand Rapids another player (from Detroit). Plus, the guy is huge and he was a top pick... could be much better than he looks right now. Maybe he'll turn into something good in LA.

Would you trade Petr Mrazek straight across for him? I sure the hell wouldn't. This upcoming draft is suppose to be amazing, so perhaps we would be trading a Sproul or an Ouelette for him.

Ask yourself, would you trade any of the below players straight across for him?:

Sproul
Ouelette
Mrazek

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You know how we have too many bottom 6 forwards clogging up the system?

Yeah. Add Ellerby and now you've done the same thing to the blueline with #7 D.

Anchor Town*

While I looked that up, I saw that Quincey is +6 for the year(how the hell did that happen?).

Because the Wings are one of the best teams in the NHL 5 on 5 this year...

Detroit is +7 even strength this year, it's our special teams that are killing us

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
How did I know this thread would show up. Why? Because we have Ericsson, Huskins, Kronwall, Quincey, Kindl, Smith, Ian White, and Carlo Colaiacovo. We don't need a 9th defenseman.

RedWingsNow*

I don't see the real advantage in taking a chance on another unproven defenseman considering our defense is full of suspect defensemen

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ken Holland likes to sign those former 1st round picks like Colaiacovo, Cleary, Modano, Eaves, Salei, Bertuzzi (second coming) for free, and not trade for them.

He also likes to keep those 5th rounders, and get players like Petr Mrazek, Nick Jensen and Darren Helm with those picks.

Stupid man.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Ken Holland likes to sign those former 1st round picks like Colaiacovo, Cleary, Modano, Eaves, Salei, Bertuzzi (second coming) for free, and not trade for them.

He also likes to keep those 5th rounders, and get players like Petr Mrazek, Nick Jensen and Darren Helm with those picks.

Stupid man.

Or Julien Cayer's, Randy Cameron's, Johan Ryno's, Jeff May's, Sergei Kolosov's, Tyler Haskins, Ryan Oulahen's, Logan Koopman's, Andreas Jämtin's.... and I could go on and on... more likely than not, 5th rounders are ****.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Or Julien Cayer's, Randy Cameron's, Johan Ryno's, Jeff May's, Sergei Kolosov's, Tyler Haskins, Ryan Oulahen's, Logan Koopman's, Andreas Jämtin's.... and I could go on and on... more likely than not, 5th rounders are ****.

And Keaton Ellerby is what? ****?

Ellerby is nothing more than Kent Huskins is. Holland got Huskins for free and didn't lose a draft pick. He is such a stupid man, absolutely the worst GM in the league. :help:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
And Keaton Ellerby is what? ****?

Ellerby is nothing more than Kent Huskins is. Holland got Huskins for free and didn't lose a draft pick. He is such a stupid man, absolutely the worst GM in the league. :help:

oh come on,

all you're doing here is looking at the good moves as brillant(drafting mrazek with a 5th rounder) which completely ignoring the other side(wasting a 5th rounder on(jeff may).

Ellerby isnt a star or stud dman, but he is the exact type of low low risk(a 5th rounder 99 times out of 100 is a low risk) that KH can afford to take. He is a big body who could very well be "turned around in detroit" like others before him have and a be solid young stay at home dman. I mean maybe he is a bum and wont ammount to anything ever but it would be worthwhile to find out when the cost is nothing

and please I dont want to hear anyone say yah but if we trade a 5th rounder for a guy like Ellerby we wouldnt be able to draft a guy like Mrazek without first preposition it by saying I cant believe we traded away a 19th overall pick for Quincey when we could have kept that pick and drafted a Claude Giroux...

what ifs and maybes are just that...

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Stupid man.

He also likes to trade away 1st round picks to get back a 4th round pick he let walk for free ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad