News Article: Kasperi Kapanen Discussion

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Whatever... **** happens. Really can't believe how upset people are over this.

Never underestimate Leafs fans ability to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Guy did something dumb in the heat of the moment. That's it. the fact people latch onto these moments that lasted mere seconds as some sort of defining moment for a player is just nonsense

Reactions: NCoRe

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Never underestimate Leafs fans ability to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Guy did something dumb in the heat of the moment. That's it. the fact people latch onto these moments that lasted mere seconds as some sort of defining moment for a player is just nonsense
In all fairness, last game wasn't an issue for me. Its the EDIT: 21 points in his last 55 games playing exclusively with one or more of Matthews, Marner, and Tavares that is the issue for me.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In all fairness, last game wasn't an issue for me. Its the 19 points in his last 48 games playing exclusively with one or more of Matthews, Marner, and Tavares that is the issue for me.

Oh dont get me wrong,I think a group of fans here overrated him after his insanely high sh% for the first part of last season.. that said, down the road he does make a potentially ideal trade chip.

I just cant stand the idea of some.folks pointing to an individual play to justify a trade like this. And trading him oy nakes sense if the team gets back something it needs in the roster rather than futures.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
if he plays well tonight it will all be forgotten and we can get to the more important things that require complaining about...marners video!!:popcorn:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I was pretty upset with Kappy that night, and I know it was really stupid of him but he is still a very useful player. We all make some stupid mistakes in our lives and that's exactly what happened and we should all spare him and move on

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Mikheyev was on that line after a PP, but Kappy didn’t have much TOI on it anyways so I’m thinking he got demoted...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Demote this guy. Man there was a rumour he was to be traded, if he were, Dubas would have hit genius status.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Demote this guy. Man there was a rumour he was to be traded, if he were, Dubas would have hit genius status.
He will probably be a victim of the cap situation next year anyway.
I would still like a Kadri type winger for Matthews/Nylander. Someone with 20 goals and jam down low/corners.

Then Johnsson and Kapanen funds can be diverted into D.
Moore/Kerfoot/Mich/Goat/Korshkov/etc. can round out the rest.

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He will probably be a victim of the cap situation next year anyway.
I would still like a Kadri type winger for Matthews/Nylander. Someone with 20 goals and jam down low/corners.

Then Johnsson and Kapanen funds can be diverted into D.
Moore/Kerfoot/Mich/Goat/Korshkov/etc. can round out the rest.

Moore and Miky are the real deal jam brother. Those guys got more jam in them than AJ and Kappy for days.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Moore and Miky are the real deal jam brother. Those guys got more jam in them than AJ and Kappy for days.
They have more jam for sure but I just don't know if they have beside Matthews/Nylander upside + jam.
They could, but there is a tier between them and a Kadri/Oshie type player.
For me it's:
This missing aggressive guy with skill...Matthews...Nylander
Hyman...JT...Marner

The rest is fine

Then D please and backup goalie.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They have more jam for sure but I just don't know if they have beside Matthews/Nylander upside + jam.
They could, but there is a tier between them and a Kadri/Oshie type player.
For me it's:
This missing aggressive guy with skill...Matthews...Nylander
Hyman...JT...Marner

The rest is fine

Then D please and backup goalie.

Could be Miky, he seems to have some great raw skills. I bet playing with JT would refine him. Guy never played with really good players before in his life.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mikheyev is like the Leafs' Pascal Siakam.

Kapanen has been a poor fit on the Tavares line. But the Tavares Marner duo hasn't been good either.

Reactions: moon111

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Let's just say Kapanen's comments did not help in decreasing the impression that hockey players don't know all the rules of their sport.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Next year we will have to make a decision on D.
Rank your D UFA priority.
For me it would be:
1. Barrie
2. Muzzin
3. Ceci

Barrie is being paid 2.5 mil by us this year. Remove Kapanen and Ceci for 7 mil.
If Muzzin will accept close to the same salary then I would look to retain him.
Moving forward it is nice to have 3 established 3 breaking in and a final cheaper option like a Polak style.

This makes someone like Kapanen a casualty. D is more important. Even Johnsson is less important than D now that we have committed to 4 up front.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I think Kapanen must be uncomfortable playing on his off side because he’s definitely better then he’s showing so far. Still not sure why it’s not Moore there, he’s fast, is good at puck retrieval and Kapanen isn’t great at it. Hyman is probably our best forward at puck retrieval and maybe that’s what the line is missing. I sure Kapanen is going to find his game once he’s on the third line playing against third line players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Decent enough player but not suited to face the type of players that Marner and Tavares match up against.
Not really his fault, he's just over his head. Hyman will be back soon enough.

Reactions: kb and Mad hatter

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have an issue with the way people are treating the problems of the Kapanen-Tavares-Marner group as if it's all because Hyman being out and Kapanen that has replaced him to blame. That's completely unfair to Kasperi tbh. He hasn't been as good as he can be overall, he clearly can give more and is working through some adjustment on his off-wing, but let's be real here Tavares and Marner are 22 million of the 25 1/2 million on that line. They are paid to be elite level play drivers, not Kapanen. They are the ones not getting it done. Hanging this on Kapanen is scapegoating and even the coach got in on it last night during the press conference which is very disappointing to see him not have Kappy's back. Especially considering, I thought, Kapanen was excellent last night.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have an issue with the way people are treating the problems of the Kapanen-Tavares-Marner group as if it's all because Hyman being out and Kapanen that has replaced him to blame. That's completely unfair to Kasperi tbh. He hasn't been as good as he can be overall, he clearly can give more and is working through some adjustment on his off-wing, but let's be real here Tavares and Marner are 22 million of the 25 1/2 million on that line. They are paid to be elite level play drivers, not Kapanen. They are the ones not getting it done. Hanging this on Kapanen is scapegoating and even the coach got in on it last night during the press conference which is very disappointing to see him not have Kappy's back. Especially considering, I thought, Kapanen was excellent last night.
Yeah I agree completely. Guys like Tavares and Marner shouldn't be handicapped by the wrong complementary player. It's not Kapanen that makes Tavares disappear out of games. It's not Kapanen that makes Marner blindly throw chance passes around and take bad shots.

Those two will find their game sooner or later and all we're actually talking about is a bad stretch of games, but we also have to admit that it is a bad stretch of games for them.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad