Post-Game Talk: Kasperi "Fastest Player On Earth" Kapanen with 2 | Leafs 4 Kings 1 (Matthews doesnt score ~ bust)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Phil did not have a lot of value at the time. Seriously, what did you expect to get for him? 8 mil contract, wanted to play for only a couple of teams, basically quit on his coach and team. It was a gutless performance by him (and the rest of the team) in the second half of 2014-2015. Let's call a spade a spade here. You shouldn't have expected to get a King's ransom for him at the time.

people tend to ignore that bit. a lot
nothing was wrong with what we got back
pens got what they needed
we got what we needed
life goes on.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
thats an option but hes not waiver exempt and hes in a perfect situation to learn up with the big club. he can learn the system, adjust to playing against NHLers while having 0 pressure to perform offensively. just like kapanen last year. we have seen much of what he can do here when hes on his game. i dont see goat as a player that deserves a chance over johnsson once nylander is back.
are you positive AJ is not waiver exempt?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I was really impressed with how the Leaf forwards kept coming back into the zone to support the D. Hopefully that lesson sticks.
Matthews was all over kopitar in the defensive zone.

He's really leading by example and with his emotion out there.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Conveniently forgetting the 2nd round pick we gave up for Freddy thats not accounted for here.... or the 1.2 million cap hit for Kessel retention for another 4 years (where every penny counts)

It's not convenient... I simply don't sit around looking and aching for things to bitch and moan about.

We are 6-1 to start the season and sit atop the league and scoring races.

But people are still harping on a trade that happened years ago now.

If anyone is 'responsible' for us not getting the value for Phil that some people deemed necessary....it is the media and the 'fans' who insulted him at every corner and dragged his name and rep thru the mud every damn chance they got. He couldn't even get a f***ing hotdog or a burger without people calling him fat and slow. Even tho his ongoing treatment from his testicular cancer was what gave him the appearance of being out of shape.

He only lead the team in scoring every season while carrying the team on his back when it was one of the worst leaf teams I've seen in over 45 years of bleeding blue and white.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's not convenient... I simply don't sit around looking and aching for things to ***** and moan about.

If anyone is 'responsible' for us not getting the value for Phil that some people deemed necessary....it is the media and the 'fans' who insulted him at every corner and dragged his name and rep thru the mud every damn chance they got. He couldn't even get a ****ing hotdog or a burger without people calling him fat and slow. Even tho his ongoing treatment from his testicular cancer was what gave him the appearance of being out of shape.

He only lead the team in scoring every season while carrying the team on his back when it was one of the worst leaf teams I've seen in over 45 years of bleeding blue and white.

i would say his play the last two seasons + his contract were bigger reasons, but sure we could blame the fans and the media.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I guess some people would have preferred to keep fatass and draft Puljujarvi instead of Matthews. Smartest fan base on HF :)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not convenient... I simply don't sit around looking and aching for things to ***** and moan about.

If anyone is 'responsible' for us not getting the value for Phil that some people deemed necessary....it is the media and the 'fans' who insulted him at every corner and dragged his name and rep thru the mud every damn chance they got. He couldn't even get a ****ing hotdog or a burger without people calling him fat and slow. Even tho his ongoing treatment from his testicular cancer was what gave him the appearance of being out of shape.

No, Phil is responsible for Phil. His play was atrocious in the second half of 2014- 2015.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
AJ seems to lack the energy he had at the end of last season. He has had asthma issues before. I'm wondering whether it has cropped up again or if his medication turned out to be on the banned substances list (every medication I'm taking is banned by the world anti-doping agency).

P.S. AJ is subject to waivers. I'm guessing that he'd never pass through them as he would be a worthwhile project for many organizations.

I remember one game last season. The other team had possession of the puck in the deep corner. They looked for a pass to the point, but Komarov had it covered like a blanket. With that option eliminated, the pass went to the front of the net where someone failed their coverage and they scored. And a whack load of fans were blaming Komarov . Then Andreas Johnnson steps on, he's skating around like a madman. Fans are loving the energy he brings. Other team has possession, same corner, but look, the point is open! Where oh where is AJ? He failed to cover the point and they scored. ...think fans were blaming that on Komarov as well. The fact is, in developing Andreas Johnnson at the NHL
level, part of that is going to relying on a systematic defensive system over puck-chasing.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I guess some people would have preferred to keep fatass and draft Puljujarvi instead of Matthews. Smartest fan base on HF :)

...where on earth did you get that from? :laugh:

There's a pretty big difference between "I don't think we got good value in the Kessel trade" and "I would have kept him".

Yikes. Can't even mention the Kessel trades in passing without causing a shitstorm. :laugh:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
i would say his play the last two seasons + his contract were bigger reasons, but sure we could blame the fans and the media.

Oh don't get me wrong...some of the blame definitely lands on Phil's shoulders but the media and fans attacking everything about him sure didn't help. Larry Murphy all.over again... and surprise surprise Murphy and Kessel both went on to win cups elsewhere.
Hell Phil arguably should have won the Con Smythe during that first cup run of Pitts.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Oh don't get me wrong...some of the blame definitely lands on Phil's shoulders but the media and fans attacking everything about him sure didn't help. Larry Murphy all.over again... and surprise surprise Murphy and Kessel both went on to win cups elsewhere.
Hell Phil arguably should have won the Con Smythe during that first cup run of Pitts.

honestly i feel using the media/fans as an excuse to why a team gets 'lower' quality in a return is just as silly as saying the media helps a player get bigger deal. (I mean in general - i've seen this stated a lot. heck i've said it a lot and looking at it i think it's silly). I think 2 years of crappy play by everyone's standards is what did it, combined with having a high contract and a very limited NMC, and the Leafs desire to move from him a.s.a.p.

there were many issues i had with Phil, all of them that I'll stand behind but once he moved from the Leafs, i was meh (I really don't care about him either way). i do believe he should have won the Smythe that year (but his playoff acumen was never in doubt with me). anyway. lol it's ancient history, and we is a good team so i'm happy lol

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
honestly i feel using the media/fans as an excuse to why a team gets 'lower' quality in a return is just as silly as saying the media helps a player get bigger deal. (I mean in general - i've seen this stated a lot. heck i've said it a lot and looking at it i think it's silly). I think 2 years of crappy play by everyone's standards is what did it, combined with having a high contract and a very limited NMC, and the Leafs desire to move from him a.s.a.p.

there were many issues i had with Phil, all of them that I'll stand behind but once he moved from the Leafs, i was meh (I really don't care about him either way). i do believe he should have won the Smythe that year (but his playoff acumen was never in doubt with me). anyway. lol it's ancient history, and we is a good team so i'm happy lol

I agree with you in theory that it is silly to think differently of a player based upon his reputation and issues with the media and fans. But it isn't like it hasn't happened before.

If a team has a choice between two players

One who does his job while flying under the radar of the media and rabid fan's.

One who with everywhere and everything he does causes a furvor with media and fans alike.

Which player is more attractive to most of the teams in the league?

Also, yes Phil's stats and play the last couple of years he was here suffered. Thats indespuitable. But at the same time we had the worst team in my memory along with the fact that it was obvious we were tanking for Matthews. Combine that with the media and fans watching everything he did and ate while blaming him for the teams play. All the while management failed to give him anyone super skilled to play with. Hard to blame him for the way things went. He sure looked like a new man playing in Pitts. He finally could get a hotdog without being called a fat f***

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I agree with you in theory that it is silly to think differently of a player based upon his reputation and issues with the media and fans. But it isn't like it hasn't happened before.

If a team has a choice between two players

One who does his job while flying under the radar of the media and rabid fan's.

One who with everywhere and everything he does causes a furvor with media and fans alike.

Which player is more attractive to most of the teams in the league?

Also, yes Phil's stats and play the last couple of years he was here suffered. Thats indespuitable. But at the same time we had the worst team in my memory along with the fact that it was obvious we were tanking for Matthews. Combine that with the media and fans watching everything he did and ate while blaming him for the teams play. All the while management failed to give him anyone super skilled to play with. Hard to blame him for the way things went. He sure looked like a new man playing in Pitts. He finally could get a hotdog without being called a fat ****

i've said it before, and i will hold firm on this.
if you track the timeline between when Shanahan/Babcock came in, read their comments and when Phil was traded, I feel there were just other issues that they didn't want anymore. because, remember they rehabbed Dion's reputation (and he wasn't much loved before Babs got here).

also. no one called out Phil for liking hot dogs (yes here, people slammed him about being overweight etc but iii just ignored that stuff). I know that around these parts people hate Simmons and they hate him but i always took it like this is where he likes hanging out and the guy will miss his haunt. (ie: when I had to leave my job, I miss my favourite coffee shop/yarn store). everyone else took it as a slam, an invitation to (continue) hate on Phil.

if a GM is worth his salt they do a little CSI on the situation. i can't talk about Larry Murphy, that was way before my time,, etc, but i think what drives me bananas is that this happens with other teams in other leagues but it's always bubbles down to "it's only a Toronto Maple Leafs thing." which - not true. (but I do/understand your point though).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Are you The Winter Soldier in hiding?

Your arguments are about as solid as a piece of bread soaking in water for days.

Mark Messier, second liner.

Where does Marner play in Toronto?

Where does Tavares play in Toronto?

Where does Kapanen play in Toronto?

Where did Komarov play in Toronto a few years ago?

Where you play is determined not just by your talent, but also by your style of play, and by the talents and styles of the rest of the team.

Kessel has a great shot, but not the style or temperament of a top line player.

If you look at just where they play right now, Kessel is on the second line, and Kapanen is on the first, both on contending teams, so we clearly won the trade, right? Silly statement, I know, but no worse than "we got screwed".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad