TSN: Kassian for Scrivens

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I don't think anyone expects Scrivens to be the 2ND coming of Price.

but at the very least

Condon + Scrivens > Condon + Tokarski

We've got to stop the leak somehow....a goalie with some NHL experience is a start at least

The leak is on the other end of the ice. You know the one where they have failed to score more than 2 goals in 28 days?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm okay with this trade if something else is done about the offence. I think the two young goalies were getting tired and flip flopping between the two of them is not any good for either of their confidence.

However if this is the only deal, then MB needs to give his head a shake.

Before the season, and even after our hot start, everyone knew that we needed to add a top 6 RW of quality. This has not changed. It will be interesting to see what happens until the end of the year.

But the way that Carr is playing... He looks like the type of guy that deserves a shot to continue doing what he's doing.

At any rate, the cap space we have is accumulating. If we are to make a deadline deal, we will have more room at the deadline. That's when I'd expect a move. Unless we can find a way to shed some cap space in the mean time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So 9 games = not enough, but 19 is. Ok.

Did you bother reading what I originally said???

I said the following

"The sample size is too small, EITHER WAY, to make a call"

Man...you guys are so emotional right now, take a walk outside...

Jeez

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Uhh no.
The goal was to acquire a goaltender. Kassian is just a piece to the puzzle. Winning > paying someone 1.8 million to stay home. Winning generates more revenue. If the Habs management are worried about paying someone 1.8 million to stay home (which by itself is made up), then why would they buy out any players?

I enjoyed reading this la-la-land explaination though. 10/10 would read again.

Yeah, it's like trying to make a turdburger into filet mignon.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Kassian will do well in Bakersfield under head coach Gerry Fleming, a giant and tough Montreal boy. I really hope this trade comes back to bite MB in the ass !!!

The1Prodigy1

May 20, 2013
The primary goal is to trade Kassian. We were going to pay him 1.8M to stay home. We gave a shot to all teams to pick him on waivers, and no one wanted to take his 1.8M for free.

Secondary goal is that maybe Scrivens can be an upgrade on Tokarski whom we had no confidence in. Anything Scrivens can do better than Tokarski is a bonus.

But really this trade is all about getting rid of Kassian whom we didn't want reporting in SJ. Think what you will of that.

If that's the case, why not trade it for a draft pick? Instead of going even in Cap, we get more space (you keep saying that the point of the trade is not to get more salary, blablabla). I rather have a draft pick than have a 5th, i mean 6th goalie... maybe even 7th goalie

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The leak is on the other end of the ice. You know the one where they have failed to score more than 2 goals in 28 days?

I think it's both the goaltending and lack of scoring

And I think they're both inter-related

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Before the season, and even after our hot start, everyone knew that we needed to add a top 6 RW of quality. This has not changed. It will be interesting to see what happens until the end of the year.

But the way that Carr is playing... He looks like the type of guy that deserves a shot to continue doing what he's doing.

At any rate, the cap space we have is accumulating. If we are to make a deadline deal, we will have more room at the deadline. That's when I'd expect a move. Unless we can find a way to shed some cap space in the mean time.

So rather than fix what's broken NOW, lets wait longer because you know, Habs have been able to score at will.

The1Prodigy1

May 20, 2013
I don't think anyone expects Scrivens to be the 2ND coming of Price.

but at the very least

Condon + Scrivens > Condon + Tokarski

We've got to stop the leak somehow....a goalie with some NHL experience is a start at least

Yeah we got that NHL experience of losing. Fits right into our situation right now. Scrivens after his first defeat with MTL: "Don't worry guys, been there done that. It only get's easier from now now. Trust me, I am a pro at this".

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

The Habs have been blown out 2 times this month...if they were blown out every game on this skid, then sure goaltending can be a problem.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The goaltending isnt where it needs to be partly because they're not getting the support needed....

The offense is struggling because they're not getting the goaltending that inspires their confidence

It's both....not sure how anyone can deny that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So clearly....goals against ARE an issue (along with goals for, not ignoring that)

Early period goals have been KILLING the Habs during this stretch, you can see the confidence seep out of the Habs whenever that happens.

is this trade a band-aid? Yeah obviously....but you gotta start somewhere. addressing this particular need is a lot easier than addressing the scoring.

Addressing this need would mean trading for say, Gibson. Scrivens was having a terrible season in the AHL.

But this is Mtl, where every player signed or traded for is believed to be much better than they are.
Sure, there is a tiny chance Scrivens can work out, but that's it, it's tiny. I wouldn't bet on it. So did we address a need? I don't think so. Gonna need some explanation as to how a goalie who's been worse than ours is somehow fixing an issue.

We had a top 6 need since the summer. Actually we've had one for years. Don't you get tired of finding excuses for not addressing it? You always have an excuse man.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If that's the case, why not trade it for a draft pick? Instead of going even in Cap, we get more space (you keep saying that the point of the trade is not to get more salary, blablabla). I rather have a draft pick than have a 5th, i mean 6th goalie... maybe even 7th goalie

Dude, Kassian went unclaimed a few weeks ago, he's not a hot commodity at all. NHL teams have a limit of contract spots that complicate trading process.

The1Prodigy1

May 20, 2013

Ah right, because Price helps with the first pass right? Oh wait, we don't do that, we do the famous dump and lose the puck strategy.

Or do you mean, MT's favorite strategy of "Pricer stop DA puck" which involves us scoring 1-2 goals and hoping Price steals it for us?

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, take a couple months off after this dandy of a move MB! I can't imagine all the brain power used to create such a complex trade such as this one. This will surely get the team going!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Habs have been blown out 2 times this month...if they were blown out every game on this skid, then sure goaltending can be a problem.

But every game it seems like they give up that back breaking goal

Whether it's early-period goals, or goals that should have been saves...

There's no question that the lack of goals also has an effect on the goaltending....I can't deny that

But does anyone really think that adding a goal scorer magically resolves all of that???

Not like we're getting Tarasenko or Kane any time soon. There's not a single player who is going to solve the Habs issues right now.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Kassian will do well in Bakersfield under head coach Gerry Fleming, a giant and tough Montreal boy. I really hope this trade comes back to bite MB in the ass !!!
If it's as successful as when he traded Sekac, I think he won the trade.

A return is better than no return.

I think you're delusional, do you actually think we should have kept Kassian? GTFO, respectfully.

Last edited:

The1Prodigy1

May 20, 2013
The goaltending isnt where it needs to be partly because they're not getting the support needed....

The offense is struggling because they're not getting the goaltending that inspires their confidence

It's both....not sure how anyone can deny that.

Watching Condon play last game's 2nd period... don't know what Price woud've done more. If it wasn't for Condon the game woud've ended 7-1 Caps. But I mean, how dare Condon not stop all 3 goals and get a shutout? Am I right? Also, shoudn't it be the other way around? Rookie goalie in the net, shoudn't it be the team in front of him giving him confidence by scoring first goal, giving him a lead to work it? Also, I recall our captain and Plecky say, we are more than Price. Clearly they are not. They are far from it. This team goes as far as Price can bring him.... Which is not how it supposed to work. Every team has people built around their MVP. In Montreal, we rather let our MVP work the his ass off and put band aids around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's no doubt the goaltending can be better. But the real problem has been not being able to put pucks in the net. THAT's the prime reason we've lost games. The goalies haven't been great by any means but they haven't been THAT bad. Last season we went through a similar stretch where we scored one or two goals per game and Price just kept on winning. We can't rely on him right now.

And this just begs the question as to why we haven't seen more of Galchenyuk and why Ghetto isn't even in the freaking lineup. It also highlights the lack of getting a top RW in the offseason.

Kessel hasn't exactly lit it up in Pittsburgh, I wonder if they'd consider getting rid of him. Maybe it's not too late to go after that guy.

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Addressing this need would mean trading for say, Gibson. Scrivens was having a terrible season in the AHL.

But this is Mtl, where every player signed or traded for is believed to be much better than they are.
Sure, there is a tiny chance Scrivens can work out, but that's it, it's tiny. I wouldn't bet on it. So did we address a need? I don't think so. Gonna need some explanation as to how a goalie who's been worse than ours is somehow fixing an issue.

We had a top 6 need since the summer. Actually we've had one for years. Don't you get tired of finding excuses for not addressing it? You always have an excuse man.

Have a feeling that MB will address the top 6 position, however my only concern now, the wrong player will get moved, you look at recent trades, it's players that MT did not like, who looks to be getting a raw deal concerning ice time in the top 6 again this season, scary thought, #27

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Kassian couldn't be trade for a draft pick because his value was zero. The only value he had was for a player with a bad contract. That was the only way to trade him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

the Habs didn't need a long term solution to their goaltending (Gibson)

They just needed a short-term one

As for the top 6 need, where have you seen me ignore it? I didn't realize trade deadline had passed...

I know you got all hot and bothered by the Xmas trade freeze being lifted, but there's still a lot of time left between now and the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad