Trade: [KC/LAR] Marcus Peters traded to the Rams

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For that to be the case for a top 10 CB (maybe top 5), teams must've been really scared off by off the field stuff. His next contract could play a role in little interest as well.

He is entering year 4 of his rookie deal. So cap hit is low. Rams will certainly elect to exercise the 5th year option. So they have him for the next 2 years before gurley gets his next deal and Goff gets his 5th year picks up, and seeing that bortles 5th year cost the jags $19 million, Goff should get $20 million at least given its an average of the top 20 at your position and seeing these QB deals lately, it will be a big number.

Talent wise and contract wise, KC should get a good return. Rams has no #2 pick. So, could KC not get back a #1 for Peters? Are they taking a #3 and other picks in 2019?

I would have expected a #1 in return. But if they are talking picks in multiple, starts to sound like no #1 coming back.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Sounds like it will be a 3rd this year and another day 2 or 3 pick in 2019.
Which is hilariously undervalued. They'd be better off keeping him and losing him for nothing in 2 years. This is seriously going to be one of the worst trades of all time.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If this was only going to result in picks coming the starting price needed to be 2 firsts. If I was the rest of the NFC West I'd be pissed at the Chiefs right now.

Or Seattle, SF, AZ could have made a trade for him.

SF still has a #2 pick to deal. So does AZ. SEA doesn't have day 2 picks. Likely to be trading down in round 1 to get more.

Surprised Seattle wasn't in on peters, but given the return was draft picks likely they don't have the ammo. They aren't afraid to take on guys that don't always tow the team line.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

SF still has a #2 pick to deal. So does AZ. SEA doesn't have day 2 picks. Likely to be trading down in round 1 to get more.

Surprised Seattle wasn't in on peters, but given the return was draft picks likely they don't have the ammo. They aren't afraid to take on guys that don't always tow the team line.

SEA would have made sense if they cut Sherman but I think they'll let him finish his contract and let him go next year. & like you said, they don't have many picks.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think that’s a little hyperbolic.
Peters is on a hall of fame track and the best they could do is a 3rd and 2nd? They'd have gotten a 3rd round pick for losing him to free agency anyways, so it's really just a 2nd.

For a team that is supposedly trying to win a Super Bowl this is an extremely stupid move.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Peters is on a hall of fame track and the best they could do is a 3rd and 2nd? They'd have gotten a 3rd round pick for losing him to free agency anyways, so it's really just a 2nd.

For a team that is supposedly trying to win a Super Bowl this is an extremely stupid move.
I mean, Randy Moss returned a 4th. The Redskins gave up everything they had for RGIII. Steve Young returned a 2nd and a 4th. Bettis and a 3rd got a 2nd and a 4th. Faulk got a 2nd and a 5th.

I get that it's a bad trade. But let's not forget what worst of all time means.

Reactions: Voight

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The Peters trade is looking worse than all of those.

Young looked like a total bust at the time. His transformation into one of the best QBs of all time came out of nowhere.

Randy Moss was 29 years old and looked to be in serious decline and was coming off 3 mediocre seasons in a row. This is another trade that looks bad only in hindsight. Many thought Moss was finished.

Then there's RG3. This was definitely an overpayment, even at the time, but nobody would remember what the Redskins gave up had RG3's career not been ruined by injury. This is one that turned a slight overpayment into a disaster because of injury.

The Peters trade is quite obviously a disaster up front. None of those were even as close to this bad until you apply hindsight.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing you can say about Andy Reid, is that he knows when it's time for someone to leave. Very rarely got that wrong with the Eagles, Derrick Burgess would be seen as his biggest mistake, yet to be any egregious examples with the Chiefs. Peters won't be out of the league next year, but there's gotta be something to make him think that it won't be long.

Feb 24, 2017

Toe.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Rams paid a bigger price for Sammy Watkins than Marcus Peters. Why the **** did not the Chiefs not ask for a 1st rounder? How stupid can they be?

of course they asked. teams probably know/assume how big distraction he's been so they didn't get one. it's not like teams were lining up to trade for him, that should tell something.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One thing you can say about Andy Reid, is that he knows when it's time for someone to leave. Very rarely got that wrong with the Eagles, Derrick Burgess would be seen as his biggest mistake, yet to be any egregious examples with the Chiefs. Peters won't be out of the league next year, but there's gotta be something to make him think that it won't be long.

I think it has more do with Reid being tired of his bullshit and KC looking to retool while they startto build around Mahomes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad