Speculation: Kassian extension coming?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Better hope he's attached to McDavid's hip for four more years or that's one expensive 4th liner.

member 290103

That is a solid deal, well done if true Holland. PC would have had it around 6 per!

It’s too much. You can’t pay bottom six guys $4m per. Look at the idiot in Vancouver and how he has hamstrung his team with similar stupid deals.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Reminds me of the Matt Martin deal. Palatable at first but suddenly 2 years in you need the cap for your growing team and it's hard to find a taker for a 4th liner that makes that much.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It’s too much. You can’t pay bottom six guys $4m per. Look at the idiot in Vancouver and how he has hamstrung his team with similar stupid deals.

Kassian is playing in their top 6. By the end of the deal he will be playing third line. With the Cap going up with the new TV deal this is the least of EDM problems.

EDM will be fine because they are going to have Bouchard and Broberg coming in on ELC. They need to dump Russell this offseason. Nurse is gonna get paid.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You make fun of that but the Hall contract ended up being one of the best contracts in the league.

Heard the same thing about Draisaitl and it's already a fantastic deal.

And quite honestly, when I’ve looked at what young players got paid coming off their ELCs, Jordan Eberle’s deal looks quite reasonable as well.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kassian is playing in their top 6. By the end of the deal he will be playing third line. With the Cap going up with the new TV deal this is the least of EDM problems.

EDM will be fine because they are going to have Bouchard and Broberg coming in on ELC. They need to dump Russell this offseason. Nurse is gonna get paid.

It's the overpaid bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen that often cause more cap pain then the overpaid top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen.

Reactions: Menzinger

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It's the overpaid bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen that often cause more cap pain then the overpaid top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen.

Your not wrong but if this comes in at 3.25-3.75 as reported it’s not a problem in the least. He is gonna put up 40+ points this season. If he does that again next year it certainly will not be a bad look. Plus every team has 2-3 million in overpayment.

EDM will have a number of bad contracts off the books by then. As said they need to move Russell This summer, obviously it will be hard because of his NMC. They also have a few highly touted prospects on ELC. Provided Bouchard and Broberg can play an NHL game and they get some help with players like Cooper or other forwards they should be fine.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
3.5 per would be completely fine. He’s producing at close to the same clip Tom Wilson is. Does anyone think Washington regrets that contract? Not a chance. There is so much more value to having a guy like Wilson or Kassian playing on the top line than just numbers. As well, Kassian is a big part of the locker room.

4 years @ 3.5 per will be a really solid deal for both parties.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I don't think the Oilers will get him for that with the year that he's having now. He's on pace to score 25+ goals and 50+ pts. Plus he provides the grit that so many teams desire.

He plays with McDavid.

He adds 20+ points. You don't pay a player for McDavid production.

member 290103

You mean the team that is 1st in their division?

Yes. The same team that is one point out of fifth in their division and that has several young players on soon to be expiring cheap deals but that is overloaded with bloated contracts for ineffective veterans.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I said that it better be only 2 years, but I will back off a bit. I will say now that I just hope there is no NTC, or at least a very limited one.

A bad contract can be okay if you have a path out of it, without needing a rare find like the Neal trade

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really reminds me of the Kris Russell deal.

a year too long as about 500k too much.
It's actually really similar to the Andreas Johnsson deal. ~40 points while tethered to elite players. The difference is Johnsson gets PP time.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Your not wrong but if this comes in at 3.25-3.75 as reported it’s not a problem in the least. He is gonna put up 40+ points this season. If he does that again next year it certainly will not be a bad look. Plus every team has 2-3 million in overpayment.

EDM will have a number of bad contracts off the books by then. As said they need to move Russell This summer, obviously it will be hard because of his NMC. They also have a few highly touted prospects on ELC. Provided Bouchard and Broberg can play an NHL game and they get some help with players like Cooper or other forwards they should be fine.

The big cap problems with this season are Gagner and Manning ($5.5M total). That money will go to Nurse's raise and it bit to Kassian.

If Russell stays it means we won't get a new winger. If Benson can slide into the top-6 then that's cheap depth... if not... Russell may need to go. It's also why I don't want to trade JP and force him to return like Nuke did for the Stars.

It's Pouliot and Sekera's buyouts are kinda drags. Thanks Chia.

Reactions: TFHockey

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The big cap problems with this season are Gagner and Manning ($5.5M total). That money will go to Nurse's raise and it bit to Kassian.

If Russell stays it means we won't get a new winger. If Benson can slide into the top-6 then that's cheap depth... if not... Russell may need to go. It's also why I don't want to trade JP and force him to return like Nuke did for the Stars.

It's Pouliot and Sekera's buyouts are kinda drags. Thanks Chia.

Ya the issue with Russell is that NMC. Holland has to say to him he will not see a minute of ice time next year so waive and we will try to work something out or see your career stop for a year.

It will likely take a decent pick to move him but you free up that 4 million EDM will be in good shape.

Not sure if Broberg is ready but I basically see this as your D corps next year

Klefbom Bear
Nurse Bouchard
Broberg Larsson
Jones

Jones stays up if Broberg needs more seasoning which is my guess.

Personally I would look at Lehner if you can get him on a reasonable contract.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ya the issue with Russell is that NMC. Holland has to say to him he will not see a minute of ice time next year so waive and we will try to work something out or see your career stop for a year.

It will likely take a decent pick to move him but you free up that 4 million EDM will be in good shape.

Klefbom Bear
Nurse Bouchard
Broberg Larsson
Jones

Russell has a 15 team trade list next season and is only making $1.5M actual dollars.

He shouldn't be too hard to move.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Klefbom Bear
Nurse Bouchard
Broberg Larsson
Jones

1) Russell has a modified NTC according to this Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
2) Heck no to Broberg and Bouchard playing in the NHL next season. That's rushing them. Broberg is getting the Klefbom/Petry treatment.
3) Where's Matt Benning? He's default 3rd RHD and decent in that role.
4) I think Lagesson is ready (always liked him more than Jones) and he could replace Russell but again that's rushing him as a rookie.

I think the pairs will be next season:

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell/Jones/Lagesson Benning
Jones/Lagesson with Bouchard getting a callup during injuries.

Russell makes too much for the bottom-pair but Jones/Lagesson are too raw to be trusted full-time. Especially if we plan to make the playoffs and make noise in it.

The year after (with Seattle Expansion Draft) will be quite different... lots of contracts expire and Bouchard and Broberg should get NHL time.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
He’ll be asking for Wilson money........

.......almost the same situation.

3/4 line player that puts up decent numbers when playing with elite talent.

If I’m his agent.....that’s the comparable I’m going in with.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He’ll be asking for Wilson money........

.......almost the same situation.

3/4 line player that puts up decent numbers when playing with elite talent.

If I’m his agent.....that’s the comparable I’m going in with.

Ferland is the comparable IMO - who broke out to 40pt seasons before signing his deal. Kassian's been in the 30pt-ish range his entire career and only this season is he poised to break 30pt for the first time. Wilson has 60pt potential this season. Doubt Kassian hits that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad