WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I think you are being too casual in your interpretation of "directed at the head". The check is directed at the head since Kassian's shoulder is higher than the other player's shoulder. Even though he probably intended to hit shoulder to shoulder, he missed and the hit ended up being shoulder to chin while Kassian's ribs make contact with the other player's arm/shoulder area.

I wouldn't say the hit was shoulder to chin, that's a bit strong, since the majority of the shoulder didn't hit the chin, it was mostly at the sternum area. I still don't see how a hit can be directed at the head when he keeps his elbow down and in, shoulder tight and barely clips the chin.

It looks to me more like the hit to the chest forced Senkerik's chin into the shoulder slightly more than it would have, and by IIHF standards, any contact resulting from the principle hit as in that case isn't punishable.

Many people can attest to the fact that any contact with the chin/jaw at all at that high of a speed can turn the lights out.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
I wouldn't say the hit was shoulder to chin, that's a bit strong, since the majority of the shoulder didn't hit the chin, it was mostly at the sternum area. I still don't see how a hit can be directed at the head when he keeps his elbow down and in, shoulder tight and barely clips the chin.

It looks to me more like the hit to the chest forced Senkerik's chin into the shoulder slightly more than it would have, and by IIHF standards, any contact resulting from the principle hit as in that case isn't punishable.

Many people can attest to the fact that any contact with the chin/jaw at all at that high of a speed can turn the lights out.

With the size difference between the two players, for Kassian's shoulder to hit Senkerik's sternum, Kassian would have to either be way shorter than Senkerik or he would have had to been down in practically a sitting position. That wasn't the case.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Giving you the benefit of doubt and I'll post this again..

senkerik.jpg

That is Kassian's shoulder hitting Senkeriks head. As in, a hit to the head.

That looks like Kassian's body is hitting Senkerik's body.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
With the size difference between the two players, for Kassian's shoulder to hit Senkerik's sternum, Kassian would have to either be way shorter than Senkerik or he would have had to been down in practically a sitting position. That wasn't the case.

Are they not only 4 inches apart in height? Factor in that Kassian's skates were at an angle, which lowers his entire body, his legs were spread apart(as all hitters do for stability), he was bent at the knees and hips. Plus when you hit in hockey you naturally drop your shoulder. I'd say all that could easily account for it, especially since your sternum is about an inch from where your collarbone connects.

Senkerik wasn't exactly low in his stance either.

Edit: Senkerik is 6'0, Kassian is 6'3. We're talking 3 inches here.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
Are they not only 4 inches apart in height? Factor in that Kassian's skates were at an angle, which lowers his entire body, his legs were spread apart(as all hitters do for stability), he was bent at the knees and hips. Plus when you hit in hockey you naturally drop your shoulder. I'd say all that could easily account for it, especially since your sternum is about an inch from where your collarbone connects.

Senkerik wasn't exactly low in his stance either.

The players were equally bent over, therefore the overall size difference was maintained.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^Yeah, Craig MacTavish. I look to that guy for discussions of right and wrong.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
You are absolutely wrong.

Now go to TSN and watch the latest video clips of the hit and the follow up discussions. Dave Hodge, Bob Mackenzie as well as Craig MacTavish all disagree with you.

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/clip394325#clip394325

So I gathered they think that

Kassian "catches"(as to say clips, or glances) Senkerik's chin a bit.

His arms weren't up towards the head

Where's the disparity between what they said and I said?

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
Word is that he was doing ok after the game. Whether ok means fit to play, that probably still has to be determined by physicians and such.
According to the manager of Czech team, Senkerik sustained a small concussion and probably will be ready for the next game :handclap:

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008

Bob Mackenzie speaking of the IIHF hit to head rule; "there is absolutely no question that hit fits the criteria"

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We like having our big body dummies in Canada to take penalties and do stupid things.

Thankfully Cameron seems intent on toning down the foolishness unlike last years clown that revelled in Cormier's ********. This team does not need Kassian to win anything. Smart like dumptruck.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008

Point 1 - catches, clips, glances head. Penalty

Point 2 - Arm position is irrelevant.

I think you are superimposing your own perception of what you think is legal in hockey with what in reality the rule is.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A little bit of everything. Slightly late, slightly high, slightly blindside. Just a questionable hit in the heat of the game. I do not think it was intentional, but on the other hand it was a little reckless. Czech guy getting absolutely knocked out didn't make the scene better. I think the refs got the call right, and the automatic suspension will be it.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Bob Mackenzie speaking of the IIHF hit to head rule; "there is absolutely no question that hit fits the criteria"

3 points to make here.

1. You went from the entire panel disagreeing with me to one person.

2. Bob Mckenzie all of the sudden has an indisputable opinion? He didn't bring anything new into the conversation.

3. As for the criteria, it fits based on the net contact. But the initial contact and the area at which the contact was directed isn't to the head, neck is arguable. Mckenzie doesn't at all mention the importance of where the hit is directed.

The fact that Senkerik is expected to play in under 48 hours is a testament to the fact that the hit wasn't directed at the head, and no significant contact to the head was made.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Point 1 - catches, clips, glances head. Penalty

Point 2 - Arm position is irrelevant.

I think you are superimposing your own perception of what you think is legal in hockey with what in reality the rule is.

You took this argument back a notch. Catches, clips, glances doesn't show where the hit is directed, you continually neglect that point.

I only brought up arm position because they did, you said they disagreed with me, I showed matching points that me and the TSN analysts made.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
According to the manager of Czech team, Senkerik sustained a small concussion and probably will be ready for the next game :handclap:

I hope for his sake he doesn't play. A small concussion is no joke when talking about participating in the next game.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
You took this argument back a notch. Catches, clips, glances doesn't show where the hit is directed, you continually neglect that point.

No I did not, you aren't a very good debater. I simply responded to your points.

Same with your the previous post; all three panelists disagree with you. Bob Mackenzie's was the most direct and compelling statement and therefore I quoted it to you for a black and white statement. That doesn't mean I have backed down from my positions nor does take anything away form my previous posts. Jeeeeessssshh.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008

I only brought up arm position because they did, you said they disagreed with me, I showed matching points that me and the TSN analysts made.

Leading up to the Vancouver Olympics the IIHF released the following statement.

There is no such thing as a clean hit to the head.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He kept his hands down and the puck was in the vicinity, what more do you want? You may as well take hitting out of the game from here. The problem with the play? Dude got caught admiring his own pass.

If Scott Stevens was capable of crying, this may do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad