Post-Game Talk: Kasual Kev not even playing casually loses 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody talks about secondary scoring, but the 'Nucks fortunes start and end with the Sedins and their linemate....and the problem is that the Sedins aren't point a game players any more....good every fifth or sixth game....just looked like they were skating in quicksand tonight....thing I've also noticed this year is the dismal Canucks team speed.....can't really handle quick transition teams and their blueline can't move the puck fast enough....'Nucks will win their share of games but in the end they'll qualify for the Darryl Sutter, Calgary Flames award...a veteran team just good enough to miss the top eight, wrecking their draft position.:rant:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The secondary players are really struggling right now (for the most part).

I would say it's the highest paid veteran players that are the biggest issue right now. Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Bieksa aren't good enough and you live and die with your top guys in this league. If these 4 don't come around, this team is sunk. It won't matter what the secondary players do if these guys can't be impact players.

Thought the 2nd line definitely looked more dangerous once Vey replaced Burrows. Vey has been one of very few bright spots of late and is showing well for a rookie. Good progression over the course of the season this far.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's put himself in the position to have to do it, so he's left with a dilemma. Fix the most glaring hole on the team now, or preserve the team's future. I would hope he chooses the latter.

It's feasible to do both. If we're trading that first for someone like Yandle, then he'll become a piece that helps our core last. I also do not think guys like Petry will cost a first.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just got back from the game...
My thoughts..

Worst game I've seen Tanev play... He killed any and everything when the puck went in his direction. Poor play after unlucky play after decent defensive positioning play after poor play.

Hansen good.. Dorsett decent.. Horvat needs to do Something.. He's just.... There. Was happy to see him take Richardson's spot on the PK when Richardson was in the box... And he did well there at least... But 5-on-5... Next to nothing from him.

2nd line had some flash chances.. Higgens with one of his better games where the puck followed him... But as a line - next to no sustained pressure whatsoever..

Bieksa's final play.... Aaaaahhhh! Well... I'm sure you all felt the same about that one.

1st line was the only one that looked like it had a chance... Only line able to have zone time.

Lacks goal against was a punch in the gut. We just had a breakaway the other way and they come down and... Punch in the gut. Killed the crowd, killed the team's energy, killed everything... And team didn't recover for the rest of the period. Stars took it to us the rest of the period.
He didn't lose the game for us... But it exemplifies that x factor difference between Lack and Miler... And that's how the team plays in front of each goalie..
How many odd man rushes did we I've up today? 1? I mean that's great... But D was completely timid, pinches could counted on 1 or 2 hands... And offensive zone time took a massive hit tonight.

The good.... Seguin-Benn were just as discombobulated as the rest of our team tonight.. Mad props to Edler for that... Great game from him. But for as much as Tanev has helped solidify him as our #1 defensive stud... He's killed his offense. Tavnev is that bad with the puck on the offensive side of the redline.

Our team forced the breakup of Benn-Spezza-Seguin. Their team had nothing going at all.... Till the goal.

Frustrating game... Ahg..

Anyways...............

Maybe because I was comped tickets to this one... I've paid for the game on Sat... Hoping for a better result.

Cheers, y'all

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, the timing on that goal was a real back-breaker. Just the worst time to let in a goal like that. All those chances and then they score a crappy goal and the ice was tilted the rest of the period. Outshot 17-4 in the second. Disappointing but it happens; at least he didn't let it get to him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would say it's the highest paid veteran players that are the biggest issue right now.

Nah. In this game, the top line sawed off their minutes with the Benn-Seguin-Spezza line. Edler-Tanev played half the game. Dead even with their opponents. That doesn't scream "top guys didn't do their part". It was the lack of push from the depth that was concerning. The way was clear for the depth to do damage. They just... Didn't.

2nd pairing also not good enough... Again.

Thought the 2nd line definitely looked more dangerous once Vey replaced Burrows. Vey has been one of very few bright spots of late and is showing well for a rookie. Good progression over the course of the season this far.

Vey looked better when playing with Bonino. Essentially, with other skilled players. Far more viable there than battling bottom6 forwards at ES, IMO. Any way to make that 2nd line work, I'm open to it.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Team lacks so much finish, what a sweet system with no talent to make it run.

hope to god benning knows the sedins are almost over the hill and doesnt trade our 1st this yr, i may not be able to handle trading our 1st this year if missi g the playoffs is possible

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's feasible to do both. If we're trading that first for someone like Yandle, then he'll become a piece that helps our core last. I also do not think guys like Petry will cost a first.

I just don't believe a 1st should be on the table. Even for a guy like Yandle. Organizationally speaking, this team needs a push from it's amateur ranks. Trading 1sts hinders that.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Team lacks so much finish, what a sweet system with no talent to make it run.

hope to god benning knows the sedins are almost over the hill and doesnt trade our 1st this yr, i may not be able to handle trading our 1st this year if missi g the playoffs is possible

is he talking about trading the 1st or is this all speculation on our part?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Benning has to do it because he has to complete his vision for the defense. Something he left hanging by not procuring an upgrade.

He's got an uphill task ahead of him. Going to cost some good futures.

You're saying he has to put his 1st Rd pick in play because he decided to re-allocate cap space from the defense to other areas of the team? I don't see the connection...

I would be willing to bet he's looking for an upgrade. Doesn't mean he has to move his 1st Rd pick to do it. Based on what we've seen thus far, he seems more interested in adding picks and prospects than he is dealing them.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I just don't believe a 1st should be on the table. Even for a guy like Yandle. Organizationally speaking, this team needs a push from it's amateur ranks. Trading 1sts hinders that.

Imagine if we had traded our first for someone instead of drafting Gaunce, Jensen, etc. It's a risk for sure but I don't think it's productive to make it untouchable.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would be willing to bet he's looking for an upgrade... Based on what we've seen thus far, he seems more interested in adding picks and prospects than he is dealing them.

Never said anything about moving the 1st. I said he has to upgrade the defense he downgraded. And I'm wondering how he does it without getting that RHD PPQB. A player that should cost a 1st+... Tall order.

Based on what I've seen, he's dealt more picks than he's added...

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Nah. In this game, the top line sawed off their minutes with the Benn-Seguin-Spezza line. Edler-Tanev played half the game. Dead even with their opponents. That doesn't scream "top guys didn't do their part". It was the lack of push from the depth that was concerning. The way was clear for the depth to do damage. They just... Didn't.

2nd pairing also not good enough... Again.

But the Sedins also had close to 6:00 of PP time and converted nothing. Both finishing minus 1.

As you alluded to, Bieksa not good enough, again.

Burrows demoted from the top 6 because he wasn't playing well.

The Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa were 4 of the highest 6 paid players on the ice. If they contribute nothing, this team is in tough to win games, as we saw tonight.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Never said anything about moving the 1st. I said he has to upgrade the defense he downgraded. And I'm wondering how he does it without getting that RHD PPQB. A player that should cost a 1st+... Tall order.

Here we go again..... :rolleyes:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Imagine if we had traded our first for someone instead of drafting Gaunce, Jensen, etc. It's a risk for sure but I don't think it's productive to make it untouchable.

Realistically speaking, the "someone" would have to be a massive addition to trade it. Could happen? Yes. Likely to happen? No. Odds are you're getting someone with questions about his game. A non-core asset. Therefore, I would say a 1st should be off the table in a deep draft - all things considered.

Watch O'Reilly get dealt for a late 1st...lol

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

You think he's dealt more picks and prospects than he's added?

Out-

3rd Rd pick for a veteran in Dorsett

In-

1st Rd pick in for a veteran in Kesler

2nd Rd pick in for a veteran in Garrison(pick turned into a prospect)

He also dealt a pick for a prospect - wash.

We've certainly seen more picks/prospects brought in than we have going out. And when you factor in the 'value' of these picks, it's even more pronounced.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
But the Sedins also had close to 6:00 of PP time and converted nothing. Both finishing minus 1.

That's very close to a saw off. PP time included. The most expensive line on the other side was held in check by this teams top line as well. Head to head, it was very close. Which means, the fifteen had to come from the depth.

I figured VAN had better depth than DAL, and should have won that battle, but they didn't... And here we are.

The salary vs execution is a pertinent point generally, but specifically, it does not hold water in regards to this game. Particularly because they went head to head and played it even.

So I have to disagree with your assessment.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Out-

In-

We've certainly seen more picks/prospects brought in than we have going out. And when you factor in the 'value' of these picks, it's even more pronounced.

I'm counting 2 and 2. I don't see any certainly?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Out-

In-

I said picks, not picks/prospects.

In your list above, he's dealt 3 picks, brought in 2. Correct?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The salary vs execution is a pertinent point generally, but specifically, it does not hold water in regards to this game. Particularly because they went head to head and played it even.

Don't think Desjardins agrees, as he demoted Burrows.

Did you think Bieksa 'played it even'?

The Sedins didn't really 'play it even' either. They both finished a minus 1.

This game essentially came down to goaltending. Lehtonen was the better man.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, and i dont see that new core making a push either.

Good to know you can tell the future on our prospects and the future complementary players we'll have with them and the goalie we'll have and basically every deciding factor! Thank god we have you.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hate to say it, but we really ought to consider splitting them up. Daniel still has something left to offer, just not necessarily with Henrik. He refuses to shoot, which makes him a borderline liability when his center has a pass first mentality. Of course, that begs the question who replaces him. I would try...

Burrows - Henrik - Vrbata
Daniel - Bonino - Vey
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

I've been wanting to split them even dating back to when we still had Kesler. Daniel isn't a goal scorer anymore, more a playmaker at this point of his career, with flashes of being a goalscorer (See: OT GWG vs. MTL, snipe vs WSH).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad