Post-Game Talk: Kassian :MIA

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
We could sure use a guy like Kassian to inject some emotion for this team when necessary. To be down 2-0 to Calgary, you would think someone should step up. 3-0 might warrant a physical hit or something in retaliation.
4-0 and watching the faces of Turtleboy,Mr hockey,Gio the ancient one, and Sam(i want a trade) Bennet sickens me. 5-0 and giving the goalie who turned us down a shut-out tears me apart,yet Kassian does -----all. I say Kassian should be a healthy scratch for a few games what do you say? Even a call up from the minors would inject some life at this point.

Last edited:

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Yeah, he has been disappointing. But at the end of the day we are comfortably a playoff team right now, even if some players have been busts this year. I'm not too concerned if we keep winning. 6-2-2 in the last ten even with a crap schedule.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A great reclamation story that is slipping into oblivion. Kassian is a pretty unique package of size, skating and nasty but the nasty/physical attribute has been MIA for more than a year. I'm sick of the excuse of this player being extraneously motivated, that he super hero like needs to draw his energy from the crowd. Kassian has largely been an empty sweater for his teammates who need the old policeman to bring energy or ... anything to contribute to the adrenaline of elevating in games and long road schedules. Being a cipher while this team battles hard miles to be in playoff positioning is not good enough for a team that bet long on contract and term on a player on NHL life support when he arrived in town. Long overdue for passenger Kassian to chop wood and carry water.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
immediately taken off McDavid's line.
He signed in January... who played on 1RW with McDavid from January to end of season? Who was on that line to start the play-in? Who started this year on 1RW?

Pretty sure Kassian is the answer to all 3 of those.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If he's not bringing it physically I don't see the point of him on a roster. He's looking like our next Lucic esque contract....maybe even worse.
Well, as bad as Kassian has been at least he can still skate. He isn’t anywhere near Lucic-level futility.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Lucic is outscoring JP this season.. and Neal.. and Kassian. I'm not saying this to say Lucic is good.
Neal got Covid and dinged up. JP isn’t putting up numbers but has played very well and his future looks bright. I don’t care how many pucks have bounced into the net of Lucic’s slow arse. Any time with Lucic on it is playing 4 on 5 any time he hits the ice and it’s only going to get worse.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lucic is outscoring JP this season.. and Neal.. and Kassian. I'm not saying this to say Lucic is good.

True, and he’d be out scoring even more if they counted his assists for the other team. And I don’t mean just a bad defensively play but literally passing to the opposing team right before they score. Lucic is a net negative, more so than Kassian.

The points will come with JP. He’s been snake bitten and has plenty of “third assists” on goals that wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for him digging out a puck or keeping a play alive

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, as bad as Kassian has been at least he can still skate. He isn’t anywhere near Lucic-level futility.

Contracts aside I would take Lucic. At least he brings physicality every game and say what you will but he is an intimidating presence. Kassian hasn't been the same since signing his contract. I hope that he is wise with his retirement contract because that is what it is if he doesn't get back to what earned him that contract in the first place. You see guys like Anderson punching McDavid in the face and crickets from our designated heavy.

Kassian, Neal and Koskinen could all be buyout candidates based on what they bring relative to their cap hits.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Contracts aside I would take Lucic. At least he brings physicality every game and say what you will but he is an intimidating presence. Kassian hasn't been the same since signing his contract. I hope that he is wise with his retirement contract because that is what it is if he doesn't get back to what earned him that contract in the first place. You see guys like Anderson punching McDavid in the face and crickets from our designated heavy.

Kassian, Neal and Koskinen could all be buyout candidates based on what they bring relative to their cap hits.

I understand your frustration but these buyouts are ugly events. Buyouts for these 3 (I realize you didn't mean all 3 at the end of this season) but if they did it:

Kosko would be on the "books" for 2 years, Neal for 4 and Kassian for 6. Yikes-- although based on performance its probably justified.

I think they'll buy out Kosko this summer, Neal next summer (maybe he can manage 1 come back season and score 10+ goals) and I don't know what you do with Kassian tbh.

At least with Turris you can bury a good chunk of his contract in the minors and there is just 1 year left on the deal.

So many of these multi year contracts are risky because you just don't know if the player views it as a retirement deal. These deals are a tough call.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He signed in January... who played on 1RW with McDavid from January to end of season? Who was on that line to start the play-in? Who started this year on 1RW?

Pretty sure Kassian is the answer to all 3 of those.

Neal and Chiasson played with McDavid for most of his minutes from January on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I understand your frustration but these buyouts are ugly events. Buyouts for these 3 (I realize you didn't mean all 3 at the end of this season) but if they did it:

Kosko would be on the "books" for 2 years, Neal for 4 and Kassian for 6. Yikes-- although based on performance its probably justified.

I think they'll buy out Kosko this summer, Neal next summer (maybe he can manage 1 come back season and score 10+ goals) and I don't know what you do with Kassian tbh.

At least with Turris you can bury a good chunk of his contract in the minors and there is just 1 year left on the deal.

So many of these multi year contracts are risky because you just don't know if the player views it as a retirement deal. These deals are a tough call.

I would probably buy out Neal and Koskinen and tell Kassian that unless he wants to be in the AHL for the rest of his contract Mark Fayne style, that he needs to do some soul searching.

Reactions: oilsplatzz

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Neal and Chiasson played with McDavid for most of his minutes from January on.

Neal is LW... I disagree that Chiason was our 1RW from January to March. It was Kass (when he wasn't serving suspensions anyways)

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Yup, you can bury a million in the AHL so Turris can just go down and no biggie. The other 3 are like you said.. they'll hurt us for awhile. We are still paying 2.25 million for 2 seasons for Lucic and Sekera starting next year.. 1.5 for Sekera and .75 for Lucic. Hoping there is another way out from those contracts because I don't want us paying 5 million to buyouts.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I would probably buy out Neal and Koskinen and tell Kassian that unless he wants to be in the AHL for the rest of his contract Mark Fayne style, that he needs to do some soul searching.

Yes I mean who would have thought that at his age Kassian would be playing on his "retirement" contract. I think he doesn't want to get banged up and is just going to pocket the cash. In fairness, there are a lot of guys like that around the league. They won the lottery with these deals so why not sit back and enjoy the cash--just human nature.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes I mean who would have thought that at this age Kassian would be playing on his "retirement" contract. I think he doesn't want to get banged up and is just going to pocket the cash. In fairness, there are a lot of guys like that around the league. They won the lottery with these deals so why not sit back and enjoy the cash--just human nature.

Managers need to be more weary of giving out long term deals to players with inconsistent play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
His skating isn't looking all that hot this season.

Something really off with Kass and skating part of it. I don't think since Covid and contract he has had any incentive. My suspicion is he's not training hard offseason, not into it.

But theres something really off in despondency. Thats the exact word I would use. I won't get into what happened before the play ins more, and I can't say what I want to say here. But the word starts with an R. Its something I suspect strongly. Either he has, or he's featuring thought processes that put him at risk of it. He's not happy. Not saying this in isolation, in one video, in all of them. He's not chirping, not engaged, not having fun out there. When has anybody even seen him smile in a year?

Brady Tkachuk can't even get this guy going and he's chirping him relentlessly. Matthew drilled Kass several times this year and no response.

Another thing? CTE. Zach is a prime candidate. I think he knows it. I don't think this ends well. My sense is Kass really needs some off ice help. Hope he's getting it.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad