WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
and exactly what evidence does that picture provide? It's 2 dimensional, we can't even be sure if his shoulder is touching his head or not as they're sort of overlapped which could mean they're touching or 1 is in front of the other from that angle, if you showed me a picture from 90 degrees clockwise and I saw no gap then I would say they're touching but depth cannot be proven from a 2 dimensional picture, and that's why it isn't evidence, and i'm not being pro canadian because as soon a I saw it I thought 5 and a game and possibly suspended for the tournament, however after watching the replay I honestly cannot tell if it's head or not so I'm gonna leave it up to the people who have multiple replays

This is so easy to understand, the photo holds no standing here. Especially since it's still not the initial contact. You can say that the initial contact isn't important, but that's not true. Where the hit is directed is the key here.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
and exactly what evidence does that picture provide? It's 2 dimensional, we can't even be sure if his shoulder is touching his head or not as they're sort of overlapped which could mean they're touching or 1 is in front of the other from that angle, if you showed me a picture from 90 degrees clockwise and I saw no gap then I would say they're touching but depth cannot be proven from a 2 dimensional picture, and that's why it isn't evidence, and i'm not being pro canadian because as soon a I saw it I thought 5 and a game and possibly suspended for the tournament, however after watching the replay I honestly cannot tell if it's head or not so I'm gonna leave it up to the people who have multiple replays

You are arguing for the sake of arguing; the picture is clear.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
You are arguing for the sake of arguing; the picture is clear.

And you aren't giving a counter argument that disputes the fact that.

1) The photo cannot show whether the shoulder is touching the head.

2) The photo doesn't show depth, whatsoever.

3) The photo doesn't show you where the hit was directed.

How in a world of video review does a still shot tell the entire story?

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
The NHL is cracking down on blindside hits to the head. This head wasn't anything of the nature.

I agree to a certain extent that this isn't representative of the videos that the NHL uses for examples however; it was certainly blindside and it was a hit to the head.

I don't believe for a second there was any intent on Kassian's part to deliver a hit to the head but that isn't required for the penalty to be assessed.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
hodge just said they dissected it in the 'tsn video lab', and it looks like chin/neck.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
And you aren't giving a counter argument that disputes the fact that.

1) The photo cannot show whether the shoulder is touching the head.

2) The photo doesn't show depth, whatsoever.

3) The photo doesn't show you where the hit was directed.

How in a world of video review does a still shot tell the entire story?

I am completely confident that in a court of law, a judge would absolutely accept the still as evidence as proof of ahit ot he head.

Unless you are missing some elemental understanding of physics and laws of nature I can't see how you can argue and suggest that there wasn't a hit to the head.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.

Not many people have suggested "dirty". In my opinion a dirty hit requires some intent, but it is most definitely a hit to the head.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I am completely confident that in a court of law, a judge would absolutely accept the still as evidence as proof of ahit ot he head.

Unless you are missing some elemental understanding of physics and laws of nature I can't see how you can argue and suggest that there wasn't a hit to the head.

You are looking at it the wrong way. Was the head/neck area touched, absolutely. However we are talking about the direction of the hit, the hit is clearly not directed at the head area. Hence why the initial contact was with the chest.

A piece of his neck/chin being clipped as a result of a hit to the sternum area doesn't constitute a head hit. Matt Cooke, Jeff Carter's head hits were directed at the head, and hit a large portion of the head. This was a slight clip of the jaw at most.

Aug 3, 2010

Not to mention, Kassian stands at 6'3 without shoulder pads adding to shoulder height.
Senkerik only stands at 5'11, so his chin's already at something like 5'6 area.
Senkerik would actually have to lift his chin not to even get clipped by a hit from Kassian on a good day...

I will say though that the hit was late, only a tad bit - and that Kassian was hunting. Not headhunting, but definitely looking to get that hit in.

Don't like the penalty + match + another game, but..
IIHF refs though did their duty... protect the players. It's their main priority. I don't like it necessarily, but I can't fight the logic.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
A penalty wasn't called until they brought out the stretcher. That should be proof enough that there shouldn't be a suspension.

I suspect the player will claim his career is over until Kassian's kicked out of the tournament and then come back the next game.

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
I would not say it is a headshot, but late hit? maaaybeee. not sure, to be honest. Hope Senkerik is ok

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008
You are looking at it the wrong way. Was the head/neck area touched, absolutely. However we are talking about the direction of the hit, the hit is clearly not directed at the head area. Hence why the initial contact was with the chest.

A piece of his neck/chin being clipped as a result of a hit to the sternum area doesn't constitute a head hit. Matt Cooke, Jeff Carter's head hits were directed at the head, and hit a large portion of the head. This was a slight clip of the jaw at most.

I think you are being too casual in your interpretation of "directed at the head". The check is directed at the head since Kassian's shoulder is higher than the other player's shoulder. Even though he probably intended to hit shoulder to shoulder, he missed and the hit ended up being shoulder to chin while Kassian's ribs make contact with the other player's arm/shoulder area.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
I would not say it is a headshot, but late hit? maaaybeee. not sure, to be honest. Hope Senkerik is ok

Word is that he was doing ok after the game. Whether ok means fit to play, that probably still has to be determined by physicians and such.

The Overseer*

The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.

Good canadian hockey!!

Beautiful hit, don't admire your passes kids.

Definitely not a headshot. That still photo doesn't tell the story since its not the initial contact. The tsn replay made it quite clear that this was a shoulder to chest hit.

Clean hit. Chickens**t call.

What picture evidence, we're talking initial point of contact here. That picture shows the result of a shoulder to the chest.

Canada can appeal to have the misconduct revoked, so there is not a sureshot suspension here.

Good clean hockey called a penalty by gutless Euro refs.

That's the long and short of it, folks.

I doubt that, since most Canadian fans - get this! - understand the game and the way it's meant to be played.

The IIHF headshot rule clearly states that you have to direct your hit at the head and neck area. It's not that different, the hit was directed at the chest.

The NHL is cracking down on blindside hits to the head. This hit wasn't anything of the nature.

A penalty wasn't called until they brought out the stretcher. That should be proof enough that there shouldn't be a suspension.

I suspect the player will claim his career is over until Kassian's kicked out of the tournament and then come back the next game.

A whole bunch of just plain wrong people in this thread.

endora2

Jan 3, 2010
According to doctor Pierre McGuire(who was the color analyst on Tsn), ...it was a clean hit that missed his head. He was talking as if the Czech player was embellishing the hit. Talking of how the Czech player was touching his helmut, as if he wasn't even hurt....as he was being stretchered off the ice. To paraphrase what Mr. KNowitall McGuire said: it was just the "big-body" presence of Cassian that collided with him.:banghead:

Aug 3, 2010

It's already being resolved by the IIHF, whether you feel wrong or right -

k535zb.jpg

No such thing as plain wrong - unless you're Kassian or Senkerik, you'll never know.

edit- can we close the thread yet? Everything that SHOULD be said has been said, and it's only going to get worse. :shakehead

Dogbert*

Good grief. You people need to find another sport to watch already. Not everyone went through with the Bettman-mandated post-lockout castration, you know.

Isn't there a jam session you could be attending right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->