Kassian must be traded

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Cheaper as in who? Kassian comfortably leads this sad groups of forwards in hits, has more goals than Nuge and the same number of ES points as Nuge as well. He is good enough to be a bottom 6 player. He just makes a million too much. It is not Kassian's fault that he has to play on the top line ahead of Puljujarvi and Yama. Its a cap issue not a Kassian issue. Adding Keith at full cap hit has hurt us big even if he is our 2nd best Dman.
Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds combined make about half what Kassian does and both have roughly the same stats if not better. Leading the team in hits means nothing when they're little bumps that don't knock anyone off the puck.

Giving depth players money and term has never worked out. If Kassian isn't with McDavid he might as well not even exist and he sure as hell doesn't belong on the top line. Rewarding this player for years of ineffective play is absolutely gross unless this is part of a pump and dump ploy by Ken/Dave.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This team needs bona fide top six winger, not a 3rd line center. We have the one in RNH. However, Kassian needs to go in that trade to make a room in 5he cap space for this season and especially in the next when Puljujärvi needs the new contract.

1st round pick needs to be moved out. I would consider 1st + Kassian for Kessel and the Late round pick

Your wrong. The team needs a 3C. We get lots of goals in the top 6 right now. We cant piss a drop in the bottom 6. So teams can clog it up on the top 6 knowing they dont risk anything from our bottom 6.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds combined make about half what Kassian does and both have roughly the same stats if not better. Leading the team in hits means nothing when they're little bumps that don't knock anyone off the puck.

Giving depth players money and term has never worked out. If Kassian isn't with McDavid he might as well not even exist and he sure as hell doesn't belong on the top line. Rewarding this player for years of ineffective play is absolutely gross unless this is part of a pump and dump ploy by Ken/Dave.
Kassian is much faster than both and Spezza would likely have wanted 4M+ to play in Alberta. Simmonds is damaged goods now especially as a top 6 player. Kassian isnt getting rewarded. Puljujarvi and Yama playing like Kahun and Reider is the main reason Kassian is playing in top 6.
Your basic argument seems to be Kassian making the 1M too much... whoop d doo.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Your wrong. The team needs a 3C. We get lots of goals in the top 6 right now. We cant piss a drop in the bottom 6. So teams can clog it up on the top 6 knowing they dont risk anything from our bottom 6.
Maybe try the wonderboy Nuge as 3C when we are all healthy especially if you are playing Kassain in top 6.

3rd line of McLeod-Nuge-Yama/Puljujarvi would be pretty good.

Reactions: Broilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kassian is much faster than both and Spezza would likely have wanted 4M+ to play in Alberta. Simmonds is damaged goods now especially as a top 6 player. Kassian isnt getting rewarded. Puljujarvi and Yama playing like Kahun and Reider is the main reason Kassian is playing in top 6.
Your basic argument seems to be Kassian making the 1M too much... whoop d doo.
Man if JP and Yama are playing like those players Kassian is playing like JF Jacques.

My basic argument is that Kassian was rewarded a fat contract for a few weeks of good play stapled alongside the best player on the planet and unsurprisingly when separated from McDavid he turned back into the complete ghost he's been for the last 3 years. My basic argument is that the Oilers tend to overpay depth players and little by little that adds up and turns into either eventual buyouts or trading it for another bad contract (See: Lucic). My basic argument is that the Oilers bottom six gets routinely caved in every time they step onto the ice and Kassian is very much a part of that and has been for the past few years. If he's leading the team in hits that means he doesn't have the puck very often. And generally when you don't have the puck you tend to be defending in your own zone. And when you're defending in your own zone you're not scoring. And that's not even getting into the braindead penalties (like last game).

Playing Kassian in the top 6 is absolutely silly. He has done nothing to deserve a promotion in the lineup.

Reactions: Broilers

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Coach needs to go first in my opinion
An acceptable opinion to have, but expecting any coach to turn Kass around is folly, the guy is and always has been inconsistent, he's seen many a coach and I haven't seen one able to get 2 consecutive good seasons out of him. To me he seems to play his best & most complete hockey on contract years.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
An acceptable opinion to have, but expecting any coach to turn Kass around is folly, the guy is and always has been inconsistent, he's seen many a coach and I haven't seen one able to get 2 consecutive good seasons out of him. To me he seems to play his best & most complete hockey on contract years.

Bang on
Torres was his same old inconsistent self after he was traded (for Brule I might add:thumbd:)
A coach didn’t magically make him play to his potential every night
People bitching must be to drunk or don’t actually pay attention and complain cause the goals and assists column says 0

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I always get a chuckle out of how laser focused on Kassian some people are.

There's usually about 9 other forwards that are just as bad or worse on a nightly basis. Trading Kassian isn't going to magically fix the team.
Trading Kassian and adding a competent (experienced) 3C would do wonders for this team. The only hole left would be a top 6 RW.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Have we really ever had a proper 3C to be able to say that?

FWIW I’m on board with replacing Tippett but it’s not like he’s had world beaters to play there.

I just look at how Foegele fared. He was billed as a great third liner and he looked like it for about four games. Then the Tippettitis set in and now he's got one goal and a bazillion goals against in his last 22 games.

I don't think any player is going to turn that bottom six around. Turfing Tippett is the only way it improves.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I just look at how Foegele fared. He was billed as a great third liner and he looked like it for about four games. Then the Tippettitis set in and now he's got one goal and a bazillion goals against in his last 22 games.

I don't think any player is going to turn that bottom six around. Turfing Tippett is the only way it improves.
It’s a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Does the bottom 6 suck because they don’t get enough minutes and opportunities to contribute? Or do they not get minutes and opportunities because they suck?

Im thinking it’s a bit of both - I definitely feel like if we had gotten Getzlaf signed in the offseason our bottom 6 results would be different right now. Not to say that they would be extraordinary, but at least serviceable.

And by my eye Foegele is still easily the best player in our bottom 6. It’s unfortunate that really the only guys who belong there are McLeod, who should probably be on the 4th line, Sceviour (likewise) and McLovin.

Kassian and Ryan have been varying levels of a flaming hot mess all year (ditto for Barrie on the back end).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Trade Kassian? How much are we going to have to add to get rid of the contract?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Kahun, Chiasson, Khaira, Ennis, and Neal are all better than what we've got now.
And with the exception of maybe Kahun it seems like everyone was crying about those useless plugs being on the team. "Fire them all into the sun". Must have heard that a million times.

The reason I'm fully on board with a coaching change now is because I refuse to believe every single player we sign is bad. Every year it seems like the same thing.
"These guys all suck get them off the team, anyone would be better".

So we do. Then it becomes "Why does everyone that leaves the team seem to do better elsewhere?"

At some point given the general acknowledgement that a lot of players that come here regress and then bounce back after leaving you'd think people would stop bitching about all the sucky players we have every year. Probably because most of them don't actually suck. But that's all we ever hear all year, every year. "This guy sucks at hockey." Then when the next season starts a lot of those same people will then talk about how those sucky players that they bitched about prior would be better than all of our new sucky players. Some of the most vocal people in this fanbase are so back f***ing asswards that its hilarious.

Chiasson is such a good one this year. Guy was shat on like all the time and now I've seen him mentioned a few times as someone we should have kept or possibly reacquire.

I feel like it has to be coaching at this point because nothing else makes a lick of sense.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I always get a chuckle out of how laser focused on Kassian some people are.

There's usually about 9 other forwards that are just as bad or worse on a nightly basis. Trading Kassian isn't going to magically fix the team.
Depends on who we will get in return. The fact is that one big contract needs to be moved out. Would you trade Foegele, Barrie someone else?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
And with the exception of maybe Kahun it seems like everyone was crying about those useless plugs being on the team. "Fire them all into the sun". Must have heard that a million times.

The reason I'm fully on board with a coaching change now is because I refuse to believe every single player we sign is bad. Every year it seems like the same thing.

So we do. Then it becomes "Why does everyone that leaves the team seem to do better elsewhere?"

At some point given the general acknowledgement that a lot of players that come here regress and then bounce back after leaving you'd think people would stop bitching about all the sucky players we have every year. Probably because most of them don't actually suck. But that's all we ever hear all year, every year. "This guy sucks at hockey." Then when the next season starts a lot of those same people will then talk about how those sucky players that they bitched about prior would be better than all of our new sucky players. Some of the most vocal people in this fanbase are so back f***ing asswards that its hilarious.

Chiasson is such a good one this year. Guy was shat on like all the time and now I've seen him mentioned a few times as someone we should have kept or possibly reacquire.

I feel like it has to be coaching at this point because nothing else makes a lick of sense.

Bang on.

Has Tippett changed his system in any meaningful way since coaching the Yotes?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Not every player that leaves the Oilers has success. That's just a fallacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad