WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

cenas*

First, I haven't seen any of us "claim to be objective", but even if anyone has, I'm not sure that you're any *more* objective when you're citing things like "a player like Kassian". That seems pretty *subjective*, which is really not the kind of analysis you should be conducting.

Posting an un-edited picture can't be skewed by subjectivity. Its a PICTURE.

I think its reasonable to judge any player with a 20+ game suspension under his belt at age 20 or so.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Kassian was hunting there. It wasnt a head shot, but Im not a big fan of hits like that, and I think they only hurt the game in the sense that a player can get injured without either party being at fault.

Just my 2 cents on the matter

This I can agree with. The hit was unnecessary, especially considering the international rules.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010

I think its reasonable to judge any player with a 20+ game suspension under his belt at age 20 or so.

Since when is a picture of the hit after the initial contact evidence. Especially one from a backside angle?

Oh by the way, judging and subjectivity are two very similar words, you should not judge the player on his past, only on this incident.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Canada can appeal to have the misconduct revoked, so there is not a sureshot suspension here.

How long will that take? I'm thinking that if they appeal it will take longer than tonight, and Kassian will play against Norway, and if the suspension is upheld he will be out against Sweden, something Canada won't want and therefore they won't appeal. If it takes just tonight then they shoudl definately appeal so that all camera angles can be looked at and a correct conclusion can be met

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
I'm amazed you believe you can draw information on depth from a 2 dimensional picture.

That is pretty funny. The picture provides complete evidence. The head has already been impacted in that picture and is in the process of being "snapped" towards the left.

Pyke*

Really?

How about this:
collegehumor.d47c965fa95a7ef449c87aa8965d87fd.jpg

Or this:
collegehumor.8c15e05e9fb2343f882e4b2b5e6a844c.jpg

Or this:
collegehumor.8da0a1e4c472ce8292fb4398a43dc44b.jpg

When you take a 3 dimensional situation and turn it into a 2 dimensional one, you can skew what really happened.

All of those are examples of it - now, they were done intentionally - but my point is your screen capture proves nothing more than any of those do.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
Definitely not a headshot. That still photo doesn't tell the story since its not the initial contact. The tsn replay made it quite clear that this was a shoulder to chest hit.

The picture comes from the TSN replay. Clearly there is head contact and it doesn't matter beyond that.

The NHL's version of the rules are somewhat different in that initial contact and targeting of the head are looked for in determining whether a penalty is warranted. The IIHF rules don't provide for that leeway and this is clearly a penalty under IIHF rules.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Bob MacKenzie has changed his mind on the hit as well saying there was contact to the head.
Kassian was definately going for the " big hit " again. the only difference between this one and last years was that he did not leave his feet.
If it was a Canadian player that was the one that got hit, Canadian fans would be asking for a tournament suspension.
This is exactly the kind of hit the NHL is coming down hard on. It will be interesting to see what the decision is by IIHF

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That is pretty funny. The picture provides complete evidence. The head has already been impacted in that picture and is in the process of being "snapped" towards the left.

so you're trying to tell me that that picture proves that his head was contacted fractions of a second before that picture was taken? How exactly does that work? A 2D picture isn't evidence of what happened, you can't judge depth, you can't judge what actually happened before or after, it's just a snapshot of where everything is at that instant, I can put my hand on someone's face, take a picture, but that doesn't prove that I slapped them, and without the depth preception you can't even tell if the shoulder is contacting his head or not, turn the camera and you would be able to tell, 1 picture is nowhere near enough evidence. I'm not saying he didn't hit his head, I just think it's crazy saying this 2D picture in evidence that it did. Leave that up to the disiplenary committee to decide after looking at multiple camera angles. Whatever conclusion they come to is fine with me as they have the real evidence

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
It could of gone either way. Had he gotten up, there would of been no call.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The hit itself was fine. The timing was awful. Way late. Frankly, he deserves what he gets for hitting the guy that late. I mean, ****. The next Czech player who had the puck was making a pass of his own as the guy is getting hit. That hit is seriously late.

Dogbert*

If it was a Canadian player that was the one that got hit, Canadian fans would be asking for a tournament suspension.

I doubt that, since most Canadian fans - get this! - understand the game and the way it's meant to be played.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
so you're trying to tell me that that picture proves that his head was contacted fractions of a second before that picture was taken? How exactly does that work? A 2D picture isn't evidence of what happened, you can't judge depth, you can't judge what actually happened before or after, it's just a snapshot of where everything is at that instant, I can put my hand on someone's face, take a picture, but that doesn't prove that I slapped them, and without the depth preception you can't even tell if the shoulder is contacting his head or not, turn the camera and you would be able to tell, 1 picture is nowhere near enough evidence. I'm not saying he didn't hit his head, I just think it's crazy saying this 2D picture in evidence that it did. Leave that up to the disiplenary committee to decide after looking at multiple camera angles. Whatever conclusion they come to is fine with me as they have the real evidence

If one were inclined to do so one could set up a still to mislead. The "illusion" type pictures posted for reference are intended to deceive or create an illusion.

This still picture taken from an action video does provide enough evidence. Much different situation than intentionally misleading pictures such as you referenced.

Simply, the preponderance of the evidence provides enough information to make that decision.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
IIHF rules are different than NHL rules. Initial contact is less important than "directed contact," which can include a high follow through.

"A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body or equipment to the head and neck area of an opposing player or "drives" or "forces" the head of an opposing player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee a (variety of penalties, including a match for a hit that causes injury)."

That's rule 540, for those of you who are interested.

Thepuckdropshere

Mar 24, 2007
www.ronmycholuk.com
Late hit maybe. The only game he should miss is the one against Norway. Totally different than his hit in the OHL last year and this one was more a result of the fact that he is way bigger than the Czech player.
You keep making hits like that, you'll have a long and fruitful NHL career kid. If he can continue to harness his size, he'll be a good one for Buffalo down the road.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
The IIHF headshot rule clearly states that you have to direct your hit at the head and neck area. It's not that different, the hit was directed at the chest.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
Late hit maybe. The only game he should miss is the one against Norway. Totally different than his hit in the OHL last year and this one was more a result of the fact that he is way bigger than the Czech player.
You keep making hits like that, you'll have a long and fruitful NHL career kid. If he can continue to harness his size, he'll be a good one for Buffalo down the road.

Not true. The NHL is cracking down too and Kassian's hit was borderline with the new NHL rules.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522726

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
If one were inclined to do so one could set up a still to mislead. The "illusion" type pictures posted for reference are intended to deceive or create an illusion.

This still picture taken from an action video does provide enough evidence. Much different situation than intentionally misleading pictures such as you referenced.

Simply, the preponderance of the evidence provides enough information to make that decision.

I'd disagree and say that the video is much more powerful evidence than the still photo it's from, you haven't acknowledged it at all. The hit is not "directed" at the head. That's the key here.

And I doubt the NHL takes more than a quick look at this if it happened in an NHL game. The fact is, if Senkerik wasn't injured there wouldn't have been a big conference about it, that is indisputable.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
The IIHF headshot rule clearly states that you have to direct your hit at the head and neck area. It's not that different, the hit was directed at the chest.

Can't understand how someone can watch the video and the stillshot and continue arguing the position that the head wasn't hit. The shoulder made direct contact with the Czech's jaw.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
I'd disagree and say that the video is much more powerful evidence than the still photo it's from, you haven't acknowledged it at all. The hit is not "directed" at the head. That's the key here.

The video provides the same evidence but apparently is too fast for you to analyse.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

and exactly what evidence does that picture provide? It's 2 dimensional, we can't even be sure if his shoulder is touching his head or not as they're sort of overlapped which could mean they're touching or 1 is in front of the other from that angle, if you showed me a picture from 90 degrees clockwise and I saw no gap then I would say they're touching but depth cannot be proven from a 2 dimensional picture, and that's why it isn't evidence, and i'm not being pro canadian because as soon a I saw it I thought 5 and a game and possibly suspended for the tournament, however after watching the replay I honestly cannot tell if it's head or not so I'm gonna leave it up to the people who have multiple replays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad