Post-Game Talk: Kassian :MIA

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Managers need to be more weary of giving out long term deals to players with inconsistent play.
I think a new rule of thumb is to not sign 30 year olds to long terms and cap hits unless you drafted and developed them yourself. Overpaying for 30 year old UFA's doesn't seem to work out the best. Short value contracts aside of course.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Honestly, I'm not so sure about that right now. Never thought I'd say it but Lucic is playing much better than he was here.
To be clear.. I'm not a Lucic fan and was thrilled he is gone. Having said that... Lucic has always been a better player than Kassian. He's won cups, he's had 50 point season, he was a sought after free agent. Their careers are not even close to comparable. Zack had a good year on Connor's wing. Lucic had a good decade.

However, signing Lucic and trading Hall has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.lol

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think a new rule of thumb is to not sign 30 year olds to long terms and cap hits unless you drafted and developed them yourself. Overpaying for 30 year old UFA's doesn't seem to work out the best. Short value contracts aside of course.

Agreed and that's why I don't understand these people who want to sign Hall to a long term deal. It's risky and it comes at a time when the longer term financial health of the NHL (and all pro sports) is questionable.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Something really off with Kass and skating part of it. I don't think since Covid and contract he has had any incentive. My suspicion is he's not training hard offseason, not into it.

But theres something really off in despondency. Thats the exact word I would use. I won't get into what happened before the play ins more, and I can't say what I want to say here. But the word starts with an R. Its something I suspect strongly. Either he has, or he's featuring thought processes that put him at risk of it. He's not happy. Not saying this in isolation, in one video, in all of them. He's not chirping, not engaged, not having fun out there. When has anybody even seen him smile in a year?

Brady Tkachuk can't even get this guy going and he's chirping him relentlessly. Matthew drilled Kass several times this year and no response.

Another thing? CTE. Zach is a prime candidate. I think he knows it. I don't think this ends well. My sense is Kass really needs some off ice help. Hope he's getting it.
Kassian has been dogshit for 80% of the games since his playoff heroics. The only times you ever notice him are taking dumb penalties.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Agreed and that's why I don't understand these people who want to sign Hall to a long term deal. It's risky and it comes at a time when the longer term financial health of the NHL (and all pro sports) is questionable.
My dream is that we do trade for Hall and use our 1st and a cap dump (Kass, Koski or Neal - they can pick). However, I don't want Hall resigned in anyway for the money he deserves to get in UFA (I'm guessing another 6 x 6?). I wanted Hall for the original 6 x 6 but Chia messed that all up!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
since his playoff heroics
I completely agree with you but what playoff heroics?

he scored as many goals as shlepyshev in that 2016 run... 3 goals in 25 games in a decade.

upload_2021-4-11_13-37-23.png

Here is Shlep in case you thought I was trying to be funny.. I'd rather him today!

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
To have a certain amount of points is one thing to be on the third line,but he has the potential, and has proved in the past that he could be one of the best players in the whole league in regards to being hard to play against,and providing energy and leadership to inspire others to get physical and give a hard fought effort, we have seen very little of that this year.

Last edited:

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
I completely agree with you but what playoff heroics?

he scored as many goals as shlepyshev in that 2016 run... 3 goals in 25 games in a decade.

View attachment 420748

Here is Shlep in case you thought I was trying to be funny.. I'd rather him today!
His contributions during that run went beyond goals/assists. He was a wrecking ball that made the opponents butt cheeks clinch everytime he was on the ice. He was causing turnovers just by looking at guys sideways. He brought energy and the team fed off of it. Exactly what we signed him for. I'm not sure if you watched the Sharks series or not, but I suspect you didn't or you wouldn't be asking.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
My dream is that we do trade for Hall and use our 1st and a cap dump (Kass, Koski or Neal - they can pick). However, I don't want Hall resigned in anyway for the money he deserves to get in UFA (I'm guessing another 6 x 6?). I wanted Hall for the original 6 x 6 but Chia messed that all up!

I don't think any team is going to give Hall 6*6 but we shall see.

I believe that the NHL is going the same direction as MLB in that you are paid your best bucks before age 30 and then you take the smaller contracts as you inevitably decline.

Its nice to think that some team out there will take a salary dump but that 1st round pick will be a later one in a reputedly weaker draft year.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
His contributions during that run went beyond goals/assists. He was a wrecking ball that made the opponents butt cheeks clinch everytime he was on the ice. He was causing turnovers just by looking at guys sideways. He brought energy and the team fed off of it. Exactly what we signed him for. I'm not sure if you watched the Sharks series or not, but I suspect you didn't or you wouldn't be asking.
I don't miss Oil games... I also don't think professional hockey players in the NHL clinch their butt cheeks when a guy like Kassian comes at them. He's very easy to knock of his game and takes stupid penalties... just gotta piss him off and let him chase you a little. Cash in on the powerplay after! He played last night.. which Flame looked off to you because he was on the ice?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't miss Oil games... I also don't think professional hockey players in the NHL clinch their butt cheeks when a guy like Kassian comes at them. He's very easy to knock of his game and takes stupid penalties... just gotta piss him off and let him chase you a little. Cash in on the powerplay after! He played last night.. which Flame looked off to you because he was on the ice?

Nobody. Like I said earlier Brady Tkachuk was trying to chirp Kassian into a fight, anything, and nothing. Not even a hit, a glare, nothing. Drai had to respond to the several physical provocations by Brady himself, as Kass made it clear he was doing nothing and just along for the ride.

The only person Kassian is scaring right now is his head coach and GM that signed this contract. Thats the only fear factor.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh. Kass was running around when we had Maroon and Lucic also riding saddle. He's noticeably quieter and picking his spots without anybody like that around.

In anycase that was just another limited sample instance of Zach maybe showing up for 10 games. Can't even say he played well in all those 2 playoff rounds.

Kind of a strange thing to be hanging hat on a full 4yrs later.

Really it doesn't matter what Kass was in 16-17. he is not that now.

I know you're just pointing it out though and can see both sides of this.

Reactions: Czechboy

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Kassian is exactly why there should not be guaranteed contracts in the league. Signs a nice deal and just stops caring.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
meh. Kass was running around when we had Maroon and Lucic also riding saddle. He's noticeably quieter and picking his spots without anybody like that around.

In anycase that was just another limited sample instance of Zach maybe showing up for 10 games. Can't even say he played well in all those 2 playoff rounds.

Kind of a strange thing to be hanging hat on a full 4yrs later.

Really it doesn't matter what Kass was in 16-17. he is not that now.

I know you're just pointing it out though and can see both sides of this.
I was replying to the question of what use he was in that playoffs. Not 4 years later. I've stated a few times i want to see this guy gone now. If you don't think he had a big impact during that run, especially the Sharks series, I don't know what to tell you.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
L
Nobody. Like I said earlier Brady Tkachuk was trying to chirp Kassian into a fight, anything, and nothing. Not even a hit, a glare, nothing. Drai had to respond to the several physical provocations by Brady himself, as Kass made it clear he was doing nothing and just along for the ride.

The only person Kassian is scaring right now is his head coach and GM that signed this contract. Thats the only fear factor.
Lol well said. Unfortunately

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was replying to the question of what use he was in that playoffs. Not 4 years later. I've stated a few times i want to see this guy gone now. If you don't think he had a big impact during that run, especially the Sharks series, I don't know what to tell you.

He had an impact in the Sharks series. he didn't do much against the Ducks.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
After reading the mainboard thread on McDavid questioning the NHL rescheduling the game on the day of Cave's memorial.

I have lost all hope for humanity, and for some reason the same Pejorative Slurs are allowed to keep polluting that thread while other people who call them out have their posts edited.

Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
His skating isn't looking all that hot this season.
It’s not even his skating imo. He is playing passive without the puck. When it comes to him he tries. When it doesn’t, he just floats. It’s so bad at this point that he won’t even skate at a loose 50:50 puck and try to get it. Watch him when he goes off at the end of a shift. One hand on his stick skating leisurely to the bench like he’s having a laugh. It’s extremely frustrating.

I was a big fan of the way this player turned his life around and the potential dimension he added to the Oilers roster. It’s disgusting watching the way he plays now. Biggest disappointment on the team this season ainec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad