Injury Report: Kasperi Kapanen out with Concussion

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If its a concussion we should expect the same timeline that Kadri was out which was 5-6 games. In the end we need him at 100% for the playoffs. In the meantime gives Babcock some time to figure things out with his forward lines. I would like to Babcock try these lines out:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Ennis-Kadri-Moore
Marleau-Goat-Petan

I know some of you may think that its nuts to take Hyman off of Tavares/Marner line, but Hyman worked with Matthews/Nylander before. If we can somehow get them going as a unit once again, and Johnsson takes off on Tavares wing. Why not give it a shot???

When Kapanen comes back if it works roll with these lines:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Marleau

Marleau has to be put on 4th line duty and PP 2nd unit time only. His minutes need to be monitored and Moore needs to move up. Everytime Moore is on the ice the game changes. Put him within some offensive players. See what he can do.

Reactions: FADYB

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
This sucks. But more time with Matthew and Nylander together should be good. Likely see the same forward lineup as we did against Tampa.

At least we have the depth that it won't hurt too much.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If its a concussion we should expect the same timeline that Kadri was out which was 5-6 games. In the end we need him at 100% for the playoffs. In the meantime gives Babcock some time to figure things out with his forward lines. I would like to Babcock try these lines out:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Ennis-Kadri-Moore
Marleau-Goat-Petan

I know some of you may think that its nuts to take Hyman off of Tavares/Marner line, but Hyman worked with Matthews/Nylander before. If we can somehow get them going as a unit once again, and Johnsson takes off on Tavares wing. Why not give it a shot???

When Kapanen comes back if it works roll with these lines:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Goat-Marleau

Marleau has to be put on 4th line duty and PP 2nd unit time only. His minutes need to be monitored and Moore needs to move up. Everytime Moore is on the ice the game changes. Put him within some offensive players. See what he can do.
Yeah. I'm really looking for all the "Hyman is trash" posts when the line is not producing.
If it is true that Matthews complained about Hyman last year, there is zero chance he will get moved onto that line.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That's crazy.

On a positive note Nylander remains with Matthews for at least another week or so. Hopefully enough time for them to gel going into the playoffs. Would be awesome to have our top 2 scoring lines solidified. When Kapanen comes back put him with Kadri for a new formed concussion line (I know not funny).
Hopefully it’s a low grade concussion, but if they thought he had the flu then realized it was a concussion....

Call them the Recovery Line when he gets back. Marleau likes to recover in an ice bath.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I hate to see players injured but this could be a blessing in disguise, in terms on reuniting AM & WN.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bit worried, if they actuallythought he had the flu, because that means his symptoms are bad.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well, if our Leafs end up having to trade him, at least we know he's had a concussion, and, maybe prone to them again.

Get well Kapanen.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
FFS they should have quaranteened Kadri!
I hope Kappy gets better soon, his speed will be missed.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
You could tell that crash into the boards was serious.

He hasn't been quite right since.

Hope he takes his time to recover fully.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This is awful, but Nylander has to force Babs' hand at this point and make it so he can't take him off Matthews line.

Get better soon Kappy :(

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This is awful, but Nylander has to force Babs' hand at this point and make it so he can't take him off Matthews line.

Get better soon Kappy :(
willy better produce or he ll punch his own ticket out of town

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Bit worried, if they actuallythought he had the flu, because that means his symptoms are bad.
Agree with your statement, but did a Leafs representative ever say that they thought he had the flu?

My recollection is that the Leafs said he was a scratch for "precautionary reasons" and media and staff inferred from that that he had the flu, since the flu is going through the Leafs dressing room.

I thought that it was strange to state "precautionary reasons" for the flu, but normal for a concussion.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Once

Jul 16, 2010
No injury should be considered a blessing ever. JMHO.

I agree.

The absence may give Kappy time to rest up, given it is his first full NHL season. I'm banking on his stomach flu not being linked to the concussion. My original comment was hyperbole.

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad