Post-Game Talk: Kassian :MIA

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's thrown some hard hits and has been skating hard since he has come back. Even got rewarded with some production. Seems like its been hard to notice for lots, without crowd reaction and the complete blindness to all things good in Oil Country by biased eastern media that won't even mention a good hit when made.

Mostly he hasn't made an impact though, but that's normal bottom 6 type stuff, they aren't supposed to / expected to make huge impacts every game otherwise he'd be a a good top 6 guy.

I still think his true value will show come play-off time. Also, pure speculation but teams like Calgary aren't running around and smashing us as much since Kass has been back in the lineup.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
meh. Kass was running around when we had Maroon and Lucic also riding saddle. He's noticeably quieter and picking his spots without anybody like that around.

In anycase that was just another limited sample instance of Zach maybe showing up for 10 games. Can't even say he played well in all those 2 playoff rounds.

Kind of a strange thing to be hanging hat on a full 4yrs later.

Really it doesn't matter what Kass was in 16-17. he is not that now.

I know you're just pointing it out though and can see both sides of this.

It sucks if there is a strong variable inhibiting a player from being an effective NHLer, but life is cruel in that way; if an extremely diligent student stops putting in the hours, they miss out on scholarships and programs that they wish to enter; if a burgeoning businessman stops finding ways to be innovative and earn money at a steady rate, that business will eventually suffer.

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's thrown some hard hits and has been skating hard since he has come back. Even got rewarded with some production. Seems like its been hard to notice for lots, without crowd reaction and the complete blindness to all things good in Oil Country by biased eastern media that won't even mention a good hit when made.

Mostly he hasn't made an impact though, but that's normal bottom 6 type stuff, they aren't supposed to / expected to make huge impacts every game otherwise he'd be a a good top 6 guy.

I still think his true value will show come play-off time. Also, pure speculation but teams like Calgary aren't running around and smashing us as much since Kass has been back in the lineup.

Like his true value showed against Chicago in the playoffs last year?

He's a complete ghost out there. Has 3 shots in 11 games since he's been back from injury. No points in his last 9. He's been a complete non factor physically too. Is barely engaged.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
After signing that 3 year deal, this guy promptly disappeared. Kassian can gtfo here anytime now.

The part that pisses me off is that he was doing the same disappearing act around the time that he was rumored to be open to be traded. We then played him with McDrai, gave him a fat new contract and then he has returned back to the player that he was when he seemingly was open to a change of scenery.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The part that pisses me off is that he was doing the same disappearing act around the time that he was rumored to be open to be traded. We then played him with McDrai, gave him a fat new contract and then he has returned back to the player that he was when he seemingly was open to a change of scenery.
There was never a reason to extend him, as his numbers even with McDavid were fairly pedestrian.

Never, ever give depth players term.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm not going to go too hard on Kassian for signing a comfy deal and reverting to the inconsistent player he's been throughout his career. He is what he is.

The real question is why Holland rushed to sign him to a bloated deal in the first place when all the signs were there that he was never going to live up to it. That's far more troubling than the deal itself IMO.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
I'm not going to go too hard on Kassian for signing a comfy deal and reverting to the inconsistent player he's been throughout his career. He is what he is.

The real question is why Holland rushed to sign him to a bloated deal in the first place when all the signs were there that he was never going to live up to it. That's far more troubling than the deal itself IMO.
Totally agree. With all this wealth of experience Holland has from over the years, he of all ppl should have known better.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad