Signing(s): Kawhi Leonard signs with the Clippers (3 years, $103 million)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That was your old prediction. You fell on the Clippers are out bandwagon.

yeah i wrote that based on all the "reports" out there it was lakers vs. raptors

never said there was zero chance he ends up there. i know not to underestimate west

Reactions: Voight

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kahwi was always going to return to California. That’s where he’s from.

However, the obsessive Canadian media and its stalker fans, didn’t help in convincing him to stay. At one point they stalked him on his vacation after the parade, and then stalked his flights from LA to Toronto. All this, for a guy that is very private and low key.
The "stalking" had nothing to do with it. If it did, he wouldn't have signed with the Clippers because they sent a representative from their personnel to *literally* every single game Kawhi played this year.

That is taking it to a whole 'nother level.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I never, ever considered the Lakers as serious contenders for Kawhi. Maybe it will come out that they were, but I always had it between the Clippers and Raptors. In the end, home won out over everything else.

Toronto has nothing to be upset about, either. Dude could have taken it easy, played soft to wait until he was a UFA and make his move to Los Angeles. Instead, he played his ****ing heart out for the Raptors and got that franchise a championship. He'll forever be loved in Toronto.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The "stalking" had nothing to do with it. If it did, he wouldn't have signed with the Clippers because they sent a representative from their personnel to *literally* every single game Kawhi played this year.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I never, ever considered the Lakers as serious contenders for Kawhi. Maybe it will come out that they were, but I always had it between the Clippers and Raptors. In the end, home won out over everything else.

Toronto has nothing to be upset about, either. Dude could have taken it easy, played soft to wait until he was a UFA and make his move to Los Angeles. Instead, he played his ****ing heart out for the Raptors and got that franchise a championship. He'll forever be loved in Toronto.

seems like this whole waiting game was kawhi scheming with the clippers to see if they could acquire PG and if they couldn't he would have stayed in toronto

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019

The Clipper’s were doing their job, teams always try to recruit players.

But when the cringeworthy mayor of Toronto begs an NBA superstar to stay, it just comes off as weak and annoying. What self respecting person would want anything to do with that kind of loser behaviour. The mayor should actually mind his own business, and take care of political affairs. Simply saluting Kahwi and the Raptors would’ve been the appropriate thing.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Clipper’s were doing their job, teams always try to recruit players.

But when the cringeworthy mayor of Toronto begs an NBA superstar to stay, it just comes off as weak and annoying. What self respecting person would want anything to do with that kind of loser behaviour. The mayor should actually mind his own business, and take care of political affairs. Simply saluting Kahwi and the Raptors would’ve been the appropriate thing.
Self-respecting person? Weak and annoying?

The Clippers followed Kawhi Leonard to every single city across the country just to let him know "hey, we're here!"

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that the Clippers are just doing their job, but then say that the Mayor of Toronto - who by the way, asked fans to give Kawhi Leonard his space - isn't trying to help the Toronto Raptors do their job and keep their superstar.

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019
Self-respecting person? Weak and annoying?

The Clippers followed Kawhi Leonard to every single city across the country just to let him know "hey, we're here!"

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that the Clippers are just doing their job, but then say that the Mayor of Toronto - who by the way, asked fans to give Kawhi Leonard his space - isn't trying to help the Toronto Raptors do their job and keep their superstar.

You can’t equate the Clippers to a politician.

The Clippers were doing their job by courting a coveted player. It’s their business.

It’s not the business of a politician to interfere with sports, and then subsequently entice the media and fans to harass Kahwi by stalking his every move, such as which flights he was boarding to LA and then reporting it publicly like a bunch of tools.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You can’t equate the Clippers to a politician.

The Clippers were doing their job by courting a coveted player. It’s their business.

It’s not the business of a politician to interfere with sports, and then subsequently entice the media and fans to harass Kahwi by stalking his every move, such as which flights he was boarding to LA and then reporting it publicly like a bunch of tools.
No, "courting" a player occurs during the offseason when you are allowed to court a player.

The Clippers were flat out stalking Kawhi Leonard and his every move by following him to every single game that he played, just to let him know they were there and that they were watching and want him.

It worked, yes, but don't try to pin the blame for Kawhi leaving on "stalking", because the Clippers did that for an entire season.

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019
No, "courting" a player occurs during the offseason when you are allowed to court a player.

The Clippers were flat out stalking Kawhi Leonard and his every move by following him to every single game that he played, just to let him know they were there and that they were watching and want him.

It worked, yes, but don't try to pin the blame for Kawhi leaving on "stalking", because the Clippers did that for an entire season.

Clippers were courting Kawhi. Toronto media and fans were harassing Kawhi. Big difference, which obviously led to his decision.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
wouldn't surprise me at all if jerry west purposely dragged this along to try and hurt the lakers in free agency

he'll forever be salty about how the lakers chose phil over him and how they didn't bring him back when they had the chance a year or two ago

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Sometimes I hate to be right...but big names just don't want to play in Toronto...to them it is a village.

Don't @ me it just the truth

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Good for him but feel bad for Raptors fans. If they had known this sooner perhaps they could have f
Tried to aquire a big name in free agency. The domino effect starts I guess, but at least they have a championship out of it. Toronto is like the Winnipeg of the NBA sadly. Very hard to lure a certain type of demographic to come play North of the border.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Raptors had no cap space, they could not have acquired anything. There are some things they could do after this Paul George trade though. I think OKC is going to be looking to trade Westbrook and cut salary on Adams if at all possible. Maybe in the same trade.

I'm not sure someone would take both, but I could see it.

Sometimes I hate to be right...but big names just don't want to play in Toronto...to them it is a village.

Kawhi Leonard is from Compton, moved to Riverside, he wanted to play here. It had nothing to do with Toronto. I'm a Lakers fan, but I think any Lakers fan could have told you he wasn't staying in Toronto.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
wouldn't surprise me at all if jerry west purposely dragged this along to try and hurt the lakers in free agency

he'll forever be salty about how the lakers chose phil over him and how they didn't bring him back when they had the chance a year or two ago

Jerry West did it with the Warriors, he will do it with the Clippers.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
The Raptors had no cap space, they could not have acquired anything. There are some things they could do after this Paul George trade though. I think OKC is going to be looking to trade Westbrook and cut salary on Adams if at all possible. Maybe in the same trade.

I'm not sure someone would take both, but I could see it.

Kawhi Leonard is from Compton, moved to Riverside, he wanted to play here. It had nothing to do with Toronto. I'm a Lakers fan, but I think any Lakers fan could have told you he wasn't staying in Toronto.

Probably had a bunch to do with Toronto

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Probably had a bunch to do with Toronto

Everything to do with someone from here wanting to play here. I'm from here and wouldn't want to play in Toronto or anywhere else if two LA teams wanted me. You probably hate Toronto for some goofy reason though, it doesn't matter to me.

I would want to play in front of all my family and friends, period.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris

Yea. It’s because most NBA players are stupid.

Don’t @ me it just the truth

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Everything to do with someone from here wanting to play here. I'm from here and wouldn't want to play in Toronto or anywhere else if two LA teams wanted me. You probably hate Toronto for some goofy reason though, it doesn't matter to me.

I would want to play in front of all my family and friends, period.

Just going by history they all leave.

It is small market to them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad